By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

Everyone saying switch 2 in 2023. That’s way too late imo. How do they expect to get third party games with the current switch hardware consistently failing to hit 30 fps on downgraded settings?

Around the Network
FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

Everyone saying switch 2 in 2023. That’s way too late imo. How do they expect to get third party games with the current switch hardware consistently failing to hit 30 fps on downgraded settings?

I think it depends on how the Switch continues to sell in the coming years. Although it's nice to have some third party games I'm not sure how much of a draw they are for people coming to the system. As long as the first party support is there and the games continue to look "good enough" in the eyes of consumers compared to the others then I think it'll sell well and 2023 is a realistic possibility for the release of their next console. If sales tank then yeah, I agree that it'll come out sooner.

I don't think they will go down too hard, too fast though. I'm expecting 2022 at the earliest, 2024 at the latest.

The earlier they release Switch 2, the less capable it will be of running third party ports from PS5/XSX.

Besides, AAA ports aren't really what's selling the Switch. So long as it gets Nintendo games and AA/indie support from third parties, the current Switch will cruise through 2021/2022 no problem.

4-5 years is too soon to replace a system that's selling faster than the PS4.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Top selling games on Nintendo systems are 1st party games while top selling games on Sony/MS systems are 3rd party games so...

Random_Matt said:
Dropping Switch quickly perhaps? Five years is enough to be honest, perhaps Nintendo could sell it cheaper alongside a Switch 2.

They are going to sell like 25 million units in it's fourth year with only Animal crossing, Paper Mario and probably 1 or 2 more.

The price is still the one at launch, no way they will drop it that early. They even said we are now entering the midlife of Switch's cycle. Which means it will be probably more around 7 years total.

Anywayz, this technology would be everything for the Switch 2. It could even be in a Switch pro if that releases one day. I can already see Botw using it in the great plateau and the korok area. 

Around the Network

If anything, I think 2023 is too early. The Switch is really hitting its stride and think it’s got a lot of gas left in its tank. Releasing a Switch 2 in 2023 (6 years) I feel would cut some off its legs from underneath when it’s outpacing the PS4, which got 7 years. I think 7 years (2024) is the sweet spot.

haha a job posting appears so suddenly people are all like "Switch 2 coming soon!".

Let's be realistic, Switch 2 is still several years out, probably 3 years away at the absolute earliest. A single job posting doesn't mean Nintendo is gonna suddenly kill off for no reason the hottest video game system in over a decade. I don't get what people's fascination is with Nintendo cutting lifecycles drastically short but it won't happen, Nintendo has even stated numerous times Switch will be around for a while.

I could see this being for an upgraded Switch, as no doubt a premium version of the Switch will come out at some point in the next year or two that probably ramps up the performance of those demanding AAA third party ports on the Switch that have to run with low fps and low resolution. Switch Pro at $300 that gives the ultimate experience for those high end games that barely run on the Switch now, meanwhile OG Switch drops do like $230. Makes sense to me. Probably get more third party ports on the Switch then for the next few years, with the games being at least playable but not a great experience on OG/Lite but run smooth and clear on the Pro or whatever.

Anyway, this is either for a beefed up Switch Pro that'll play games with higher res/fps or it's early R&D for Switch 2 which is still probably around 4 years out - so early chipset R&D on that would make sense as Switch 2 chipset will probably be out in 2022 going by the fact that the Switch chipset came out in 2015.

I don't think a "Switch Pro" is happening.

We're already into the second half of 2020 and there's no reliable murmurs on a Switch Pro at all, whereas for the Mariko model revisions we had a ton of chatter.

I think you'll maybe get a "New Switch" type revision with a larger screen for both the main line and Lite models (easy enough to eat into the dead bezel space), maybe even a further die shrink to 7nm or 8nm but a full on Pro like the PS4 Pro/XBX I don't think is happening.

If it was I think we'd have heard more about it. Nvidia recruiting for a chip that has next-generation graphics and DLSS 2.0 integration points much moreso to well a next generation Switch. DLSS requires completely different hardware that the current Switch simply doesn't even have to begin with (Tensor cores).

To make a new chip with Tensor cores would be expensive, it's not the like DSi and New 3DS where they basically just kept the same GPU and just overclocked the CPU and threw in some extra RAM. You can't do DLSS 2.0 with just more RAM and higher clocked CPUs ... even the PS5 and XSX can't do DLSS 2.0 in the same way Nvidia does. It requires Tensor cores. 

Besides that a Switch Pro "for third party games" in 2021 doesn't make a whole lot of sense as most 3rd parties are moving on to the PS5/XSX, the Switch would need a full next-generation architecture to be able to get any of those ports. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 30 July 2020

While this would be great news, I also want to point out that the Nvidia shield uses the tegra X1 as well.

Soundwave said:

I don't think a "Switch Pro" is happening.

We're already into the second half of 2020 and there's no reliable murmurs on a Switch Pro at all, whereas for the Mariko model revisions we had a ton of chatter.

I think you'll maybe get a "New Switch" type revision with a larger screen for both the main line and Lite models (easy enough to eat into the dead bezel space), maybe even a further die shrink to 7nm or 8nm but a full on Pro like the PS4 Pro/XBX I don't think is happening.

If it was I think we'd have heard more about it. Nvidia recruiting for a chip that has next-generation graphics and DLSS 2.0 integration points much moreso to well a next generation Switch. DLSS requires completely different hardware that the current Switch simply doesn't even have to begin with (Tensor cores).

To make a new chip with Tensor cores would be expensive, it's not the like DSi and New 3DS where they basically just kept the same GPU and just overclocked the CPU and threw in some extra RAM. You can't do DLSS 2.0 with just more RAM and higher clocked CPUs ... even the PS5 and XSX can't do DLSS 2.0 in the same way Nvidia does. It requires Tensor cores. 

Besides that a Switch Pro "for third party games" in 2021 doesn't make a whole lot of sense as most 3rd parties are moving on to the PS5/XSX, the Switch would need a full next-generation architecture to be able to get any of those ports. 

I don't think Nintendo is aiming for those 3rd party games to be released on PS5 and series X because there are truckloads more of AAA third party games available on PS4 and XBoxOne and Nintendo is simply targeting these demanding games to help carry the Switch next year onward. So whatever Nvidia and Nintendo are planning, it's probably a Switch Pro or Switch 1.5 and not a Switch 2.