By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

Dulfite said:
So is it safe to assume in the next year that any games "starting" development at Nintendo do will be cross gen or Switch 2 exclusives? Not the ones they are already working on obviously.

Not really, depends how big the game is. They can start a new project now and finish it a while before the successor launches, or start a project now and not finish it till a couple of years after the successor.

They certainly may have projects in development that will launch on the Switch successor. BOTW development began in 2012, the same year the WiiU released and still ended up a cross-gen title.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

Probably been in developement for along while, this is likely just to help get it accross the finish line earlier.
Hire more people.

It's not in Nintendo's interest to release Switch 2 any time soon anyway, so there's no need to rush.

That's right because Nvidia and Nintendo are developing MidGen upgrade or Switch 1.5 to be released by holiday 2021

Couldn't this technically also be for a mid-gen upgrade aka. a "Switch Pro"?
"next generation graphics", doesn't necessarily mean it's for a next gen console (though of course they wouldn't directly state that regardless).
But wouldn't DLSS 2.0 be rather convenient feature for making games look better on a Switch Pro without making the games themselves so demanding that they can't run on the original Switch?
Being for the next console might still be more likely, since it could just be starting development now and is maybe too ambitious for a mid-gen upgrade, but I don't think we can rule out this possibility either.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Couldn't this technically also be for a mid-gen upgrade aka. a "Switch Pro"?
"next generation graphics", doesn't necessarily mean it's for a next gen console (though of course they wouldn't directly state that regardless).
But wouldn't DLSS 2.0 be rather convenient feature for making games look better on a Switch Pro without making the games themselves so demanding that they can't run on the original Switch?
Being for the next console might still be more likely, since it could just be starting development now and is maybe too ambitious for a mid-gen upgrade, but I don't think we can rule out this possibility either.

Hmm, to your point, why would they focus on making this if the Switch 2 won't be launched for 3 years? Maybe they are working on a midgen upgrade.

A MidGen upgrade a.k.a Switch Pro or Switch 1.5 is in the works. Once it is released in Holiday 2021, the original Switch will have its much awaited price cut to become $249 or $229 and the upgraded Switch will assume the $299 price tag. It will be released alongside with some of the most demanding third party games available in PS4 and XB1.

Around the Network

If any console desperately needs DLSS it's certainly whatever Nintendo releases next.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

wohufana said:

A MidGen upgrade a.k.a Switch Pro or Switch 1.5 is in the works. Once it is released in Holiday 2021, the original Switch will have its much awaited price cut to become $249 or $229 and the upgraded Switch will assume the $299 price tag. It will be released alongside with some of the most demanding third party games available in PS4 and XB1.

We just got a midgen Switch update.

Switch 2 in 2021/22 depending on the sales number of Switch 1.

DLSS would be game-changing tech for small devices but I can see Loltendo removing it just for fun times.

I am still waiting for some similar tech to emerge on smartphones, pretty amazing that Nvidia has a quasi monopoly right now.

Last edited by numberwang - on 29 July 2020

Yes! I have been fapping to DLSS 2.0 for months now and it really is a secret sauce worthy feature. By the time the switch 2 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rumored 3.0.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

numberwang said:
wohufana said:

We just got a midgen Switch update.

Switch 2 in 2021/22 depending on the sales number of Switch 1.

DLSS would be game-changing tech for small devices but I can see Loltendo removing it just for fun times.

I am still waiting for some similar tech to emerge on smartphones, pretty amazing that Nvidia has a quasi monopoly right now.

Battery life upgrade? YES. MidGen upgrade? NO, not yet

curl-6 said:
If R&D for the chipset is gearing up now, a 2023 release for Switch 2 seems likely.

Well, may as well just be a Switch+ or something else along the lines of a NEW 3DS