By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to showcase XSX as well as UE5 showcased PS5

There's no doubt about it, the recent UE5 demo for PS5 was a stroke of genius in terms of selling the graphical power of Sony's next gen machine.

The ball in MS's court now; they need to show Xbox Series X can produce results just as impressive. The recent gameplay event didn't quite cut it in this regard; nothing shown there looked even close to the UE5 showcase.

The run up to a generation is where a lot of narrative surrounding consoles is established; we saw this with the current generation where Xbox One's status as the less desirable machine was cemented before it even hit shelves, and no amount of backtracking ever quite repaired the damage.

Right now, Sony is establishing the narrative, as they have in previous generations, that Playstation is the top dog in graphics, the place to be for the best looking games. MS can either sit back and let them dictate the narrative, or they can challenge it.

"In-engine" cinematic stuff isn't going to do the trick; gamers have wised up to the fact that these can be faked. The reason the UE5 demo worked so well was that it was presented as gameplay. Whatever the best looking game MS have up their sleeve at the moment, they should put together a gameplay showcase for it. Show what their new system can do and why people who care about visuals shouldn't just get a PS5 instead.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 June 2020

Around the Network

I am sure they are cooking up something to show off during their first party games event. Wouldn't be surprised if they show off a different engine as well like the Cry Engine.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

dont worry M$ is here to stay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Forza is a easy pick for graphical showcase I’m not worried.

It still is frustrating that Sony took credit for that demo...they don’t use UE. The Coalition with Gears 5, Ninja Theory for Hellblade, upcoming games like Inexiles AAA game, Hellblade 2, Obsidians AAA projects. These are games that showcased and will showcase UE in its glory.

Far as I’m concerned the UE5 demo advertised what Series X can do with developers that actually use it (XGS). Perhaps at an even higher frame rate with better lighting. To anyone who may look to report, this isn’t baiting. Sony got the win I just feel it was a dirty move.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

curl-6 said:

There's no doubt about it, the recent UE5 demo for PS5 was a stroke of genius in terms of selling the graphical power of Sony's next gen machine.

The ball in MS's court now; they need to show Xbox Series X can produce results just as impressive. The recent gameplay event didn't quite cut it in this regard; nothing shown there looked even close to the UE5 showcase.

The run up to a generation is where a lot of narrative surrounding consoles is established; we saw this with the current generation where Xbox One's status as the less desirable machine was cemented before it even hit shelves, and no amount of backtracking ever quite repaired the damage.

Right now, Sony is establishing the narrative, as they have in previous generations, that Playstation is the top dog in graphics, the place to be for the best looking games. MS can either sit back and let them dictate the narrative, or they can challenge it.

"In-engine" cinematic stuff isn't going to do the trick; gamers have wised up to the fact that these can be faked. The reason the UE5 demo worked so well was that it was presented as gameplay. Whatever the best looking game MS have up their sleeve at the moment, they should put together a gameplay showcase for it. Show what their new system can do and why people who care about visuals shouldn't just get a PS5 instead.

Worst part for them is that they can't really show UE5 (not even because of possible agreement from Sony and Epic) but because it would just be a "we can do it to" (and they already done that on tweeter and no result), and they need to show even prettier games than Sony if not their power advantage will look needless for most customers and if they are more expensive that will only hurt more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

It still is frustrating that Sony took credit for that demo...they don’t use UE. The Coalition with Gears 5, Ninja Theory for Hellblade, upcoming games like Inexiles AAA game, Hellblade 2, Obsidians AAA projects. These are games that showcased and will showcase UE in its glory.

Far as I’m concerned the UE5 demo advertised what Series X can do with developers that actually use it (XGS). Perhaps at an even higher frame rate with better lighting. To anyone who may look to report, this isn’t baiting. Sony got the win I just feel it was a dirty move.

That is because Sony thought it would be unfair to show their exclusives before hand because they would look even better than UE5 demo and would put MS in a bad light =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

all they care about is frames per second.

KratosLives said:
all they care about is frames per second.

Battletoads at 300 frames pr secound confirmed :)
That 'll show off the power of the XSX!

sales2099 said:

I'm sorry but this response is hilarious.

OP: MS will have hellblade 2 to show hopefully but based on their cross gen commitment I'm concerned for them that it maybe the only true next gen showcase in July.

Even with the more powerful hardware, PS5 may win the graphics war in the mind of consumers.

Meh, M$ doesn't need to push graphics that hard. Imo they should focus on performance. Those insane levels of graphical fidelity mainly benefit narrative driven games anyway.

I suppose hellblade 2 and whatever the initiative are working on will be their big graphical showcases, but ultimately most games already look more than "good enough." Most games however don't *play* good enough.