By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

100 billion!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Is the Xbox One cheaper than the PS4? I'm suprised their numbers have remained so close last month

Let's see:

[NSW] 500K
[PS4] 350K
[XBO] 200K

It's just in the USA ?

YanisFromFrance said:
It's just in the USA ?

Yes NPD reports cover only the USA.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

NPD for June has been released, all I've seen so far is official data, which is that hardware was DOWN 17% over all brands YoY. Sounds like shortages have finally taken hold. We'll see when/if we get leaks

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
NPD for June has been released, all I've seen so far is official data, which is that hardware was DOWN 17% over all brands YoY. Sounds like shortages have finally taken hold. We'll see when/if we get leaks

Yea, and though we don't know exactly how those 17 % less dollar sales translate to unit sales (the Switch Lite wasn't available a year ago for one thing), it does seem likely that everybody here overshot with their predictions. I wonder if all consoles took a hit though, all we know is that Switch remained at the top.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yea, and though we don't know exactly how those 17 % less dollar sales translate to unit sales (the Switch Lite wasn't available a year ago for one thing), it does seem likely that everybody here overshot with their predictions. I wonder if all consoles took a hit though, all we know is that Switch remained at the top.

Sales could still be up a little bit year-over-year. As you mentioned the Switch Lite wasn't out a year ago, plus there are almost always deals going on with the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

As well as the TLoU2 bump with the Bundle. NPD June 2019 had NSW = 329K, PS4 = 222K, XB1 = 161K.  So it will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments if any have to be made given that hardware spending is down 17%. 

My predictions were way off

Sounds like Sony is not manufacturing that many PS4s and Microsoft is flat at best.
Nintendo seemingly ran out of enough stock to see huge growth but Switch is basically selling what they can ship, so the shipped numbers for the quarter will be very close to sell-through to consumers. This will give us a good basis for what to expect in Q3 in terms of per month sales.
Software sales are fantastic for TLOU2 and for Animal Crossing and other evergreen games. Still can't believe GTA isn't on the Switch, the game would instantly be a million-seller.

Considering new consoles were announced it was a matter of time that stock would run out. The current situation in manufacturing & supply chains right now means that Sony can't manufacture enough PS4 and PS5 simentenously. Nintendo cant scale-up manufacturing as fast as they would probably want for hardware and Ring Fit Adventure. While with Microsoft they don't need to manufacture that many X1 to begin with so they are probably seeing some growth YoY across all markets but are ready to transition to the new gen hence X1X is no longer being produced.

We shall see when the official numbers come out but this is what I'm reading from the NPD PR.

Looks like the shortages finally caught up to them.
Nintendo might still be up seeing as how they’re in a better position to raise production and supply with the Switch in its prime.
Sony and Microsoft on the other hand, with the PS4/XBO on the way out and their successors just months away, it could be a case where they’re just not ordering more production for their current systems because they want to focus and prioritize the bulk of their production efforts towards the launch of PS5/XSX.