Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Crysis run on Switch?

Mr Puggsly said:
Slownenberg said:

He is pointing out that you are factually wrong. The game is not a port of the 7th gen release.

I remain skeptical until we see the final releases.

One thing for certain though, the Switch version is absolutely based on the 7th gen ports.

If you're so certain about this, prove it.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Chrizum said:

You are wrong. Original Crysis runs on CryEngine 2, 360 and PS3 versions run on CryEngine 3, Crysis Remastered runs on CryEngine 5 (on Switch as well).

No, its still built with 7th gen version as the foundation.

They didn't take the PC build per se.

Uh, it would probably take way more effort to port an old version of the engine to Switch and then add some of the changes from the upcoming PC version than it would to take the upcoming PC version and downgrade it until it runs well enough. That's because for the latter, it's mostly done and it's just a matter of downgrading. Taking the 7th gen version would require doing some actual changes twice, which I reckon is more work than a relatively simple downgrade since the engine already runs on Switch.

EDIT: And just as I write that, I run into news confirming that is actually is a port of the 7th gen version. That seems like a fairly curious decision, especially since it's sold with the same name as the upcoming PC/PS4/Xbox release, but I guess it must have made sense.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 23 July 2020

Zkuq said:

Uh, it would probably take way more effort to port an old version of the engine to Switch and then add some of the changes from the upcoming PC version than it would to take the upcoming PC version and downgrade it until it runs well enough. That's because for the latter, it's mostly done and it's just a matter of downgrading. Taking the 7th gen version would require doing some actual changes twice, which I reckon is more work than a relatively simple downgrade since the engine already runs on Switch.

EDIT: And just as I write that, I run into news confirming that is actually is a port of the 7th gen version. That seems like a fairly curious decision, especially since it's sold with the same name as the upcoming PC/PS4/Xbox release, but I guess it must have made sense.

Read the article it confirmed nothing as it cited DF as their source but DF never said anything of such.

Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, apparently all console versions are based on the 360/PS3 version (CryEngine 3) and missing the Ascension mission. That sure is baffling. Remastered looks nothing like the 360/PS3 version. Seems like it was too much work to bring over the PC version to consoles? Meh.

Wyrdness said:
Zkuq said:

Read the article it confirmed nothing as it cited DF as their source but DF never said anything of such.

Hmm, that's true. What a curious way to report about it, and by curious I probably mean misleading.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Zkuq said:

Wow, apparently all console versions are based on the 360/PS3 version (CryEngine 3) and missing the Ascension mission. That sure is baffling. Remastered looks nothing like the 360/PS3 version. Seems like it was too much work to bring over the PC version to consoles? Meh.

The way things like lighting, reflections, shadows and water animations are calculated and rendered changed drastically since the original release of Crysis. It was still based on DirectX 9 while we're at DX12 now. Hence why the Switch version has global illumination from a single source (sun or moon depending on daytime), something that was too demanding to be implemented in the original due to how it was rendered back then. Similar thing with the shadows.

Oh, and the Switch reused the models and general frame of the Gen 7 console versions, which used less geometry than the PC version to save a bit of performance, but also resulted in not having volumetric lighting coded in and a missing flight mission.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrizum said:

The way things like lighting, reflections, shadows and water animations are calculated and rendered changed drastically since the original release of Crysis. It was still based on DirectX 9 while we're at DX12 now. Hence why the Switch version has global illumination from a single source (sun or moon depending on daytime), something that was too demanding to be implemented in the original due to how it was rendered back then. Similar thing with the shadows.

Oh, and the Switch reused the models and general frame of the Gen 7 console versions, which used less geometry than the PC version to save a bit of performance, but also resulted in not having volumetric lighting coded in and a missing flight mission.

That Eurogamer article states that PS4/Xbox version is based on 360/PS3 version as well and also missing the Ascension level. That would indicate only the PC version is going to be a true remaster. Disappointing to say the least. I was gonna buy the PS4 version but now I'm not too sure. Although I must admit, Switch version looks and performs better than I expected, so maybe PS4 version will still be good...

Looking at the comments it seems I was right and now I am concerned the 8th gen console versions are going to be disappointing.

Frankly, the 7th gen remaster is still a good product. But its not what I want.

Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JRPGfan said:
When put side by side with the PS3 version, it doesnt always look better.
Frame rates are decent, even if DF says it has near constant micro stutters.
540-720p reconstructed resolution is to be expected.

Overall it looks okay imo.
That old joke "But can it run Crysis?" Yes, yes it can.

No. It always looks better.

The fact it is using voxel-based global illumination is a catastrophic improvement... To put that into perspective that is the *exact* same technology that is powering Lumin in the Unreal Engine 5 demo on the Playstation 5.

Mr Puggsly said:

When Doom came to GBA, it was 8 years old.

Crysis is 13 years old now, the 7th gen port is about 7 years old.

All considered, it basically what I expected. Switch can play 7th gen games well when properly optimized.

Crysis would run well (when tweaked) on a high-clocked Core 2 processor, 4GB of Ram and a Geforce 8800GT at below 720P.

The Switch equals or beats such a system on every front.
The newer CryEngine though has better threading support and will utilize some of the Maxwell chips advanced hardware features to reduce CPU loads, Crysis might be a "7th gen game" but it was a demanding one at that due to it's no-compromise approach to rendering.

Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's all down to the engine... Porting from CryEngine 2 to CryEngine 5 will be harder than porting from CryEngine 3.

Chrizum said:

The consoles aren't powerful enough to run the original game on the original engine without some serious concessions, CryEngine 2 is that demanding on the CPU... And Jaguar does no favors to that end.
The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 on the other hand...

The likely reason why they opted for the 7th gen as a base was because allot of the hard work optimizing and downgrading and replacing rendering features for consoles was already done and dusted, it makes sense not to reinvent the wheel.
It's also missing Parrallax mapping which was a big graphical feature of the original game, the very least they could have done was parsed some meshes or leveraged the Polymorph engines to give depth to some surfaces.

Will wait this out and see how the other versions fall, the PC modded version from 2013 will still look better than the Switch version without a doubt,
 missing a level means it is not going to be the definitive version, should have included the entire shebang, the game is 13 years old now.

Crytek probably needs this to be a success, but they are giving us a few reasons not to hand over our cash...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

In their developer livestream a few days back, the devs confirmed that the Switch version was built from the same base as the PS4/Xbone/PC versions of Remastered, but that it "branched off" when they got to the point of adding software raytracing as that was too demanding for the Switch.

So the Switch almost certainly will have more in common with the Remastered 8th gen version than the last gen versions, much like games like Alien Isolaton and Metro Redux.

This makes sense as Switch is more in line with PS4/Xbone than PS3/360 in terms of GPU features and memory capacity.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.