By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jimquisition about movie comparisons, crunch and TLOU2

hinch said:
curl-6 said:

I haven't played the game so i cannot comment on it, but I absolutely agree with Jim as far the self-defeating nature of games trying to be like movies, and the silliness of comparing the games to cinema.

The more games try to be like movies, the more they squander the strengths of gaming as a medium.

That said, I think games can indeed tell a compelling narrative and address serious themes, but the ones that do so successfully are the ones that don't let doing so detract from or clash with the gameplay; basically, the ones that still focus on being a good game instead of trying to be an interactive movie.

There is room for both. There are many (like me) who like the movie-like experience and aspect of TLOU and Uncharted games.

TLOU 2 plays better than the first if we talk about gameplay. Everything is tightened up, from combat to movement and interactivity with the environments. Not to mention newly added tools and weapons to your disposal. The same goes for Uncharted games.

Neil Druckman obviously put his heart and soul into the game so it would be disheartening to have people take the piss about the story. I would say that he kinda embarrassed himself by responding. Just because you think your story is amazing by video game standards doesn't mean you have something that is comparable to any cinema definining film. And that's fine.

Also variety is a good thing. We don't have many studios left creating these huge AAA games  and I would be disappointed if Naughtydog's next title was a spiritual successor to Crash Bandicoot or something.

What? Huge AAA productions are still a mainstay of both Sony/MS first party and every major third party publisher. They're certainly not rare or a dying breed or anything.

Around the Network

I agree that the more devs focus on trying to emulate film with their games, the more out of touch they become because that focus on emulating film usually comes at the expense of focusing on the game side. So you’ll usually get games that are light on gameplay or less refined gameplay wise. To me, ND games have been a prime example of this the last two gens. That’s where imho a developer like Rockstar shines because they provide the best of both worlds. They don’t skimp on gameplay to provide a cinematic experience.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I agree that the more devs focus on trying to emulate film with their games, the more out of touch they become because that focus on emulating film usually comes at the expense of focusing on the game side. So you’ll usually get games that are light on gameplay or less refined gameplay wise. To me, ND games have been a prime example of this the last two gens. That’s where imho a developer like Rockstar shines because they provide the best of both worlds. They don’t skimp on gameplay to provide a cinematic experience.

You have to be mocking if you think RDR2 have better or more gameplay than TLOU2.

RDR2 was a bore fest (pretty scenery and average story), never had a single issue or hardship playing on hard, I think I died only 2 times in the whole game. It was just to easy to kill everyone and it was quite simple gameplay through and through.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Better is subjective. More is factual. And I’m not even a big fan of RDR2.

Almost at the end of watching the story now and it still hasnt paid off for me,it makes me feel awfull almost the whole way through and the flashbacks with Joel seem to be the best part for myself and even those are not that well written.I was wrong at first saying the gameplay did not improve enough for a modern game,it looks to be good enough except the low ammo would irritate me but that's something others would also like about it for the survival aspect of the game.
But i would like to see what else Neil Druckman has writed/directed for and see if the negatives compare with the writing in this game,sometimes a certain kind of way a person inserts his story tels about that same person his personality like Stephen King has his patterns with stereotyping or lovecraft with xenophobia.