By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Crysis run on Switch?

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

When Doom came to GBA, it was 8 years old.

Crysis is 13 years old now, the 7th gen port is about 7 years old.

All considered, it basically what I expected. Switch can play 7th gen games well when properly optimized.

This doesn't really change anything he said as the 7th gen ports were terribly butchered, Crysis was developed for at the time top end PC specs at the start of the HD era while Doom was the best of the end of the 2D era as it came out the year before the Saturn and PS1 released essentially the jump to 3D which was already in progress at the time so the former being longer in being ported doesn't take much away from it.

No, the 7th gen ports are the foundation of the Switch version. Its even misssing the same mission. If they were butchered that wouldn't be the case.

I was actually more impressed with Doom on GBA because I simply didn't think it could do it so well.

Switch on the otherhand has already has already demonstrated it can handle 7th gen content (like Crysis). Doom on Switch demonstrated the Switch is very capable.

Hence, Doom been impressed us on both GBA and Switch.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Great port, decent price, not too bad a file size (7GB). I went ahead and ordered.

A bit miffed it's apparently still a 'pre-order'. Release date is 23/7, yet it's currently 1P.M. on the 23rd here. Not sure which timezone we're being held back by, but at least it's downloading and should be available to help kill time before the Xbox showcase.



Well pugs play your fps that only few people give a shit about on your own damn preferred console or pc



Saber delivers the goods once again, as expected.

Definitely a showpiece for the hardware given that the game can still tax even modern PCs. The new SVOGI-powered lighting and upgraded water look especially great, and it's a big step up from the PS3/360 versions.

As far as what version it's based on, the developers in their livestream yesterday confirmed it started from the same base as PS4/Xbox One versions, but branched off later in development.

Shaunodon said:

Great port, decent price, not too bad a file size (7GB). I went ahead and ordered.

A bit miffed it's apparently still a 'pre-order'. Release date is 23/7, yet it's currently 1P.M. on the 23rd here. Not sure which timezone we're being held back by, but at least it's downloading and should be available to help kill time before the Xbox showcase.

Yeah I'm having the same issue, it's the 23rd here as well but it won't let me play. We'll probably have to wait til tomorrow; one of the annoyances of living in Eastern Hemisphere. (From your timezone I guess you're in New Zealand?)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Saber delivers the goods once, as expected.

Definitely a showpiece for the hardware given that the game can still tax even modern PCs. The new SVOGI-powered lighting and water look especially great, and it's a big step up from the PS3/360 versions.

As far as what version it's based on, the developers in their livestream yesterday confirmed it started from the same base as PS4/Xbox One versions, but branched off later in development.

Shaunodon said:

Great port, decent price, not too bad a file size (7GB). I went ahead and ordered.

A bit miffed it's apparently still a 'pre-order'. Release date is 23/7, yet it's currently 1P.M. on the 23rd here. Not sure which timezone we're being held back by, but at least it's downloading and should be available to help kill time before the Xbox showcase.

Yeah I'm having the same issue, it's the 23rd here as well but it won't let me play. We'll probably have to wait til tomorrow; one of the annoyances of living in Eastern Hemisphere. (From your timezone I guess you're in New Zealand?)

Yeah.



Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

No, the 7th gen ports are the foundation of the Switch version. Its even misssing the same mission. If they were butchered that wouldn't be the case.

I was actually more impressed with Doom on GBA because I simply didn't think it could do it so well.

Switch on the otherhand has already has already demonstrated it can handle 7th gen content (like Crysis). Doom on Switch demonstrated the Switch is very capable.

Hence, Doom been impressed us on both GBA and Switch.

The developer themselves confirmed it's the same as the PS4/X1 version they all came from the same foundation and branched off the 7th gen being the foundation part is simply false hence why the NS version has more foliage, better lighting, more refined physics and water. An example of how much of a step up the NS version is in comparison is this screenshot.

As for Doom as mentioned it still doesn't change what he said because Doom was one of the best of the 2D era but came as a bigger jump was being made to 3D it was impressive for the GBA but it wasn't a game that still gave other hardware significant work to do to run Crysis on the other hand was the flagship for a big jump into the HD era and still gives modern hardware issues to run and now runs on a 15 watt Hybrid device.



It looks impressive, the only thing that is kinda unfortunate is that the game has an inconsistent frame rate. But it would be the same as DOOM, so it wouldn't be too much on an issue. The gunplay looks fun, and all that environmental interactivity is fantastic. Might pick it up someday.



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

So basically Switch version is for the most part upgraded over last gen versions, but have some cuts compared to original high end PC version. Sucks about missing level though.



Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, the 7th gen ports are the foundation of the Switch version. Its even misssing the same mission. If they were butchered that wouldn't be the case.

I was actually more impressed with Doom on GBA because I simply didn't think it could do it so well.

Switch on the otherhand has already has already demonstrated it can handle 7th gen content (like Crysis). Doom on Switch demonstrated the Switch is very capable.

Hence, Doom been impressed us on both GBA and Switch.

The developer themselves confirmed it's the same as the PS4/X1 version they all came from the same foundation and branched off the 7th gen being the foundation part is simply false hence why the NS version has more foliage, better lighting, more refined physics and water. An example of how much of a step up the NS version is in comparison is this screenshot.

As for Doom as mentioned it still doesn't change what he said because Doom was one of the best of the 2D era but came as a bigger jump was being made to 3D it was impressive for the GBA but it wasn't a game that still gave other hardware significant work to do to run Crysis on the other hand was the flagship for a big jump into the HD era and still gives modern hardware issues to run and now runs on a 15 watt Hybrid device.

Well I guess we will wait and see. The PC version came first, then scaled back version came to consoles years later. The Switch version is clearly a tweaked version of what 7th gen consoles had, its even missing the same mission. It simply wouldn't make sense to bring that to PC and 8th gen consoles.

Crysis works well on Switch because they're using the version made for 7th gen consoles for the most part. It was already designed for limited specs. Again, I suspected that was the case when they announced it was coming first.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

sethnintendo said:
Well pugs play your fps that only few people give a shit about on your own damn preferred console or pc

Strange comment. Touchy subject for this guy.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)