By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetrical or asymmetrical analogue sticks?

I prefer...

Symmetrical 46 45.54%

Asymmetrical 55 54.46%

Total:101
Manlytears said:
GrahfsLament said:
--

On a note, i think this game is one of the first games that made me use claw grip whit great results, truly a classic.

Haha. That .gif definitely made me chuckle.

I truly love my PSP, but I don't think it loves me (or my wrists) back quite as much. It was, perhaps, not Sony's most ergonomically accommodating layout...I would be telling a complete and utter lie if I said that I did not immediately jump at the opportunity to play through Resistance: Retribution using a DualShock 3.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Manlytears said:

Symmetrical (Dual Shock Style),  and I sincerely believe that the asymmetric model is inferior since it prevents a better access to all buttons. As a big fan of using "claw grip" mixed with "common grip" I find that accessing the D-pad with the index finger ( see the figure) is very convenient, and for that reason I really feel that asymmetric controls don't work for me. Games like Dark souls, Devil may cry, Nioh, Monster Hunter, etc. claw grip really does make a difference for me, so I consider symmetrical analog controls (in Dual shock configuration) to be unreservedly superior.

That looks incredibly uncomfortable to do for extended periods.

Personally I just move my right thumb between the stick and the buttons, it's never been a problem, as games are designed with this in mind.

Honestly it never caused me pain or discomfort. As I said, I use a mix of "standard" grip and "claw" grip and i never had any problems. Making the switch between "claw" and "standard" is something extremely simple and natural (it's just a simple movement of your index finger that goes from L1 to D-pad), I play for hours without any kind of problem.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Manlytears said:
curl-6 said:

That looks incredibly uncomfortable to do for extended periods.

Personally I just move my right thumb between the stick and the buttons, it's never been a problem, as games are designed with this in mind.

Honestly it never caused me pain or discomfort. As I said, I use a mix of "standard" grip and "claw" grip and i never had any problems. Making the switch between "claw" and "standard" is something extremely simple and natural (it's just a simple movement of your index finger that goes from L1 to D-pad), I play for hours without any kind of problem.

I couldn't do it; just tried it with my PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers and it got uncomfortable for me in under a minute.

Plus I can't think of a single game where I'd need to anyway.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Manlytears said:

I couldn't do it; just tried it with my PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers and it got uncomfortable for me in under a minute.

okay, something that works for me may not work for you, there’s no single answer here, it’s a matter of preference. Also, did you try with a Xbox360 controller!?? Like "Xclaw"? "Xclaw" is extremely different and, Imho, truly strange since you use the index on the analog and the transition between "Standard" and "xclaw" is quite awkward and inaccurate.

Just look, it just feels wrong to me using index on Analog stick:

About games that can make good use of claw grip. I mentioned some, and i even posted a video showing the use of claw grip in Devil May Cry, should I assume that you are not a familiar whit any of the games i mentioned? Dark souls, boodborne, Horizon zero dawn, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Nioh, prety much any game that uses D-pad to select itens/weapons/skills...

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

I own and play all major platforms, all with their standard controllers. I have no real preference on analog stick layout for most applications. However, I do much prefer offset sticks for shooters. Consequently, I play most shooters on XB. That could be causing a self fulfilling situation though, where I'm used to offset sticks because I use them a lot, so I keep using them because that's what I'm used to.

On a somewhat related note, I have very little trouble going back and forth between controllers, in terms of analog stick use. My problem is confusing the button locations. I wish that they all had different naming schemes for their buttons, so that I would have one less confusion causing factor to worry about.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Zkuq said:
Symmetrical, just like my hands.

Same answer as SvennoJ that gets the ergonomics backwards.  Your symmetrical hands want the Analog stick in the default position and don't care about the aesthetics or glibness.  What you are saying is that you'd prefer to stretch your finger constantly for an analog stick based on a completely unimportant aesthetic factor.

Uh, no. Otherwise I would want both sticks to be in your so-called 'default' position, which I certainly don't want.

More importantly though, I would have to change my grip on the whole controller for this so-called 'default' position to feel natural. I just checked, and with my grip, my thumbs are roughly at rest somewhere between the 'default' position and the 'DualShock' position, but definitely closer to the DS position. It's a little bit of a stretch to get my thumb to the DS4 analog stick, but it's way better than moving my thumb too close to my index finger where I have less control over my thumb. Your mileage may vary, but for my grip, symmetrical is way better.

Manlytears said:
curl-6 said:

okay, something that works for me may not work for you, there’s no single answer here, it’s a matter of preference. Also, did you try with a Xbox360 controller!?? Like "Xclaw"? "Xclaw" is extremely different and, Imho, truly strange since you use the index on the analog and the transition between "Standard" and "xclaw" is quite awkward and inaccurate.

Just look, it just feels wrong to me using index on Analog stick:

About games that can make good use of claw grip. I mentioned some, and i even posted a video showing the use of claw grip in Devil May Cry, should I assume that you are not a familiar whit any of the games i mentioned? Dark souls, boodborne, Horizon zero dawn, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Nioh, prety much any game that uses D-pad to select itens/weapons/skills...

In games like those I simply never found it a problem to just quickly switch my thumb to the D-Pad and back or between the right stick and face buttons.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

GrahfsLament said:
Manlytears said:

On a note, i think this game is one of the first games that made me use claw grip whit great results, truly a classic.

Haha. That .gif definitely made me chuckle.

I truly love my PSP, but I don't think it loves me (or my wrists) back quite as much. It was, perhaps, not Sony's most ergonomically accommodating layout...I would be telling a complete and utter lie if I said that I did not immediately jump at the opportunity to play through Resistance: Retribution using a DualShock 3.

Vita is kinda ok, but PSP... i hated the ergonomics on PSP. Never used Dualshock whit my handhelds.

curl-6 said:

In games like those I simply never found it a problem to just quickly switch my thumb to the D-Pad and back or between the right stick and face buttons.

good for you.

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

With the Switch and WiiU gamepad, my left thumb start aching after a while because the left stick is in an unnatural position. With my hands in a 'natural' position, my thumbs fall 2/3 rds on the analog sticks of a DS4, slightly off the the side of the d-pad / face buttons. It is 'unnatural' for me to use the d-pad on a DS4. When using the D-pad in streets of rage for example, I can't use L1 since my index finger is now too low. Trying to use the D-pad and shoulder buttons is uncomfortable.

Either you have deformed hands, or you're so used to holding the controller in a way that wasn't intended because you've become so compensating for stretching for the analog stick that you don't even realize you're holding it awkwardly anymore.

The original Playstation controller (which the DS4 is based on) didn't even have an analog stick.  And they most certainly didn't design the controller so that your thumb would rest well below the D-Pad.

Zkuq said:
Symmetrical, just like my hands.

Same answer as SvennoJ that gets the ergonomics backwards.  Your symmetrical hands want the Analog stick in the default position and don't care about the aesthetics or glibness.  What you are saying is that you'd prefer to stretch your finger constantly for an analog stick based on a completely unimportant aesthetic factor.

Haha sure. But now you mention it, I never found the original PS controller very nice to use.

Dunno what's going on with your hands, but my thumbs are naturally away from my index fingers. As I said they sit much closer to the analog sticks than where the D-pad is. I'm not even stretching, heck the analog stick actually sits more to the bottom of my nail.

But good to know my hands are 'wrong' and kind of Sony to make a controller to fit my 'wrong' hands :)

Asymmetric. Symmetric on playstation puts your left thumb into a slightly uncomfortable position the whole time you are playing pretty much, if it's a game where you need to move alot. Having the left stick higher up puts your thumb into a more natural position.