By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetrical or asymmetrical analogue sticks?

I prefer...

Symmetrical 46 45.54%

Asymmetrical 55 54.46%

Total:101

I would go with a hypothetical third option: no preference.
I'm fine with the symmetrical lower sticks on the DualShock controllers. The other controllers that have them asymmetrical work well too. Not too much of a fan of the Wii U's symmetrical sticks that are above all the face buttons, but they work fine.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Peh said:
If Sony would have a assymetrical controller (I don't know if they exist) I would go for a PS5.

Given they have long existed on previous generations of Playstation,
I would say it is a safe bet that assymetrical 3rd party controllers for PS5 will exist too.
(they are officially licenced from Sony to be fully compatible, and I expect same for PS5)
Nacon Asymmetric controller for PS4: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nacon-asymmetric-wireless-controller

I'm not sure if there is symmetrical controller for Xbox, but there is adapters to use PS4 controller with Xbox.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 20 July 2020

What kind of games do people who prefer asymmetrical play mostly? I hardly ever use the d-pad, for some short cuts that's it. face buttons are also secondary except for the jump button for platformars but that one is next to the analog stick anyway.

I find the Joy-cons the most uncomfortable to use. Too small, left stick in the wrong place, it's guaranteed cramping left thumb after a while. The WiiU pad also had my hands cramping after a while. (Not that bad to stop playing though, except for one. Playing Fast racing Neo hurt too much)

Truly doesn't matter for me. I have used (and own) all controllers types from Playstation, XBOX, Nintendo, and also a few 8bitdo controllers. None of the layouts feel uncomfortable. It just takes a few seconds for my muscle memory to take over and then I'm good to go. The Wii U Pro controller was a little odd though with the position of the right stick and the face buttons.

As someone who buys both PlayStation (Symmetrical) and Nintendo (Asymmetrical) hardware I can do either one. DualShock is versatile design, but I also loved the Gamecube controller, which was asymmetrical in more ways than just the analog sticks, and like my Switch Pro controller.

Around the Network

Fighting games.. symmetrical design as my thumbs naturally line up with D-Pad and face buttons. Asymmetrical thumbs are a no go here.

Racers I prefer say asymmetrical layout. As I find this most natural when using triggers mostly and left thumb.

Any other genre I can play either but generally prefer symmetry as I'm generally more accurate and more comfortable with that.

The position of the sticks in Sony's controllers is a great factor of why I don't like to play those consoles. My hands never get used to the scheme.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Hands are Symmetrical, I prefer a controller designed for a standard set of Symmetrical Human Hands.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

In my personal opinion I prefer asymmetry. I think it's better for the majority of the games made today that require 3D movement. That being said, I think that the Wii U Pro controller is actually the best controller for first person shooters, and it has symmetrical analog sticks. The reason being is that first person shooters use the right thumbstick just as much as the left thumbstick, and the top is the most comfortable position for me for any analog thumbstick movement. I believe Valve understood this when they made the steam controller trackpads placed where they are.

That being said, there are benefits to analog sticks being down and the dpad being towards the top of a controller. 2D platformers are awkward when the dpad is toward the bottom.

Asymmetrical. On a Xbox controller, my thumb naturally lands on the thumb stick, which is what I use most of the time. On a Playstation controller, my thumb naturally lands on the D-pad. I am forced into an unnatural position to use the thumb stick.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)