Forums - Sony Discussion - Now that Naughty Dog is finished with the The Last of Us, its time to return to Jak and Daxter!

Signalstar said:
No one cared about The Lost Frontier. The series is dead. Sly 4 also flew under the radar. Only Ratchet survived (and thrived) of the three PS2 platformers because survival of the fittest.

In the defense of both Lost Frontier and Sly 4, they were both released on systems that were already near the end of their popularity while Ratchet and Clank released kinda early on the PS3 and PS4. 



Around the Network
axumblade said:
Signalstar said:
No one cared about The Lost Frontier. The series is dead. Sly 4 also flew under the radar. Only Ratchet survived (and thrived) of the three PS2 platformers because survival of the fittest.

In the defense of both Lost Frontier and Sly 4, they were both released on systems that were already near the end of their popularity while Ratchet and Clank released kinda early on the PS3 and PS4. 

And both games were the worst in their series.



Wait a minute, I thought they were done. I thought we saw The Last of Them, and that they were going to walk away for good and do something else outside of video games?



Dulfite said:
Wait a minute, I thought they were done. I thought we saw The Last of Them, and that they were going to walk away for good and do something else outside of video games?

Huh? I think you read wrong. I do remember them saying Last of us 2 was the last though.



Xxain said:
axumblade said:

In the defense of both Lost Frontier and Sly 4, they were both released on systems that were already near the end of their popularity while Ratchet and Clank released kinda early on the PS3 and PS4. 

And both games were the worst in their series.

Releasing at the end of a gen should not be a huge detriment. You have a larger install base after all. The Last of Us launched just a few months before the PS4 came out. God of War II came out after the PS3 already released. I think what doomed those projects were they were spread across consoles and handhelds so they experienced less hype as exclusives . Also they both were poorly marketed.

Ratchet and Clank have had their misfires as well. Full Frontal Assault, Into the Nexus, not to mention a movie that bombed. I think Insomniac is just more passionate about that franchise than Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch were about Jak and Sly. We did not even get a new original Ratchet game this generation, we got an (awesome) remake/reimagining and it sold really well.

(Off Topic: I really wish they would add back online multiplayer to Ratchet. And to The Last of Us 2 for that matter.)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I hope they surprise us with a completely new IP that’s different from Uncharted and The Last of Us. Both in tone and gameplay.




The last naughty dog games I enjoyed were the Jak games and are some of my favorite PS2 games. Ive reluctantly played all the uncharted games and the first last of us but I don't really like any of the games and just want to avoid naughty dog forever since I can't see them ever making games I will enjoy again so I personally wouldn't want them to make another Jak game, sure if they did the production value would be off the roof but I dont think they could make the Jak games the same way anymore.



Xxain said:
axumblade said:

In the defense of both Lost Frontier and Sly 4, they were both released on systems that were already near the end of their popularity while Ratchet and Clank released kinda early on the PS3 and PS4. 

And both games were the worst in their series.

Eh Sly 4 was better than the 1st Sly in my opinion. Neither were developed by Sucker Punch or Naughty Dog too so that could explain a dip in overall quality (Though Daxter was still one of the highlights of the PSP era).

Also, @Xxain end of gen games that are basically tossed out as filler between generations aren't the same as releasing AAA new IPs like The Last of Us or God of War. There was almost no promotion for either game. 



I know the series was always western but those designs scream of when in the 7th gen every Japanese IP rebooted in some shitty gritty western style. They all flopped.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'd rather have a new IP from Naughty Dog. This is the only gen where they haven't made one!

That rumored sci - fi, space opera sounds a lot more interesting than Jak 4, and I loved the original trilogy.