By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: The Last of Us Part II Sells More Than 4 Million Copies, Fastest Selling PS4 Exclusive

Tagged games:

All press is good press. Even through all the leaks and divisive story elements it got people talking. This was always hyped to be the crown jewel of PS4 so these numbers do fall in line with the hype. Still skeptical of the legs but otherwise congrats to a solid week 1.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Great to see that the sales figures are so strong. Good for the

#Gaming-industry/developers

#AAA Games

#Singleplayer

And awesome for us players, because new & more games will be developed in the future
The story of Elli and Joel in part 2 is just as impressive and interesting as in part 1. I love it! =)
Gameplay, graphics, animation, attention to detail and atmosphere is incredible. The soundtracks are also wonderful, especially in the quiet moments.

By Naughty Dog:

We are so immensely grateful to the millions of fans around the world that have played The Last of Us Part II and shared their experiences with us over the last week. We set out to tell a new kind of story, one that deals with difficult themes and would challenge you in unexpected ways. Hearing how the experience has resonated with so many of you and witnessing the type of thoughtful discussions it has sparked has been so incredible. We’ve also been so inspired by your creativity—whether it’s your gorgeous Photo Mode shots, jaw-dropping gameplay GIFs, or the songs you’ve recorded using Ellie’s guitar.

The Last of Us Part II was made possible thanks to the efforts of the hundreds of talented and passionate developers here at Naughty Dog. We can imagine no greater honor than seeing that same passion mirrored by the people playing it. Thank you for helping us reach this amazing milestone.

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 28 June 2020

By the way: Head of Xbox Phil Spencer responded to the tweet congratulating Naughty Dog on the success of the game. "Congrats to you and the team on the success with a really great game," said Spencer.

sales2099 said:
All press is good press. Even through all the leaks and divisive story elements it got people talking. This was always hyped to be the crown jewel of PS4 so these numbers do fall in line with the hype. Still skeptical of the legs but otherwise congrats to a solid week 1.

Are you still sticking with your 6 million lifetime prediction on PS4?

OT

Great sales and well deserved....not sure what all the bad mouthing of the game is about or the hate. But the game is EXCELLENT so far!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
sales2099 said:

OT

Great sales and well deserved....not sure what all the bad mouthing of the game is about or the hate. But the game is EXCELLENT so far!

Ya I suppose I’m not. Didn’t expect such a high opening week. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

OT

Ya I suppose I’m not. Didn’t expect such a high opening week. 

Why not? It was reported long ago that it had more pre-orders than all previous Sony exclusives.

CGI-Quality said:
6 million LTD? XD

That's about as bad a prediction as I've ever seen for a game on these boards. It's even worse than the worst GT5 predictions of the late '00s.

Those were great, and the legs were superb it kept selling and selling breaking milestones that people said would be impossible. And if we consider the prologue as well it probably was the most profitable GT game, sales it was the highest one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
6 million LTD? XD

That's about as bad a prediction as I've ever seen for a game on these boards. It's even worse than the worst GT5 predictions of the late '00s.

Thanks man, appreciate the added salt in the wound lol. Severely overestimated the divisive story aspects on the fanbase. In the end they are but a vocal minority. 

Never thought id say it, but neil pulled it off with Abby. She's an amazing character.

Great Sales, good for the producers, and wait for the best game for then: Uncharted 5!

My favorite sony series. 

And had a 80% drop on weak 2. Its behaving kinda like a block buster movie that disapointed it audience (aka BvS and Star Wars), super high numbers on weak 1 based on hype and super strong weak 2 drops. 80% is acctualy kinda catastrophic tbh, even these blockbusters tend to have a 65-70% drop. The game has an unexcusably bad story that is beyond cliche, manipulative and super on the nose, disguised as some sophisticated and intelectual thing. It also has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese, ppl attacking those who think the game is bad and calling them bigots and watnot doe snot understand at all where the criticism is comming from.