By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 29, 2020 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

Tagged games:

Crazy week all-around. 7 games over 20k is a rare sight.
GoT with a damn strong opening and Switch is just unstoppable when the stock is there.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Great opening for Ghost of Tsushima but it had way less impact on hardware than predicted a few months ago.

Sony must have switched production lines over to the PS5 even sooner than I thought. They are pacing out their last distribution of stock week by week instead of dumping a ton at once for a big game. Does anybody know if the PS4 is currently sold out in Japan?

Sony apparently wants to have 10M consoles ready at launch, so they certainly had to switch production early on for them to reach that goal.

Additionally, I suppose they are shipping most consoles to the west, thus not leaving much for their home market.

Unexpectedly strong opening for Ghost of Tsushima, a western developed title to boot. Sony's 1st party titles aren't exactly big sellers in Japan as they are in the rest of the world. Hopefully GoT starts reversing the trend.

Stick a fork in Japanese PS4 sales, they are done. I don't think shortages are the reason. Sony would allocate shipments to where demand is strongest, if Sony thought their was an opportunity to fulfill unmet demand in Japan they would direct consoles their. I am not bullish on PS5 sales their either. Sony has to develop a new hardware strategy in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Damn Ghost sold amazing!
Paper Mario sold decent but with digital sales it is probably on par with other games in the series, still less than I expected though given Switch's popularity and HW numbers - thought we'd see more like 200k opening week.

PS4 hardware sales are dead. Even if stock is low the fact that Sony didn't even bother shipping a few extra thousand systems for a big game shows they know PS4 hw is dead in Japan at this point.

Switch over 100k probably based purely on supplying extra stock as Paper Mario clearly wasn't that big of a release to drive sales. Top 5 Switch games sold 267k this week, that is some serious strength! AC got a big bump thanks to more systems available - it just does not want to go under 50k! RFA going strong as always! RFA's insane sales would be the software story of the year if it wasn't for AC clearly being the most insane selling video game in Japanese history. Seems like Nintendo has RFA stock under control now, even if it isn't quite meeting demand, as I don't remember seeing a low week in quite a while. RFA could get real close to 2 million by the end of this year, 3 million lifetime seems extremely likely, could 4 million even be possible?? Imagine if Switch's eventual Japan 4+ million sellers are AC, Smash, MK, Pokemon, Splatoon, maybe a second Pokemon, and Ring Fit Adventure out of nowhere!

Paper Mario might hold if people who bought it like it. Word of mouth works and i know some people were on a wait and see mode

Around the Network

Fantastic opening for Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario crossed 100k

Of course, incredible Switch sales, expected that they had stock ready for Paper Mario's release. Nice boost for Animal Crossing.

Edit: also, not shocked GOT did not help PS4 sales much.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 23 July 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SpokenTruth said:
Great opening for Ghost of Tsushima but it had way less impact on hardware than predicted a few months ago.

Sony must have switched production lines over to the PS5 even sooner than I thought. They are pacing out their last distribution of stock week by week instead of dumping a ton at once for a big game. Does anybody know if the PS4 is currently sold out in Japan?

Sony apparently wants to have 10M consoles ready at launch, so they certainly had to switch production early on for them to reach that goal.

Additionally, I suppose they are shipping most consoles to the west, thus not leaving much for their home market.

I thought it was 10m by the end of the year, not necessarily at launch? 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I thought it was 10m by the end of the year, not necessarily at launch? 

Doesn't make much of a difference, if they launch shortly before BF then 10M must be produced already if they want to have them all shipped by end of the year.

Unless Sony meant producing 10M this year and shipping them out as they come, so probably only 7-8 actually available during the launch year, the rest being in transit.

Ghosts of Tsushima sold incredibly well.  I guess Western games can sell just fine in Japan as long as they have a Japanese theme.

Nintendo actually sold more Switches this week than physical copies of Paper Mario.  I imagine that it happened something like this.  Nintendo saved up some extra stock for the Paper Mario launch, but then Animal Crossing and RFA fans rushed in and bought half of the hardware.  AC actually is up 28% this week and (not coincidentally) there were more Switches available.  That should give us a clue that there is still a bunch of pent up demand for Animal Crossing.

Hot damn! Over 100k for the Switch! The difference with the PS4 and Switch is hilarious despite the PS4 having a new major release. Complete domination!

Pocky Lover Boy!