By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: The Last of Us Part II Sells More Than 4 Million Copies, Fastest Selling PS4 Exclusive

Tagged games:

Intrinsic said:

So you care about the characters, at least enough to see what happens. The gameplay is great, as far as it being a thru person stealth action game.

But you will not pay money fr it because it rubs you the wrong way in a way that has nothing to do with the gameplay or presentation bt duet the kinda themes or the authentic, grotesque and even glamorized depiction of violence it embodies?

Hehe, I hope you know the reasons you hate that game, are the reasons it would end up going down in history as one of the best games ever made and ultimately become a cult classic. It means ND succeeded. 

Now if they really want to push that cult classic angle, they should never make a Part 3. Just make remasters/remakes of part 1 and two and call it a day.

I do have a problem with the themes, but not at all with the violence and its realistic depiction.

If a game as story-focused as TLoU2 spends many, many hours trying to teach me a lesson that i got after the first 20 minutes, it just becomes preachy and a bore-fest. I'm not through yet, but up until now, it is by far not as smart or controversial as it thinks it is.

There are many other big story reasons I don't like the game (yet - still being a bit hopeful for them to turn it around). But I can't get into those due to spoilers. Just rest assured that ND did not at all succeed on me. In general yes, many seem to like it, but not on me.

DonFerrari said:

Are you one of those masochists on VGC? People that say they bought a console and hate all the games on it, or that burn 20h of their life on something they are hating but think 60USD is just to much money? Well watching 4 seasons of an Anime that you are not liking is even more strange.

Hehe, yeah, I guess you are right, it is a bit masochistic. But don't you ever have this urge to see something through that you once loved? I want to emphazise that I loved TLoU1 and Attack on Titan 1. So they had their hooks in me.

I have even more examples: I read Don Quijote 2, even though it bored me, just because I loved part 1. I wanted to see what happens to him. I watched some marvel movies that I had no interest in, just because they are part of something bigger that I do have interest in.

Let's not be too black or white here. I don't really hate TLoU2, have not even seen it through. But I surely don't like it enough to warrant a purchase.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

This trend has been going since 2009 IMO. so 11 years strong, don't see any sign of it stopping now.

2012, 2014 and 2019 were slow, but yeah, its almost always really strong.

Actually IMO it started in 2007 with:

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

MotorStorm

Warhawk

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

Heavenly Sward

God of War 2 (PS2)

2008 should be included in the slow/weak years with only Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet being the notable big releases.

JuliusHackebeil said:
Intrinsic said:

So you care about the characters, at least enough to see what happens. The gameplay is great, as far as it being a thru person stealth action game.

But you will not pay money fr it because it rubs you the wrong way in a way that has nothing to do with the gameplay or presentation bt duet the kinda themes or the authentic, grotesque and even glamorized depiction of violence it embodies?

Hehe, I hope you know the reasons you hate that game, are the reasons it would end up going down in history as one of the best games ever made and ultimately become a cult classic. It means ND succeeded. 

Now if they really want to push that cult classic angle, they should never make a Part 3. Just make remasters/remakes of part 1 and two and call it a day.

I do have a problem with the themes, but not at all with the violence and its realistic depiction.

If a game as story-focused as TLoU2 spends many, many hours trying to teach me a lesson that i got after the first 20 minutes, it just becomes preachy and a bore-fest. I'm not through yet, but up until now, it is by far not as smart or controversial as it thinks it is.

There are many other big story reasons I don't like the game (yet - still being a bit hopeful for them to turn it around). But I can't get into those due to spoilers. Just rest assured that ND did not at all succeed on me. In general yes, many seem to like it, but not on me.

DonFerrari said:

Are you one of those masochists on VGC? People that say they bought a console and hate all the games on it, or that burn 20h of their life on something they are hating but think 60USD is just to much money? Well watching 4 seasons of an Anime that you are not liking is even more strange.

Hehe, yeah, I guess you are right, it is a bit masochistic. But don't you ever have this urge to see something through that you once loved? I want to emphazise that I loved TLoU1 and Attack on Titan 1. So they had their hooks in me.

I have even more examples: I read Don Quijote 2, even though it bored me, just because I loved part 1. I wanted to see what happens to him. I watched some marvel movies that I had no interest in, just because they are part of something bigger that I do have interest in.

Let's not be too black or white here. I don't really hate TLoU2, have not even seen it through. But I surely don't like it enough to warrant a purchase.

I guess we see things differently. I didn't feel the game was preaching at all. Yes there is more LGBTQI+ representation than what you would find in average on real life, and Abby is quite dumb, and there are some parts where they talk about respecting this community and intolerance, but that is done very naturally and short.

I do follow some things that I loved but don't like as much to see how it end, but not hating, just liking it a tad less. When something just get tiring instead of enjoyable I quit.

