By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Crysis run on Switch?

Mr Puggsly said:
Wyrdness said:

The developer themselves confirmed it's the same as the PS4/X1 version they all came from the same foundation and branched off the 7th gen being the foundation part is simply false hence why the NS version has more foliage, better lighting, more refined physics and water. An example of how much of a step up the NS version is in comparison is this screenshot.

As for Doom as mentioned it still doesn't change what he said because Doom was one of the best of the 2D era but came as a bigger jump was being made to 3D it was impressive for the GBA but it wasn't a game that still gave other hardware significant work to do to run Crysis on the other hand was the flagship for a big jump into the HD era and still gives modern hardware issues to run and now runs on a 15 watt Hybrid device.

Well I guess we will wait and see. The PC version came first, then scaled back version came to consoles years later. The Switch version is clearly a tweaked version of what 7th gen consoles had, its even missing the same mission. It simply wouldn't make sense to bring that to PC and 8th gen consoles.

Crysis works well on Switch because they're using the version made for 7th gen consoles for the most part. It was already designed for limited specs. Again, I suspected that was the case when they announced it was coming first.

Did you actually watch the DF video? The guy makes multiple mentions about the new global illumination (SVOGI) that was used for the remaster, something not in the 7th gen or even original PC releases. The PS3 version however was covered in awful bloom. Also look the at the new technique they used for the water rendering, and the difference in foliage density between Switch and PS3. It's clearly not the same build.

Just because they've had to make cutbacks similar to the PS3 version shown, doesn't equate to it being a direct port from that. It's simply that they've had to make those same kind of cutbacks to get the remastered version running on Switch, in the same way the 7th gen version made those cutbacks from the original PC release.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well I guess we will wait and see. The PC version came first, then scaled back version came to consoles years later. The Switch version is clearly a tweaked version of what 7th gen consoles had, its even missing the same mission. It simply wouldn't make sense to bring that to PC and 8th gen consoles.

Crysis works well on Switch because they're using the version made for 7th gen consoles for the most part. It was already designed for limited specs. Again, I suspected that was the case when they announced it was coming first.

Did you actually watch the DF video? The guy makes multiple mentions about the new global illumination (SVOGI) that was used for the remaster, something not in the 7th gen or even original PC releases. The PS3 version however was covered in awful bloom. Also look the at the new technique they used for the water rendering, and the difference in foliage density between Switch and PS3. It's clearly not the same build.

Just because they've had to make cutbacks similar to the PS3 version shown, doesn't equate to it being a direct port from that. It's simply that they've had to make those same kind of cutbacks to get the remastered version running on Switch, in the same way the 7th gen version made those cutbacks from the original PC release.

Graphical improvments and some tweaks doesen't change the fact its mostly the same release 7th gen consoles had. Again, the 7th gen version was the foundation and changes were made. I saw the video, he essentially said this is a port of the 7th gen release.

I am not arguing its a direct or simple port. I am arguing they tweaked the existing console port for Switch. I believe he suggested its using the same visual assets for example. I suspect the 8th gen consoles and PC are getting a remaster of the actual PC release, not a remaster of the console version like Switch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Shaunodon said:

Graphical improvments and some tweaks doesen't change the fact its mostly the same release 7th gen consoles had. Again, the 7th gen version was the foundation and changes were made. I saw the video, he essentially said this is a port of the 7th gen release.

I am not arguing its a direct or simple port. I am arguing they tweaked the existing console port for Switch. I believe he suggested its using the same visual assets for example. I suspect the 8th gen consoles and PC are getting a remaster of the actual PC release, not a remaster of the console version like Switch.

You are wrong. Original Crysis runs on CryEngine 2, 360 and PS3 versions run on CryEngine 3, Crysis Remastered runs on CryEngine 5 (on Switch as well).

Does it really matter which version of the game it is? It's looks amazing. Much better than last gen versions and plays better.

JRPGfan said:
When put side by side with the PS3 version, it doesnt always look better.
Frame rates are decent, even if DF says it has near constant micro stutters.
540-720p reconstructed resolution is to be expected.

Overall it looks okay imo.
That old joke "But can it run Crysis?" Yes, yes it can.

It's not microstutters, it's microspikes. Instead of slowing down, it actually speeds up in those spikes.

Also, PS3 looks horrible with that blue tint, ugh! As if they were trying to make it look like nighttime all the time with a blue lens like in the movies of old.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Shaunodon said:

He is pointing out that you are factually wrong. The game is not a port of the 7th gen release. As the video stated, the Switch version started on the same dev path as the other new remastered versions, and then they split off from there once they needed to make performance-based changes to run it on Switch. This means it has nothing to do with the 7th gen version.

Now sure you can compare it to the PS3 version and say okay it is similar graphically with numerous changes (mostly improvements), but the 7th gen console version is in no way part of the Switch game's development path, so claiming that is just simply incorrect. It seems like you didn't watch the video.

Switch version is a downgraded version of the new remasters. Graphically it falls between the last gen versions and the original PC version. Which seems pretty dang good for a portable.

From the video I would say the obvious differences between original PC version and Switch version is lower rez, underwater environment details pretty much entirely lacking, lacking a bit of environment detail on land, lacking some high-end lighting and shadow effects but Switch version has enhanced lighting overall, and obviously the missing level. While the obvious graphical differences compared to the PS3 version are again Switch seems a little bit lower rez (though I'm guessing in portable the resolution is good looking), but with a bit better frame rate, better lighting, and a bit more environmental detail, and no washed out blue tint applied to the entire game - so basically better performance and graphics but a little lower resolution than PS3 which won't be noticed in handheld mode.

Chrizum said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You are wrong. Original Crysis runs on CryEngine 2, 360 and PS3 versions run on CryEngine 3, Crysis Remastered runs on CryEngine 5 (on Switch as well).

No, its still built with 7th gen version as the foundation.

They didn't take the PC build per se.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JSG87 said:
Does it really matter which version of the game it is? It's looks amazing. Much better than last gen versions and plays better.

Yes it matters, yes its impressive.

I will however be disappointed if this is what other versions are.

Recently Completed

Slownenberg said:
Mr Puggsly said:

He is pointing out that you are factually wrong. The game is not a port of the 7th gen release.

I remain skeptical until we see the final releases.

One thing for certain though, the Switch version is absolutely based on the 7th gen ports.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Wyrdness said:

This doesn't really change anything he said as the 7th gen ports were terribly butchered, Crysis was developed for at the time top end PC specs at the start of the HD era while Doom was the best of the end of the 2D era as it came out the year before the Saturn and PS1 released essentially the jump to 3D which was already in progress at the time so the former being longer in being ported doesn't take much away from it.

No, the 7th gen ports are the foundation of the Switch version. Its even misssing the same mission. If they were butchered that wouldn't be the case.

I was actually more impressed with Doom on GBA because I simply didn't think it could do it so well.

Switch on the otherhand has already has already demonstrated it can handle 7th gen content (like Crysis). Doom on Switch demonstrated the Switch is very capable.

Hence, Doom been impressed us on both GBA and Switch.

Hey, Doom ran on the SNES, and the GBA is somewhat more performant and had a smaller resolution to boot. Of course it could run there without hiccups. That wasn't something special. In fact, due to the better hardware, they choose to port the Jaguar version instead of the SNES version of the game.