By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to showcase XSX as well as UE5 showcased PS5

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Days Gone is not a graphical showcase of UE. All top Sony studios don’t use it while I’m saying Xbox studios use UE like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Inexile, and Coalition with Gears 4/5. 

To me it’s deceptive because you won’t see a top tier Sony studio use UE5 where as we most definitely will see Xbox studios use it eventually. I stand by my point but I will admit it was a brilliant PR move though. 

Days Gone looks better than most Xbox games made on UE though.

And their last experience was basically versions of games to PSVita.

I’m aware of their history. It doesn’t change the point I made. If ANY of the top studios use UE like ND, SM, SP, Guerilla I wouldn’t even have this opinion. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Days Gone looks better than most Xbox games made on UE though.

And their last experience was basically versions of games to PSVita.

I’m aware of their history. It doesn’t change the point I made. If ANY of the top studios use UE like ND, SM, SP, Guerilla I wouldn’t even have this opinion. 

Then their game would look worse so there would be no point in doing it. The reason they opted to make their own engine was first to have it specialized in what PS4 had (strengh use and compensate weakness) also on what the studio needed. And even with a second tier studio using a market available engine they were able to put a game that looks better than most games even from 1st tier studios from MS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

You speak as if gameplay downgrade is not a thing.

As per your point, I will be extremely surprised if ANY company shows a game this year that looks as good as that demo. Furthermore, ever since MS announced that they will be focusing on 60fps, I think it is safe to assume that Sony´s games will probably look more impressive graphically speaking. Will that affect sales on the first year? it's hard to say, but I'm inclined to think that most people who buy a console on the first year have already their mind up even before said consoles are announced.

Console gamers haven't cared for 60fps mostly, so if the power difference amount to Sony games being much prettier and MS games running at 60fps there won't be a reason to pay more for the stronger HW for most of the buyers.

They haven't cared for prettier games, either. Otherwise the Switch and Wii would have sold like dog shit, the PS3 would have never taken off, the Dreamcast would have been a massive success, and the OG Xbox would have trounced the PS2. If the CoD bro crowd prefers pretty narrative titles, more power to them. I'll take games feeling much better with higher frame rates. I play Horizon 4 on the Scorpio with the 60fps option even though I can get better graphics if I choose that setting. It's not like picking the 60fps option makes it an ugly game, on Scorpio it's still the best looking console racer. It can just look even better.

If the market shows they want flashy visuals over the feel of 60+ FPS then there's nothing MS from making a single player title at 30fps. In the end it will just boil down to quality. No one gives a shit that Order 1886 looks great, because the game sucks. MS can make a game with 240fps, if it's not any good then no one will care. chakkra was right, most people who buy the consoles early already have their mind made up and have for awhile.

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

"In-engine" cinematic stuff isn't going to do the trick; gamers have wised up to the fact that these can be faked. The reason the UE5 demo worked so well was that it was presented as gameplay. Whatever the best looking game MS have up their sleeve at the moment, they should put together a gameplay showcase for it. Show what their new system can do and why people who care about visuals shouldn't just get a PS5 instead.

As per your point, I will be extremely surprised if ANY company shows a game this year that looks as good as that demo. Furthermore, ever since MS announced that they will be focusing on 60fps, I think it is safe to assume that Sony´s games will probably look more impressive graphically speaking. Will that affect sales on the first year? it's hard to say, but I'm inclined to think that most people who buy a console on the first year have already their mind up even before said consoles are announced.

I don't expect early PS5/XSX games to look as good as the UE5 demo either, but I'm sure the demo still got a lot of people hyped to buy a PS5. The demo has over 12 million views already, more than most trailers for high-profile games.

MS should make a similar case for why theirs is the box to get for those who want amazing next gen visuals.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Maybe if MS made a UE5 demo for Series X, you reduce the resolution a bit and could run on the PS5.

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I don't expect early PS5/XSX games to look as good as the UE5 demo either, but I'm sure the demo still got a lot of people hyped to buy a PS5. The demo has over 12 million views already, more than most trailers for high-profile games.

MS should make a similar case for why theirs is the box to get for those who want amazing next gen visuals.

The point is, do they have anything graphically impressive to show at all? I mean, they pledged to support the old xboxes for the first few years and they're focusing so much on high frame rates and 4k that I'm not sure they have visually impressive stuff to show. That's just not part of their strategy at this point (but I'm sure they'll do a U-turn in the next few years).

curl-6 said:
chakkra said:

I'm not entirely sure they actually need to do it. Like I said before, most people who buy a console in its first year are hardcore gamers who already have an alliance to an specific brand. I mean, millions of people purchased the X1 knowing full well that they were paying $100 more while getting less visual quality in all multiplatform games. If that doesn't tell you how dedicated these people are to their ecosystem then I don't know what will.

And don't get me wrong, I know that beautiful graphics get a lot of people hyped and even convince them to make a purchase, but you make it sound like the whole fate of the next gen relies solely on the graphics of the first few games shown; but I think what matter the most is the actual quality of the games in the first year (as long as the price and power difference is not that large between the two systems) because that's when the not-so-hardcore crowd comes in and makes their decision based on comparisons of what the two consoles have to offer.

Hell Blade 2 and Gears of war 6 will do the job.

Personally I hope MS doesn't use Forza as it's graphical showcase game, that would be a terrible choice as racing games aren't exactly the most exciting games out there. Hellblade 2 seems like a better choice if Ninja Theory has something playable to showoff.

I mean, if you want to get technical, they already did. The Hellblade 2 reveal was in-engine running on Series X. Not quite the same as gameplay, but neither was the Unreal 5 demo for PS5; it is a tech demo, not an actual game. And Hellblade 2 overall looked better than the Unreal demo in my opinion, Senua in particular blew away the character model in the UE5 demo, but the environments in the Hellblade 2 trailer were pretty darn impressive too. The Bright Memory Infinite Xbox Series X gameplay also looked pretty darn good, especially considering it's a 1 man dev team. 

But either way, we'll be getting more Series X gameplay at the 1st, 2nd, and AAA 3rd party event in July. Not too long to wait now to see what Series X is capable of. If the rumors are true, they'll have multiple graphical showpieces there, including next-gen builds of Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8 (which are rumored to be built from the ground up for Xbox Series, so that they won't be held back by XB1). I wouldn't be surprised to see gameplay footage from Hellblade 2, The Initiative's AAA game (rumored to be a Perfect Dark reboot), and Playground's AAA RPG (rumored to be a Fable reboot) as well, which should all be graphical showcase titles. Also we'll likely see the Series X port of Flight Simulator, which will be about as gorgeous as the PC footage we have seen of the game. And there will be 3rd party AAA's there as well, like actual gameplay footage for AC Valhalla and the next-gen build of Cyberpunk 2077; I'm sure MS has several other big 3rd party marketing deals as well. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 04 June 2020