By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to showcase XSX as well as UE5 showcased PS5

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Full game sizes with the assets in the UE5 tech demo would be massive. I believe someone at Epic said recently that a thirty hour game would be hundreds of GB in size. It was designed to show off tech, not represent an actual game. Idk why anyone would want a company to showcase something that doesn't represent reality. I think people have forgotten that Epic showcases engines on Sony hardware like every gen (or at least the last three) and always talks about how the console has surpassed the PC and how utterly amazing the hardware is and yet the graphics haven't really caught up to those tech demos in most cases.

It was a tech demo. We already saw people questioning Hellblade II and more recently Scorn for not being in game on actual XSX hardware, the gaming world would be ok with MS making literal bullshots so long as they look good? lol

The issue some ppl have with Hellblade 2 and Scorn (I can't remember this vid) is that what was shown was clearly not a gameplay segment and passing it off as being representative of the games graphics is disingenuous. the UE5 tech demo looked, and was said to be, playable.

That's a very different thing, whether you think the graphics are possible for an actual game or not.

But yes, ultimately we have to wait to see what AAA budget games look like next gen. 

The videos all came with 2 caveats

1) Console and game in development, so it can change

2) It is representative of the graphic.

So that pretty much show it isn`t really a game running realtime on Xbox but just a target render.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Them staying has never been the problem, but rather the question being able make their own high quality new IP .

There are numerous IPs that became fully realized thanks to MS bankrolling them. Those are risks many would have unlikely taken on. Its hard to imagine Halo being what it is without MS. Bungie was an obscure studio before that.

There are also several notable IPs made and owned by MS.

Nothing rare has made under Microsoft has ever come close to the hey-day of their catalogue with better management under Nintendo. The only two new IP to naturally survive without gamepass are Ori and Cuphead. 

Can't wait to hear about the IP to come.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There are numerous IPs that became fully realized thanks to MS bankrolling them. Those are risks many would have unlikely taken on. Its hard to imagine Halo being what it is without MS. Bungie was an obscure studio before that.

Nothing rare has made under Microsoft has ever come close to the hey-day of their catalogue with better management under Nintendo. The only two new IP to naturally survive without gamepass are Ori and Cuphead. 

Was this a debate about Rare? Either way, Sea of Thieves is surprisingly a game people actually like. I'm amazed how well its doing Steam as well. The Steam page has it at Very Positive with 5600+ reviews. If anything, Gamepass encouraged more people to try Sea of Thieves.

What does Ori and Cuphead have to do with anything? Those are games that exist as they do because Microsoft bankrolled them btw. That's a great contribution to industry in my opinion given these were not proven studios.

What IP to come? Did you respond to me while drinking? You just threw random thoughts.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Now that they've confirmed Hellblade 2 will be a UE5 game, I think it would be the perfect showcase if it's far enough along for gameplay to be ready for showtime.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't disagree with you.
RARE isn't the same company that was on the Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64, there was a mass exodus when Microsoft purchased them.

In saying that... Some of their games were pretty solid.

Kameo for instance was a criminally underrated early game for the Xbox 360... I believe it should have came out on the OG Xbox as well personally, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Banjo Kazooi nuts and bolts was a very enjoyable title, the main dislike there was how it deviated from prior entries in the franchise. Which is a fair criticism, I personally enjoyed it for what it was.

Viva Pinata was like cocaine, hours would fly past, I had to ban myself from even touching the game case.

Conker live and reloaded was absolutely fantastic.

Perfect Dark: Zero was a pretty average game, it was okay. It wasn't amazing or genre defining like the first title, nor did it showcase what the Xbox 360 could do... And the voice acting was freaking terrible. - What is with that accent and hair Joanna?

Kinect games were all hot garbage.

Rare Replay was a decent compilation, obviously nothing new in the package.

Sea of Thieves isn't really my type of game, it's game as a service and it released with minimal content, how it fairs today? Don't know.

Killer Instinct was good, it wasn't developed by just Rare but they did contribute to the project, it's probably one of the best fighters of the generation in my opinion... And that says allot considering it's 7 years old now.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I don't disagree with you.
RARE isn't the same company that was on the Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64, there was a mass exodus when Microsoft purchased them.

In saying that... Some of their games were pretty solid.

Kameo for instance was a criminally underrated early game for the Xbox 360... I believe it should have came out on the OG Xbox as well personally, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Banjo Kazooi nuts and bolts was a very enjoyable title, the main dislike there was how it deviated from prior entries in the franchise. Which is a fair criticism, I personally enjoyed it for what it was.

Viva Pinata was like cocaine, hours would fly past, I had to ban myself from even touching the game case.

