By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell favors Xbox

Tagged games:

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yet every time someone says good thing about PS5 or its SSD we are flooded with "every dev was paid by Sony" right?

People always troll during console wars. The only praise PS5 has got that seems like it might have been bought was the Epic Games/Tim Sweeney praise, considering we later discovered that Sony bought a portion of Epic Games. 

Well even before we discover that, considering they made the demo for PS5 so it would be strange if they didn't praise Sony for the system as well.

Would be good if Gabe gave his reason, even if it simple "the specs are higher, GP, play anywhere, etc" even though that is probably what he thinks even without saying.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Conina said:
hinch said:

I doubt he was talking about hardware, moreover the concept. This was at a time people thought dual screen play was a good idea for consoles. A lot of video game guys thought this was the way forward but yet hardly third party supported the console largely due to the disparity in specs. The dual screen aspect also was good in theory and at the time but in practice it wasn't necessary. DS was the tech in its era, but then everyone got over it.

No, he was talking about the hardware and the porting capability: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-says-wii-u-fits-better-with-its-tech/1100-6320886/

But that comparison was Wii U vs. Wii, not Wii U vs. 360 or PS3.

"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation," Valve Corporation president and cofounder Gabe Newell told Joystiq. "It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model... Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

Ah yeah he was saying that in 2011 :P  Wii U launched on the tail end of 2012 and then other consoles released in 2013.

And he was talking about the specs from Wii U from Wii. Which, to be fair is a big jump from the latter.

Conina said:
Vinther1991 said:
If he doesn't bother to argue for his opinion, I couldn't care less what he thinks.

Vice versa.

I didn't express my opinion on either console...

Just more damage control after two mediocre xbox game events!  Says it’s better but can’t answer why?  

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well even before we discover that, considering they made the demo for PS5 so it would be strange if they didn't praise Sony for the system as well.

Would be good if Gabe gave his reason, even if it simple "the specs are higher, GP, play anywhere, etc" even though that is probably what he thinks even without saying.

The issue with Tim/Epic wasn't so much that they praised PS5, just praising PS5 is fine, the problem was that they did like 5 or 6 different interviews praising it, each basically saying the exact same things about PS5, and the only time they mentioned Xbox Series X was to say "oh yeah, it could also run that demo" after they got called out by 3rd party tech websites and such for implying that only PS5 could handle that Unreal 5 tech demo. As a 3rd party publisher, it always seemed like they were lacking objectivity in this console war (especially considering the fact that far more MS studios use Unreal engine than Sony studios), and then when the news broke that Sony had acquired a portion of Epic Games, it became pretty clear why they didn't seem objective. 

Of course, Gabe Newell isn't really all that objective either. He used to work for Microsoft (though I don't think they parted on the best of terms), Xbox releases alot of their games on Steam now and offers crossplay with Steam on some games I think. Of course, there was a brief partnership in gen 7 between Valve and Sony with some kind of plans to release steam on PS3, but I believe that deal fell through with Steam never actually releasing on PS3. And Gabe Newell also criticized Windows 10 Store quite alot when Microsoft first released it as a competitor to Steam, so I guess he could be objective in this case when he says he prefers Xbox Series. 

I also found it odd that they had almost day in and day out someone from Epic praising the SSD, I even commented that it was just copy and paste from the last speech someone from Epic had talked.

On the "it run on XSX", well that was pretty obvious since it is listed on UE5 support (even smartphones are). What the other sites are missing is that the demo the way it was show really could only run at PS5 at that moment, to run on XSX it would need some scaling back on streaming due to the over 2x SSD spec difference (and sure could be scaled up for GPU/CPU demand), same for those "that same demo is running on a PC weaker than PS5 and with slow SSD" but that notebook was just showing a recorded video.

I don't think this answer from Gabe is because he isn't objective, from technical perspective everything so far leads to conclusion Xbox is stronger with the caveats of SSD impact and the sound chip that we will need quite some time to see the effects. I'm just a little sad MS didn't took the chance to really show that power in any of the two shows so far.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I don't have a preference between the XSX and the PS5 except I probably will favor the PS5's controller, and I definitely like the look of the XSX more. I also understand that the XSX will have at least some backwards compatibility (what the Xbox One currently has...initially anyway) all the way back to the original Xbox, so I definitely prefer that to only one system's worth of BC. I don't even really have an opinion on Gabe. I really like the Half-Life games (excepting Alyx, because I haven't played it) and appreciate a lot of what Steam has to offer (not its current UI, though). So, I really have no opinion or reaction to Gabe's opinion.

All of that said, I can understand why some people are or at least someone would be annoyed by Gabe's statement because I am a little annoyed by Gabe's statement. Again, it doesn't bother me that he prefers one console over another, nor do I care which console that is. It's not him saying that the XSX is better. It's him saying, "Because it is." When I used to teach, one of the hardest things to do was to get students to differentiate between opinions and facts and to be sure they provided supporting evidence or at least argumentation for the latter. "Because it is" is not stating an opinion. It's stating a fact. And, maybe it's true in particular contexts (e.g. raw computational power). Or maybe, unbeknownst to all of us, it's true in every single context. Regardless of which is the case, statements such as these need to be supported with facts/evidence/argumentation/etc.

If I say, "Linux is better" (and you consider me some sort of relative and relevant authority figure), you'll likely ask "why?". If I respond, "because it is", not only is that dismissive (which I think was his intent, if I had to guess), but it's also not terribly helpful. There's a certain amount of condescension in that type of response. If Gabe's answers were born out of a desire of not wanting to be asked the initial question (which dismissiveness and condescension can suggest), he could have said, "I'd rather not answer", "I'm not sure yet", or not gone on a talk show where such a question was a near certainty. Likewise, if Gabe's answers were born out of a desire of not wanting to be asked the follow-up question, he could have answered with supporting facts (e.g. processing power/Game Pass/BC/etc.), supporting opinions (e.g. look/controller/games), "I just like it more", or even "I'd rather not get into that". However, if Gabe's answers were born out of a desire troll people, frustrating academics, rhetoricians, and particular segments of gamers, then I think he answered about as pithily as he could have.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

Since he doesn’t actually make games anymore, he’s basically another spectator.

SanAndreasX said:
Since he doesn’t actually make games anymore, he’s basically another spectator.

alyx isn't a game?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Vinther1991 said:
Conina said:

Vice versa.

I didn't express my opinion on either console...

I meant that Gabe couldn't care less what you think.

A 12 teraflop system is better than a 10 teraflop system ... wow I'm shocked.