By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Crysis run on Switch?

Crysis is finally playable in handheld format, and it's [mostly] good news.

Lighting is overall a big improvement over even the PC original in most cases thanks to advancements in lighting techniques over the years, though some indoor volumetrics are gone.  In almost every way the game is also a huge improvement over the PS360 versions, like in foliage density.

Adaptive 720P but it seems to keep that target pretty well with good post-processing

Framerate is decent most of the time, with odd frame spikes and a tendency to drop top around 20 FPS during really busy fights, though it never becomes unplayable.  The motion blur which is better than the og PC motion blur helps.  Runs the same in handheld mode with a couple of minor downgrades from docked mode.

All environmental destruction is intact, but the performance take a bad hit for a moment and trees update at a lower framerate.

Some geometry is missing, especially underwater.

The biggest downgrade is the removal of parallax occlusion maps.  Apparently they badly affected performance in handheld mode.  The developers want to patch them in for docked mode.  It's a matter of getting the setting to turn on and off properly when putting or removing the Switch from the dock.  So that feature could return.

The flying level is gone.

I thought I saw a lot of pop in in the video which DF didn't touch on.

And there's gyro aiming.

Overall DF is impressed and hope many of the problems can still be patched.  The team is continuing to work on the game.

Last edited by h2ohno - on 22 July 2020

Around the Network

Nice. Good news. I will ptick it up soon.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

When put side by side with the PS3 version, it doesnt always look better.
Frame rates are decent, even if DF says it has near constant micro stutters.
540-720p reconstructed resolution is to be expected.

Overall it looks okay imo.
That old joke "But can it run Crysis?" Yes, yes it can.

Resolution and a missing level altogether is a bummer bu somewhat expected. Interesting update on the way lighting is rendered, though.

If it gets a physical release Ill probably check it out...maybe after a price drop.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Frame rates are decent, even if DF says it has near constant micro stutters.
540-720p reconstructed resolution is to be expected.

Overall it looks okay imo.
That old joke "But can it run Crysis?" Yes, yes it can.

That is sad because PS3 is shit compared to switch.  The specs of switch are way better than shitty cell and lack of memory in PS3.  If this is case be more problem with porting than system because switch is of course better than ps3

JRPGfan said:

This is untrue. PS3 version looks horrible with distorted color palette, lack of foliage and runs at 2/3 of Switch's framerate.

This remaster is extremely impressive. To think I jizzed my pants from playing DOOM on a GBA for the first time, now we can play a good looking version of Crysis on a Nintendo handheld device. Absolutely amazing!

I had a feeling it was gonna be a 7th gen port. I just didn't say it because that would seem like a worst case scenario.

They did a good job though. Performance is better and the visuals overall do look better.

That explains why the Switch version came first. The other versions are likely based on the original PC release.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Chrizum said:
JRPGfan said:

This is untrue. PS3 version looks horrible with distorted color palette, lack of foliage and runs at 2/3 of Switch's framerate.

This remaster is extremely impressive. To think I jizzed my pants from playing DOOM on a GBA for the first time, now we can play a good looking version of Crysis on a Nintendo handheld device. Absolutely amazing!

When Doom came to GBA, it was 8 years old.

Crysis is 13 years old now, the 7th gen port is about 7 years old.

All considered, it basically what I expected. Switch can play 7th gen games well when properly optimized.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Chrizum said:

When Doom came to GBA, it was 8 years old.

Crysis is 13 years old now, the 7th gen port is about 7 years old.

All considered, it basically what I expected. Switch can play 7th gen games well when properly optimized.

This doesn't really change anything he said as the 7th gen ports were terribly butchered, Crysis was developed for at the time top end PC specs at the start of the HD era while Doom was the best of the end of the 2D era as it came out the year before the Saturn and PS1 released essentially the jump to 3D which was already in progress at the time so the former being longer in being ported doesn't take much away from it.