By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Crysis run on Switch?

curl-6 said:

In their developer livestream a few days back, the devs confirmed that the Switch version was built from the same base as the PS4/Xbone/PC versions of Remastered, but that it "branched off" when they got to the point of adding software raytracing as that was too demanding for the Switch.

So the Switch almost certainly will have more in common with the Remastered 8th gen version than the last gen versions, much like games like Alien Isolaton and Metro Redux.

This makes sense as Switch is more in line with PS4/Xbone than PS3/360 in terms of GPU features and memory capacity.

The problem seems to be all versions might be based on the 7th gen port. DF flat out said the Switch version shares more in common with the PS360 version than the original PC release. So its possible every version is based on the PS360 release.

Now I am just hoping significant work was done to bring it up to snuff with the original PC release or better.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

In their developer livestream a few days back, the devs confirmed that the Switch version was built from the same base as the PS4/Xbone/PC versions of Remastered, but that it "branched off" when they got to the point of adding software raytracing as that was too demanding for the Switch.

So the Switch almost certainly will have more in common with the Remastered 8th gen version than the last gen versions, much like games like Alien Isolaton and Metro Redux.

This makes sense as Switch is more in line with PS4/Xbone than PS3/360 in terms of GPU features and memory capacity.

The problem seems to be all versions might be based on the 7th gen port. DF flat out said the Switch version shares more in common with the PS360 version than the original PC release. So its possible every version is based on the PS360 release.

Now I am just hoping significant work was done to bring it up to snuff with the original PC release or better.

Bringing the original with its Cryengine 2 roots to modern systems may simply not have been feasible.

Thankfully, even in the Switch version, the visuals are dramatically superior to the PS3/360 versions and clearly not limited by those systems.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Pemalite said:

Crysis would run well (when tweaked) on a high-clocked Core 2 processor, 4GB of Ram and a Geforce 8800GT at below 720P.

The Switch equals or beats such a system on every front.
The newer CryEngine though has better threading support and will utilize some of the Maxwell chips advanced hardware features to reduce CPU loads, Crysis might be a "7th gen game" but it was a demanding one at that due to it's no-compromise approach to rendering.

Chrizum said:

Wow, apparently all console versions are based on the 360/PS3 version (CryEngine 3) and missing the Ascension mission. That sure is baffling. Remastered looks nothing like the 360/PS3 version. Seems like it was too much work to bring over the PC version to consoles? Meh.

The consoles aren't powerful enough to run the original game on the original engine without some serious concessions, CryEngine 2 is that demanding on the CPU... And Jaguar does no favors to that end.
The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 on the other hand...

The likely reason why they opted for the 7th gen as a base was because allot of the hard work optimizing and downgrading and replacing rendering features for consoles was already done and dusted, it makes sense not to reinvent the wheel.
It's also missing Parrallax mapping which was a big graphical feature of the original game, the very least they could have done was parsed some meshes or leveraged the Polymorph engines to give depth to some surfaces.

Will wait this out and see how the other versions fall, the PC modded version from 2013 will still look better than the Switch version without a doubt,
 missing a level means it is not going to be the definitive version, should have included the entire shebang, the game is 13 years old now.

Crytek probably needs this to be a success, but they are giving us a few reasons not to hand over our cash...

My point was the PS360 release of Crysis was rebuilt to work well on limited specs. Like I said before, I had a feeling they may go back to the 7th gen work for this Switch port. Wasn't quite expecting that for all ports.

I imagine the 8th gen CPUs are capable of running Crysis at 30 fps. Based on benchmarks I've seen it doesn't take a great CPU to do that.

If the Crysis Remaster is missing significant content like a mission, then I suspect reviews could be brutal. I certainly hope a goal is making it as complete as possible.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

Crysis would run well (when tweaked) on a high-clocked Core 2 processor, 4GB of Ram and a Geforce 8800GT at below 720P.

The Switch equals or beats such a system on every front.
The newer CryEngine though has better threading support and will utilize some of the Maxwell chips advanced hardware features to reduce CPU loads, Crysis might be a "7th gen game" but it was a demanding one at that due to it's no-compromise approach to rendering.

The consoles aren't powerful enough to run the original game on the original engine without some serious concessions, CryEngine 2 is that demanding on the CPU... And Jaguar does no favors to that end.
The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 on the other hand...

The likely reason why they opted for the 7th gen as a base was because allot of the hard work optimizing and downgrading and replacing rendering features for consoles was already done and dusted, it makes sense not to reinvent the wheel.
It's also missing Parrallax mapping which was a big graphical feature of the original game, the very least they could have done was parsed some meshes or leveraged the Polymorph engines to give depth to some surfaces.

Will wait this out and see how the other versions fall, the PC modded version from 2013 will still look better than the Switch version without a doubt,
 missing a level means it is not going to be the definitive version, should have included the entire shebang, the game is 13 years old now.

Crytek probably needs this to be a success, but they are giving us a few reasons not to hand over our cash...

My point was the PS360 release of Crysis was rebuilt to work well on limited specs. Like I said before, I had a feeling they may go back to the 7th gen work for this Switch port. Wasn't quite expecting that for all ports.

I imagine the 8th gen CPUs are capable of running Crysis at 30 fps. Based on benchmarks I've seen it doesn't take a great CPU to do that.

If the Crysis Remaster is missing significant content like a mission, then I suspect reviews could be brutal. I certainly hope a goal is making it as complete as possible.

Crysis's issue in it's original release is that it does perform like a dogs breakfast on low clocked CPU cores, it's a game that only pushes on 1-2 CPU cores, meaning that 4x CPU cores of Jaguar would be idle and going unused.

And the issue with Jaguar is that clock for clock, it does perform worst than a semi-decent Conroe part from 2007 which tend to be the minimum performance level of what you want to run Crysis on.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Just checked out Crysis images and video on the Switch eshop. I gotta say the resolution at least in those pictures and video looked quite a bit better than how it looked watching the DF video on my computer. In the DF video the Switch version looked a tiny bit blurry to me but in the eshop media it looks very crisp. And it is only $30, I just assumed it would be $60 since third parties always price old games on Switch at full price, actually I think I'm gonna buy it right now!



Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Just checked out Crysis images and video on the Switch eshop. I gotta say the resolution at least in those pictures and video looked quite a bit better than how it looked watching the DF video on my computer. In the DF video the Switch version looked a tiny bit blurry to me but in the eshop media it looks very crisp. And it is only $30, I just assumed it would be $60 since third parties always price old games on Switch at full price, actually I think I'm gonna buy it right now!

Youtube compression will generally make games look blurrier than they actually do when you're playing them.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Played Crysis a little bit tonight in handheld mode. Plays and looks perfectly fine. Would never even know it was a downgraded version of the game just from playing it. Resolution is crisp, frame rate is fine so far, environmental detail is good, water looks great, the one underwater part right at the beginning had a lot more detail than I thought it would based off what the DF video showed. Only played a little bit so far but nothing about it suggests that anyone should be worried about performance. It plays and looks perfectly fine so if you are thinking about picking it up there is nothing about its performance that should stop you.