By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

Soundwave said:
DLSS 2.0 can reconstruct 1440p even from only 576p quite well

https://imgsli.com/MTUwMDg/1/2

Compare the 576p DLSS mode to 1440p quality

You can see here 576p DLSS 2.0 compared to native 1440p and it does look a touch softer but not a big difference. According to the guy who posted these images in motion while playing the game he couldn't even tell see a difference.

Who knows DLSS 3.0 likely will be even better than this.

DLSS is some magic voodoo indeed. A game running at 576p upscaled to look almost as good as 1440p! Achieveing double the framerate due to it. The only noticeable quality dip to me is the texture on her leather jacket, a bit blurrier in the 576p DLSS image, but other then that. Wow.

Twice the performance for a fairly mild dip in image quality. If it supported DLSS even the Switch we have now could be running games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 4k60fps. Crazy thought.

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:

It's not in Nintendo's interest to release Switch 2 any time soon anyway, so there's no need to rush.

It all depends on how seemless the delivery is. Due to DLSS, they could technically release the games on both consoles without a problem.

So, it is completely in their interest to upgrade this way, since everything is pointing to this. We went over it in depth in my past thread.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242353/switch-a-multi-wave-console-lifecycle-prediction/2/#83

Also, the spiritual successor to Suikoden shows why this move is much more important than you might think.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9190453

Everything does not point to a multi-wave lifecycle. If that's what they were going for, the overlapping smartphone model, the next "wave" would be announced if not out by now, or we'd at least have rumblings of a mid-gen revision type system just around the corner. Instead, this listing for "next generation graphics technology" at nvidia points to a normal generational successor in a few years.

Generations are good as they are, there's no need to change the formula that's worked for decades and continues to work well.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 July 2020

padib said:
curl-6 said:

Everything does not point to a multi-wave lifecycle. If that's what they were going for, the overlapping smartphone model, the next "wave" would be announced if not out by now, or we'd at least have rumblings of a mid-gen revision type system just around the corner. Instead, this listing for "next generation graphics technology" at nvidia points to a normal generational successor in a few years.

Generations are good as they are, there's no need to change the formula that's worked for decades and continues to work well.

Not like Nintendo to change the formula, hey bud?

When it's not in their interests, no, not generally. They've stuck to many working formulae since the 80s, and this is one that still works perfectly and doesn't need to change.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2020

shikamaru317 said:
GamingRabbit said:

Would already be too low in my opinion to be honest.

What I not only expect but demand from a switch two is to deliver the same performance or more than the rumored XBox Lockhart when docked,

and around halve undocked.

HOW it is done doesnt matter much to me, as long AS it is done.

This could also mean, that the hardware inside the switch two alone is not capable of doing so, but combined with suplementary hardware inside the dock

it would work. (Which would make the Switch 2 an actuall hybrid btw, unlike Switch 1)

With Lockhart, Nintendo has the unique chance of getting full 3rd party support (not just indies and medium japanese games)

despite having compearativly much weaker hardware. And Nintendo would be stupid to pass up on this upportunity.

I'd think it would take them another 1-1.5 years to get to be able to get that same 4 tflop as Lockhart for $300-350 in a handheld form factor (so 2024 or early 2025),  (...)

Not necessarily. It's just a question of how you build the product.

In my opinion, the easiest way to get to that level is by having the portable only use hardware which can "produce" 40~50% of Lockhart's performance.

Aka only the hardware that is meant to be used on the go.

However, the dock itself contains a supplementary CPU/GPU/other which combined with the chip present inside the portable unit amounts to Lockhart specs.

Remember, not everything HAS to be carried around in the portable unit.

Just leave in the dock what you dont need in portable mode.

Think of it as a workplace setup. You have your notebook that you can carry around with you, when you work at your desk, you connect a mouse, keybord and

screen to it. In this case however, the mouse, keyboard and screen would be a second gpu/cpu/other.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

padib said:
curl-6 said:

When it's not in their interests, no, not generally. They've stuck to many working formulae since the 80s, and this is one that still works perfectly and doesn't need to change.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. All their past presentations, all their current R&D developments, everything points to a soft successor, in the style of Apple.

What you hope happens isn't Nintendo's direction. 

Nothing they've said or done indicates smartphone style multiple iterative waves. If that was the plan, we would almost certainly know it by now. The fact that we're in Year 4 and the only sign of a replacement is a job listing for a "next generation" device points to them sticking to normal generational paradigm.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2020

Around the Network

I guess the many rumors about a Switch Pro really indicates that Nintendo had something like that in development. However, seeing how good the original Switch and Switch Light stand on their own and that they don't have to fear much from PS5/Xbox Series X (because other market), they decided to ditch it an working instead further on a next generation Switch, i.e. Switch 2 (I still think they will not name it "2" and just add the sales numbers to the current Switch models).

padib said:
curl-6 said:

Nothing they've said or done indicates smartphone style multiple iterative waves. If that was the plan, we would almost certainly know it by now. The fact that we're in Year 4 and the only sign of a replacement is a job listing for a "next generation" device points to them sticking to normal generational paradigm.

It's not true. There is an old direction from Iwata's time that clearly mention Nintendo wanting to follow Apple in their delivery style of hardware and software. I don't want to dig up the old quote because I'm sure I won't find it, but it's in 2014 or 2015.

The directors have changed since then, but it doesn't change an initiative already started by Iwata before he left, much like how pokemon GO, Mario Kart Tour and Super Mario Run were birthed from directions from around the same time.

Iwata talked about a family of devices. That doesn't necessarily mean ongoing waves of iterative soft successors like smartphones though, but more in line with what we already saw with 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New 3DS. We already have the Switch Lite in keeping with this.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

Iwata talked about a family of devices. That doesn't necessarily mean ongoing waves of iterative soft successors like smartphones though, but more in line with what we already saw with 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New 3DS. We already have the Switch Lite in keeping with this.

Not true. There were already families of devices from a long time ago GBA SP, game boy color, DS lite, etc.

No he was talking about something else, more like the New 3DS in your example, which is not just a change in form factor, but a change in hardware capabilities. The Apple line was cited because it offers jumps in hardware without causing incompatibilities with the current model. That's the main difference.

New 3DS wasn't a soft successor though, it was a hardware revision, similar to DSi. That's most likely what we will see with Switch; multiple revisions forming a single family but with a definitive next-gen successor in a few years time rather than iterative smartphone-type soft successors every couple of years.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

New 3DS wasn't a soft successor though, it was a hardware revision, similar to DSi. That's most likely what we will see with Switch; multiple revisions forming a single family but with a definitive next-gen successor in a few years time rather than iterative smartphone-type soft successors every couple of years.

DSi and New 3DS are even too old to be the fruit of that direction. What future outcome we're looking at here is neither, it's closer to a moment now like the switch is the result of the direction of merging the handheld and home R&D plants, and the fruit of it was the Switch. It takes time for these directions to come to fruition. So a revision of the Switch with a big enough jump to bring new capabilities, but while the ecosystem is made to allow old games to still function would look more like the iPhone style of delivery.

The whole point of the Switch was to unify Nintendo's development onto a single platform; supporting multiple generations at once runs directly counter to the Switch's direction.

People still assuming this is anyway related to Switch. Nintendo could jump to Samsung/RDNA for all we know. Nvidia may well be taking all from softbank to combat this.