Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetrical or asymmetrical analogue sticks?

I prefer...

Symmetrical 46 45.54%

Asymmetrical 55 54.46%

Total:101

Fighting games.. symmetrical design as my thumbs naturally line up with D-Pad and face buttons. Asymmetrical thumbs are a no go here.

Racers I prefer say asymmetrical layout. As I find this most natural when using triggers mostly and left thumb.

Any other genre I can play either but generally prefer symmetry as I'm generally more accurate and more comfortable with that.

Around the Network

The position of the sticks in Sony's controllers is a great factor of why I don't like to play those consoles. My hands never get used to the scheme.

Hands are Symmetrical, I prefer a controller designed for a standard set of Symmetrical Human Hands.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

In my personal opinion I prefer asymmetry. I think it's better for the majority of the games made today that require 3D movement. That being said, I think that the Wii U Pro controller is actually the best controller for first person shooters, and it has symmetrical analog sticks. The reason being is that first person shooters use the right thumbstick just as much as the left thumbstick, and the top is the most comfortable position for me for any analog thumbstick movement. I believe Valve understood this when they made the steam controller trackpads placed where they are.

That being said, there are benefits to analog sticks being down and the dpad being towards the top of a controller. 2D platformers are awkward when the dpad is toward the bottom.

Asymmetrical. On a Xbox controller, my thumb naturally lands on the thumb stick, which is what I use most of the time. On a Playstation controller, my thumb naturally lands on the D-pad. I am forced into an unnatural position to use the thumb stick.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network

Asymmetrical.

When I grab an Xbox controller (or others with asymmetrical sticks), my left thumb naturally falls on the left stick, which is where it will be on a near-constant basis. But when I grab a PlayStation controller, my left thumb naturally falls on the D-pad. That's not what I'm going to be using most of the time (except maybe navigating in-game menus). As a result, my thumb is always having to crane down to the left stick, which causes my hands to cramp up. This is the main reason why I've always preferred Xbox controllers. They quite simply the most comfortable standard gamepad around. I know there's third-party PS gamepads with asymmetrical sticks, but most of those apparently have issues, and I wish Sony would offer official controllers with it as an option

Interestingly, the Wii U controllers has symmetrical sticks, but the opposite problem of PS controllers. My left thumb falls where it should, but my right thumb falls on right stick instead of the face buttons. Now, your right thumb is going to be moving back and forth between the buttons and right stick a lot, and it felt like I was in backwards land having to move my right thumb down instead of up to press the face buttons.

Asymmetrical makes the analog stick left of thumb and buttons right of thumb.

Symmetrical makes theSe positions mirror Each side. I’m just rambling.

It depends on the kind of game, really. 2D and shooters symmetrical, else assymetrical.

Shadow1980 said:
Asymmetrical.

When I grab an Xbox controller (or others with asymmetrical sticks), my left thumb naturally falls on the left stick, which is where it will be on a near-constant basis. But when I grab a PlayStation controller, my left thumb naturally falls on the D-pad. That's not what I'm going to be using most of the time (except maybe navigating in-game menus). As a result, my thumb is always having to crane down to the left stick, which causes my hands to cramp up. This is the main reason why I've always preferred Xbox controllers. They quite simply the most comfortable standard gamepad around. I know there's third-party PS gamepads with asymmetrical sticks, but most of those apparently have issues, and I wish Sony would offer official controllers with it as an option

Interestingly, the Wii U controllers has symmetrical sticks, but the opposite problem of PS controllers. My left thumb falls where it should, but my right thumb falls on right stick instead of the face buttons. Now, your right thumb is going to be moving back and forth between the buttons and right stick a lot, and it felt like I was in backwards land having to move my right thumb down instead of up to press the face buttons.

This sums up my feelings as well.

I can make anything work, but I prefer the Xbox layout (and what is hopefully the standard Nintendo layout moving forward).

Louie said:
Manlytears said:

Symmetrical (Dual Shock Style),  and I sincerely believe that the asymmetric model is inferior since it prevents a better access to all buttons. As a big fan of using "claw grip" mixed with "common grip" I find that accessing the D-pad with the index finger ( see the figure) is very convenient, and for that reason I really feel that asymmetric controls don't work for me. Games like Dark souls, Devil may cry, Nioh, Monster Hunter, etc. claw grip really does make a difference for me, so I consider symmetrical analog controls (in Dual shock configuration) to be unreservedly superior.

How do you even properly push the buttons in this position? With the side of your index finger? This looks very unnatural to me haha. 

Yes, whit the side of my index. Most of the time I hold the control in a "standard" manner and when I need to use the D-pad I slide my index onto the D-pad and press the desired button easily. Believe me, it works very well and in many situations this option is much better than removing the thumb from the analog stick (something that can leave your character immobile and defenseless, or make it difficult to execute a command). I use this technique for about 10 years, I never felt pain and i agree that it is not perfect, but man... it is much better than dropping the analog stick in the middle of the action to press the D-pad.

Truly, i can't see myself using Asymmetrical,
it contains a inferior level of access to the buttons, i mean it is certainly possible to play on a Asymmetrical control  but... I would undoubtedly feel uncomfortable and maybe I could not do some advanced moves.

This video shows a bit of what i'm talking:

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.