By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetrical or asymmetrical analogue sticks?

I prefer...

Symmetrical 46 45.54%

Asymmetrical 55 54.46%

Total:101
curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yep, the sticks were at the top though on both sides.

I've never really liked Nintendo controllers nor their insistence to keep control of the camera away from you. However their games are just too good to let minor details get in the way :)

The sticks were on the bottom on Wii.

Ahh, forgot about the pro controller, never used it. I kinda liked the nunchucks, no need to keep your hands together. Same with the switch controllers except they are a bit too small for my liking. Yet very comfortable to have your arms free. Split controller design is my favorite.

Interesting, so basically Nintendo pretty much has/had every possible controller configuration.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

The sticks were on the bottom on Wii.

Ahh, forgot about the pro controller, never used it. I kinda liked the nunchucks, no need to keep your hands together. Same with the switch controllers except they are a bit too small for my liking. Yet very comfortable to have your arms free. Split controller design is my favorite.

Interesting, so basically Nintendo pretty much has/had every possible controller configuration.

Yeah I love the split controller design too, I really wish Xbox and Playstation offered it. It's so comfortable.

And basically yes, Gamecube and Switch are asymmetrical, Wii had symmetrical sticks at the bottom, Wii U symmetrical stick at the top.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020

Symmetrical.
Unless they are both horribly placed, in that case I'd prefer asymmetrical, to have at least one in a less horrible position.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah I love the split controller design too, I really wish Xbox and Playstation offered it. It's so comfortable.

And basically yes, Gamecube and Switch are asymmetrical, Wii had symmetrical sticks at the bottom, Wii U symmetrical stick at the top.

You're in luck!

https://world.splitfish.com/

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
GrahfsLament said:
curl-6 said:

You're in luck!

Cool! Is there one for the right hand as well? A mouse is the worst when sitting on a couch lol.
The one on the left looks perfect, just need a mirrored one with face buttons.

Around the Network

Most games usually have you most often use buttons and one stick at the same time. That is most comfortable on an assymetrical controller. But games differ a lot, and there a much with different input schemes that make symmetrical superior. And in the end the difference is negligable if you design your controller with at least a bit of ergonomics.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

GrahfsLament said:
curl-6 said:

You're in luck!

Not really a big fan of the mouse as a gaming input to be honest; if there was a version that was essentially an Xbox controller but split in half, that'd be heaven to me.

My hands are symmetrical, so symmetrical.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Symmetrical, since it's the one I've gotten used to. I've used an asymmetrical control a couple of times on those X1 gaming booths on Best Buy, and I didn't hate it. It was fairly intuitive, but I preferred the aligned joystics at the end.

I've played plenty of both as the owner of a PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox/360/Wii U/Switch, and honestly I prefer the Xbox/Switch setup the best, with my left thumb fully extended and my right resting on the face buttons and switching down to the stick when needed.

I find my my thumbs are more comfortable when extended than reaching down to bottom sticks, and I find I spend more time pressing the face buttons than using the right stick in most games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2020