For me a game that I would think is worthy 20h of my time seeing on YT (I hate seeing gameplay, just see short sessions of parts I have no idea what I need to do on the game) would be worthy purchasing, perhaps not full price but in that case I would also not be eager to watch on release as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Dahum said:

MotorStorm

Warhawk

Heavenly Sward

God of War 2 (PS2)

2008 should be included in the slow/weak years with only Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet being the notable big releases.

Well, most years since PS1 days will have great games, we had Gran Turismo selling 10-15 million since always, and great games all the time, if you go back to 2005 you have God of War and Shadow of the Collosus, for example. December 1999 Sony had The Legend of Dragoon and Gran Turismo 2, on a single month.

But I kinda agree that was in 2009 that Sony first party studios as a whole started a new era.

Because the PS3 was heavily underperforming for Sony expectations, and the 360 was taking so much market share to be as relevant as it was in the whole picture (destroying it on NA and being destroyed on EU and AS), Sony had to make a big move on several aspects of their strategy, and one of them was heavy investiments on first party games.

Then we got to 2009 and Uncharted 2 released and showed everybody what the fruits of that would start to give. Then we got God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, and so on, until The Last of Us, which was when the whole thing was clear for everybody, Sony was in another level now, to the point that even as the PS3 and 360 had similar numbers, everybody was just talking about Sony games by the end of the generation, crowned by The Last of Us.

After that Sony first party games image was consolidated and carried over to the next gen, which with the PS4 being very successful made them a bigger audience to sell for, and even as it was between PS1 and PS2 success, Sony first party games appeal, recognition and sales were like never, now it wasn't just Gran Turismo that could sell into the 10M territory, we got new IPs doing it, we got new a IP doing 20M actually, and even a 2nd party game smashed the 10M bar.

By the end of this gen Sony will have since 2009 at least 7 games from 6 different franchises have surpassed 10M (Gran Turismo 5, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider Man, The Last of Us Part 2 (as its very likely it will with 4M in 3 days)), compared to 3 games from the same franchise before (Gran Turismo 1, 3, 4). Worth noting that Gran Turismo sales actually declined after 2010, opposed to the trend of big increases of the other games.

So yeah, 2009 was kinda of a turning point for Sony first party games even as yes, if we go back we'll also find lots of amazing games, and actually some of my favorites, including my favorite, too.

Loved everything you said and yes i agree wholeheartedly now with what you stated! 2009 was indeed the year the shift truly happened with 1st party games and sony exclusives starting with U2.

I completely remember as I bought my PS3 in September 2009 and remember the hype for U2 was for the first time on a whole other level compared to games that came before it! And people were talking about it with amazement and shock and that trend was supported strongly with Heavy Rain and GOW3 following up back to back becoming the trinity and foundation that kickstarted the Sony exclusives renaissance era.

BraLoD said:
Dahum said:

MotorStorm

Warhawk

Heavenly Sward

God of War 2 (PS2)

Well, most years since PS1 days will have great games, we had Gran Turismo selling 10-15 million since always, and great games all the time, if you go back to 2005 you have God of War and Shadow of the Collosus, for example. December 1999 Sony had The Legend of Dragoon and Gran Turismo 2, on a single month.

But I kinda agree that was in 2009 that Sony first party studios as a whole started a new era.

Because the PS3 was heavily underperforming for Sony expectations, and the 360 was taking so much market share to be as relevant as it was in the whole picture (destroying it on NA and being destroyed on EU and AS), Sony had to make a big move on several aspects of their strategy, and one of them was heavy investiments on first party games.

Then we got to 2009 and Uncharted 2 released and showed everybody what the fruits of that would start to give. Then we got God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, and so on, until The Last of Us, which was when the whole thing was clear for everybody, Sony was in another level now, to the point that even as the PS3 and 360 had similar numbers, everybody was just talking about Sony games by the end of the generation, crowned by The Last of Us.

After that Sony first party games image was consolidated and carried over to the next gen, which with the PS4 being very successful made them a bigger audience to sell for, and even as it was between PS1 and PS2 success, Sony first party games appeal, recognition and sales were like never, now it wasn't just Gran Turismo that could sell into the 10M territory, we got new IPs doing it, we got new a IP doing 20M actually, and even a 2nd party game smashed the 10M bar.

By the end of this gen Sony will have since 2009 at least 7 games from 6 different franchises have surpassed 10M (Gran Turismo 5, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider Man, The Last of Us Part 2 (as its very likely it will with 4M in 3 days)), compared to 3 games from the same franchise before (Gran Turismo 1, 3, 4). Worth noting that Gran Turismo sales actually declined after 2010, opposed to the trend of big increases of the other games.

So yeah, 2009 was kinda of a turning point for Sony first party games even as yes, if we go back we'll also find lots of amazing games, and actually some of my favorites, including my favorite, too.