Conker live and reloaded was absolutely fantastic.

Perfect Dark: Zero was a pretty average game, it was okay. It wasn't amazing or genre defining like the first title, nor did it showcase what the Xbox 360 could do... And the voice acting was freaking terrible. - What is with that accent and hair Joanna?

Kinect games were all hot garbage.

Rare Replay was a decent compilation, obviously nothing new in the package.

Sea of Thieves isn't really my type of game, it's game as a service and it released with minimal content, how it fairs today? Don't know.

Killer Instinct was good, it wasn't developed by just Rare but they did contribute to the project, it's probably one of the best fighters of the generation in my opinion... And that says allot considering it's 7 years old now.

Banjo Kazooie N&B and Killer Instinct are probably my favorite games to come out of Rare and its IPs. In general, not just of the MS era. I'm simply not a big fan of their older stuff or feel its over rated.

People keep talking about how Rare changed or was ruined by MS. The reality is they had hits and made some solid games Nintendo fans would have enjoyed.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Banjo Kazooie N&B and Killer Instinct are probably my favorite games to come out of Rare and its IPs. In general, not just of the MS era. I'm simply not a big fan of their older stuff or feel its over rated.

People keep talking about how Rare changed or was ruined by MS. The reality is they had hits and made some solid games Nintendo fans would have enjoyed.

I absolutely adored Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo... Tropical Freeze on WiiU/Switch doesn't give me the same excitement, maybe it's because I have gotten older and my individualistic tastes in games have thus shifted, I have allot less enthusiasm to platformers than I once did. (Although Ori had amazing art and sound design, can't applaud it highly enough.)

Killer Instinct I loved on the Super Nintendo and the Xbox One version probably plays closer homage to that than Killer Instinct Gold on the Nintendo 64, that's not an easy feat in my opinion considering the fundamental technology shifts and development teams.

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye defined an entire gaming console cycle, they were *the* reasons to buy a Nintendo 64 at the time. (Other than Ocarina of Time and Mario 64.)

In my opinion, RARE still hits it out of the park more often than not, it's just we have allot more competition in the gaming space where being "good" is often not enough anymore, our expectations just keep getting higher.

So in my opinion... Other than the Kinect shovelware, RARE's games never stopped being good, we just have more options in the market these days, that's definitely not a bad thing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I feel like we're getting off track here.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I absolutely adored Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo... Tropical Freeze on WiiU/Switch doesn't give me the same excitement, maybe it's because I have gotten older and my individualistic tastes in games have thus shifted, I have allot less enthusiasm to platformers than I once did. (Although Ori had amazing art and sound design, can't applaud it highly enough.)

Killer Instinct I loved on the Super Nintendo and the Xbox One version probably plays closer homage to that than Killer Instinct Gold on the Nintendo 64, that's not an easy feat in my opinion considering the fundamental technology shifts and development teams.

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye defined an entire gaming console cycle, they were *the* reasons to buy a Nintendo 64 at the time. (Other than Ocarina of Time and Mario 64.)

In my opinion, RARE still hits it out of the park more often than not, it's just we have allot more competition in the gaming space where being "good" is often not enough anymore, our expectations just keep getting higher.

So in my opinion... Other than the Kinect shovelware, RARE's games never stopped being good, we just have more options in the market these days, that's definitely not a bad thing.

Yeah, I remember thinking DKC was amazing on Super Nintendo. But I didn't REALLY enjoy it, not a game I care to revisit. Kinda frustrating and just above average overall. I rather play Mario or Sonic games to be honest. Had more fun with DKC Returns than other games in the series.

I played the KI arcade games as a kid, even spent significant time with the console ports. However, the Xbox One release is more enjoyable. Less clunky and just easier to play. I think the original KI games didn't age well because the basic attacks feel weak compared to other popular fighters. It not very fun unless you become skilled at combos. The new game is better balanced, easier to jump in and play and the combo system is unique for the genre.

N64 FPS games were a significant part of the 5th gen, but they didn't define it. If that was the case than N64 would have sold much better. Instead I would say people went to N64 for various FPS games and Nintendo stuff in general. Personally, I didn't care for them. I really started enjoying console FPS games when Xbox released. Halo, Doom 3, Half Life 2, etc. Stuff like that on console really impressed me.

Agreed, studios that were doing cutting edge games in the 90s are rarely doing impressive games now. The fact that Rare still exists and makes enjoyable games means they beat the odds.

I kinda like their Kinect games as well... I may revisit Kinect Rivals.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 11 June 2020

Recently Completed

curl-6 said:
I feel like we're getting off track here.

Agreed, it was a bad topic to begin with.

So talking about other stuff was more enjoyable.

Recently Completed