By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jimquisition about movie comparisons, crunch and TLOU2

Jim Sterling has another take on the game industry. Mainly he talks about how comparing a game to movies falls flat and also that gaming company heads don't have the high ground, when they abuse their employees to get a game out on time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wt4Q6AnhLk

The Last of Us 2 is only the starting point of an interesting journey this video takes. Enjoy!

So, what do you think?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Good video. Motivated me to change my avatar back to classic.

The Last of Us Part II is another instance of video games as a medium being taken a step back, because the comparisons to other media with story-telling are ridiculous. Sterling does a good job of going over previous instances of this nonsense.

I had to agree with your post alone for the fact that your avatar is back at normal.

Now we know what we get with you, as the old VGC-saying is: Never trust a user with a KimPossible avatar.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Brilliant video.

Wow, that was one heck of a video. He just... Nailed it. He nailed everything. The stupid comparisons with cinema, how game developers believe they are entitled to have great scores, how some of them are a bunch of hypocrites when they abuse their staff in many ways but then claim for decency when someone attack their little ego, how big reviewers constantly overhype the current triple A game by saying its an absolute masterpiece just to be proven wrong not much later and how The Last of Us II fails to convey its premise exactly because it's a triple A videogame that needs to be widely succesful.

I'm not really a fan of Jim... But this right here is pure gold. Everyone should watch this...

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 22 June 2020

RolStoppable said:
Good video. Motivated me to change my avatar back to classic.

The Last of Us Part II is another instance of video games as a medium being taken a step back, because the comparisons to other media with story-telling are ridiculous. Sterling does a good job of going over previous instances of this nonsense.

What was your avatar earlier today?

Around the Network

Haven't seen a Jim video in forever. YouTube isn't even recommending them every though I'm subscribed. I'll gladly check this one out IF there are no spoilers for TLoU 2.

I mean, of course devs/publishers feel entitled to good scores, they're the ones sponsoring all these gaming outlets. Things is though, if we're being honest, it's not just the devs that feel they're entitled to great scores. The fanbases also feel the games of their favorite developers/publishers are entitled to great scores, whether it's for simple validation, or to use as ammo in console war debates. So what you end up with as a gaming..."journalist," is people on both sides telling you they wish to be pandered to, and getting very angry with you when you step out of line. Hell, the vast majority of your audience is never even going to actually read your work. All they're looking for is the right number value at the end. Unless of course you do step out of line, in which case you can rest assured that your words will be turned over with a fine tooth comb.

So, ultimately, there's no incentive for all these gaming outlets to change course. Why go out of your way to possibly upset devs/publishers? You risk losing valuable sponsorships, access, etc, and get...what? Unhappy "readers," annoyed at you for not giving the new game in their favorite franchise a score befitting of it's prestige? Not likely.

d21lewis said:
Haven't seen a Jim video in forever. YouTube isn't even recommending them every though I'm subscribed. I'll gladly check this one out IF there are no spoilers for TLoU 2.

Well, the video isn't really about TLOU and Jim doesn't say much about it, except that at the end of the day it is a game, not a movie. In the background you see some scenes from the game and some other games (Heavy Rain, GTA IV), but nothing that looked like a cutscene or so. So if there is something spoilery, than it can only come from details in these scenes I am not aware of (as I didn't play it).

What is the score he gave to tlou2?

EnricoPallazzo said:
What is the score he gave to tlou2?

He hasn't given scores to games in at least a few years now.