GTS will reach 10M as well. And I think there may be more 10M sellers 1st party games that we haven't seem official numbers yet.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

The game will continue to sell great, despite review-bombing and bad word of mouth. It obviously won't have the legs Nintendo 1st-party games have, but really no other publishers usually have that evergreen power.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
The game will continue to sell great, despite review-bombing and bad word of mouth. It obviously won't have the legs Nintendo 1st-party games have, but really no other publishers usually have that evergreen power.

Well we will only know for sure by like 1 year from now. And how much a possible remaster or patch for PS5 can push the sales.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

GTS will reach 10M as well. And I think there may be more 10M sellers 1st party games that we haven't seem official numbers yet.

I don't know about that, but I made room for it (and Ghost of Tsushima, thought I doubt it) when I said: at least.

GTS is supposed to have sold around 8M copies but we don't know for sure, and with next gen starting in some months I doubt if its behind 9M right now it has any change of topping 10M.

GT7 should have better chances, tho, as GTS online focus put a good bunch of people away, including me, that were once all over the series.

I'm very hopeful for GT7 now, let's see how it goes.

Well I would say GTS have at least 1 year of sales before GT7 releases, perhaps even more, so I think it will be over 9M when GT7 launches, perhaps needing only 500k to pass it.

DonFerrari said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

I guess we see things differently. I didn't feel the game was preaching at all. Yes there is more LGBTQI+ representation than what you would find in average on real life, and Abby is quite dumb, and there are some parts where they talk about respecting this community and intolerance, but that is done very naturally and short.

I do follow some things that I loved but don't like as much to see how it end, but not hating, just liking it a tad less. When something just get tiring instead of enjoyable I quit.

For me a game that I would think is worthy 20h of my time seeing on YT (I hate seeing gameplay, just see short sessions of parts I have no idea what I need to do on the game) would be worthy purchasing, perhaps not full price but in that case I would also not be eager to watch on release as well.

Yeah, totally, people like to consume differently. Interesting to hear, that what I do is out of the question for you.

I just want it to be out there that I have no problems at all with TLoU2's representation of different charakters. Honestly, I think it is great that we get actiony charakters like Nadine (U4/Lost Legacy) or the one now in TLoU2 that are very muscular. It always strikes me as unbelievable when supermodels brawl 120 kg dudes.

It is actually quite good how they do representation. Because the characters stories and personalities are never confined by their sexuality, skin colour, etc. For example, the game is not at all about Ellie being a lesbian, she just happens to be one. Makes it feel so natural and normal. I really like that.

I called the game preachy because a large portion of the game revolves around a moral lesson, that is thaught with as much subtlety as any cartoon can muster. The dialogue is cringy at times (at others the writing as quite good). The pacing is awful. Some scenes seem to not connect at all. Motivation of some characters is questionable at best. How their arcs form is very unsatisfying. And so much more, that I can't say without using names and spoiling stuff. It is a in quite some parts a hot, irredeemable mess. Tonight I'll be watching the ending. I hope my opinion is swayed in a bit of a positive direction.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Well I would say GTS have at least 1 year of sales before GT7 releases, perhaps even more, so I think it will be over 9M when GT7 launches, perhaps needing only 500k to pass it.

Based on PD schedules GT7 should still be indeed at least a year away, probably more.

But I doubt GTS will be of much relevancy with the PS5 around, only the top level games should still have the power to move considerable amounts after this holidays.

Quite possibly, or with BC and a good patch GTS could get a little more life on it until they are ready to give us GT7.

JuliusHackebeil said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, totally, people like to consume differently. Interesting to hear, that what I do is out of the question for you.

I just want it to be out there that I have no problems at all with TLoU2's representation of different charakters. Honestly, I think it is great that we get actiony charakters like Nadine (U4/Lost Legacy) or the one now in TLoU2 that are very muscular. It always strikes me as unbelievable when supermodels brawl 120 kg dudes.

It is actually quite good how they do representation. Because the characters stories and personalities are never confined by their sexuality, skin colour, etc. For example, the game is not at all about Ellie being a lesbian, she just happens to be one. Makes it feel so natural and normal. I really like that.

I called the game preachy because a large portion of the game revolves around a moral lesson, that is thaught with as much subtlety as any cartoon can muster. The dialogue is cringy at times (at others the writing as quite good). The pacing is awful. Some scenes seem to not connect at all. Motivation of some characters is questionable at best. How their arcs form is very unsatisfying. And so much more, that I can't say without using names and spoiling stuff. It is a in quite some parts a hot, irredeemable mess. Tonight I'll be watching the ending. I hope my opinion is swayed in a bit of a positive direction.

Yep people complaining of Ellie having caring conversation with Dina are wrong on it, it is very expected that newly formed couples will do that small talk several times and would be the same if they were heterossexual. And they are teens so that would also be expected.

Well I guess I missed the moral lesson =p I don't think they were trying to teach anything, just show how things unravelled for both. On the pacing I liked, and the flashbacks for me were good for me, but also I can see that people that wanted to like the game hated it.