By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell favors Xbox

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
Epic Games Store is better than Steam.

because you cant install it on a cracked switch?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
Epic Games Store is better than Steam.

because you cant install it on a cracked switch?

Funny enough. Because you can install Android on a hacked switch, you can install steam link and play all your PC games on your switch.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

GrahfsLament said:

I don't have a preference between the XSX and the PS5 except I probably will favor the PS5's controller, and I definitely like the look of the XSX more. I also understand that the XSX will have at least some backwards compatibility (what the Xbox One currently has...initially anyway) all the way back to the original Xbox, so I definitely prefer that to only one system's worth of BC. I don't even really have an opinion on Gabe. I really like the Half-Life games (excepting Alyx, because I haven't played it) and appreciate a lot of what Steam has to offer (not its current UI, though). So, I really have no opinion or reaction to Gabe's opinion.

All of that said, I can understand why some people are or at least someone would be annoyed by Gabe's statement because I am a little annoyed by Gabe's statement. Again, it doesn't bother me that he prefers one console over another, nor do I care which console that is. It's not him saying that the XSX is better. It's him saying, "Because it is." When I used to teach, one of the hardest things to do was to get students to differentiate between opinions and facts and to be sure they provided supporting evidence or at least argumentation for the latter. "Because it is" is not stating an opinion. It's stating a fact. And, maybe it's true in particular contexts (e.g. raw computational power). Or maybe, unbeknownst to all of us, it's true in every single context. Regardless of which is the case, statements such as these need to be supported with facts/evidence/argumentation/etc.

If I say, "Linux is better" (and you consider me some sort of relative and relevant authority figure), you'll likely ask "why?". If I respond, "because it is", not only is that dismissive (which I think was his intent, if I had to guess), but it's also not terribly helpful. There's a certain amount of condescension in that type of response. If Gabe's answers were born out of a desire of not wanting to be asked the initial question (which dismissiveness and condescension can suggest), he could have said, "I'd rather not answer", "I'm not sure yet", or not gone on a talk show where such a question was a near certainty. Likewise, if Gabe's answers were born out of a desire of not wanting to be asked the follow-up question, he could have answered with supporting facts (e.g. processing power/Game Pass/BC/etc.), supporting opinions (e.g. look/controller/games), "I just like it more", or even "I'd rather not get into that". However, if Gabe's answers were born out of a desire troll people, frustrating academics, rhetoricians, and particular segments of gamers, then I think he answered about as pithily as he could have.

You do realize that Gabe was on Holidays right? He wasn't working at the time and was asked a simple question and he gave a simple answer, twice.

Azzanation said:
GrahfsLament said: 

You do realize that Gabe was on Holidays right? He wasn't working at the time and was asked a simple question and he gave a simple answer, twice.

Sure. And I also know that this particular story is not really all that profound. Regardless, I stand by my explanation of why his response (and anyone else's response of a similar format/nature) was/is/can be a little irksome.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
GrahfsLament said:
Azzanation said:

Sure. And I also know that this particular story is not really all that profound. Regardless, I stand by my explanation of why his response (and anyone else's response of a similar format/nature) was/is/can be a little irksome.

Nothing wrong with your answer, i am just saying, you need to see it in his own eyes, this wasn't a gaming event, he just made an appearance on a random show due to him being stuck in NZ for months, and if the question wasn't asked, he would have never of said anything. He used a smart answer to avoid anything coming back to bite him in the arse in case he said something out of line or false by mistake etc. So he just kept it simple. That's how i see it anyway. He also admitted he has no stake with either company. His a pure PC Elitist and most likely doesn't care what anyone thinks of him or his answer.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
A 12 teraflop system is better than a 10 teraflop system ... wow I'm shocked.

Because teraflops is always an indicator of a 'better' console.

Also me - brb throwing my Switch in the dumpster.

hinch said:
Soundwave said:

Indeed,there's a lot more needed than terraflops alone to make a good system.

Azzanation said:
GrahfsLament said:

Nothing wrong with your answer, i am just saying, you need to see it in his own eyes, this wasn't a gaming event, he just made an appearance on a random show due to him being stuck in NZ for months, and if the question wasn't asked, he would have never of said anything. He used a smart answer to avoid anything coming back to bite him in the arse in case he said something out of line or false by mistake etc. So he just kept it simple. That's how i see it anyway. He also admitted he has no stake with either company. His a pure PC Elitist and most likely doesn't care what anyone thinks of him or his answer.

He is a public figure, relevant to console gaming, during a new gen, short after reveal of the consoles with everyone asking about the new consoles... let's not pretend when he accepted the invitation to be "interviewed" he didn't expect it to be questioned, nor that if he didn't want to talk about it he couldn't cut it on the first question, or on the second, he chose the replies he wanted deliberately.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hinch said:
Soundwave said:

Also me - Switch is almost as strong as X1X because both run The Witcher 3. And with DLSS2.0 Switch 2 will be on same level of PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Conina said:
Vinther1991 said:

I didn't express my opinion on either console...

I meant that Gabe couldn't care less what you think.

Probably not. But my opinion also hasn't made it to the news and isn't being used by others in the console war. Yet