By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to showcase XSX as well as UE5 showcased PS5

sales2099 said:

Well it’s Xbox and 360 in addition to Xbox One. BC spanning 3 gens is an exclusive feature that they are and should be pushing. Preservation of ones library and games legacy is something all gamers can get behind. 

There is demand. That ign survey of most requested PS5 features (bc). A lot of twitter comments, it’s not a niche request. People can buy a new console but still want to revisit games or play ones they haven’t got to. It could be the very simple logic that nobody really wants to go through the effort of hooking up a old console when one box can do it all. 

In the end, Xbox does have the power advantage. So Ms will play that card when they see fit. 

Oh really?

How many GC and Wii games have I played in the last decade, zero. (WiiU still connected, kids still play MK8 once or twice a year)
How many ps1, ps2, ps3 games have I played in the last 12, 10, 5 years, zero. (PS3 still connected, for blu-ray player)

Preservation of game legacy is great, SotC remake on ps4 and Windwaker on WiiU are amazing highlights. I loved playing Grim Fandango again, Rez Infinite is a masterful fit for VR. Yet BC, I never use it and find it rather pointless for preservation purposes. I rather have remakes or proper remasters, same as scanning the original 35mm movie prints, clean up the scratches in 8K and remix the soundtrack for movies. Even though I can pop the dvd into an upscaling 4K player. (And I never heard anyone say, we need DVD support in next gen players to preserve movie libraries)

Conina said:
last92 said:

However PS5 will have close to 100% backward compatibility too according to Cerny, it's not like it's a xbox exclusive feature.

Can you show us his quote about that?

The latest statement of Sony is that PS5 compatibility is mandatory only for new PS4 games which are submitted for certification beginning 13th July 2020.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-29-new-ps4-games-must-be-playstation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

Ensuring PS5 compatibility for all the other >4000 PS4 games is "strongly recommended". And it doesn't seem to happen automatically on a system level, but the burden of patching the games is with the game developers (if they still exist).

It's funny people twist Quality Assurance into a bad thing. The PS5 will play all ps4 games, yet it's always possible something doesn't work quite as intended. it won't be any different with XSX. (Why would you need smart delivery otherwise...)

Most games won't need any patches or fixes. It's basically boost mode on ps4 pro. Most games, no issues, yet some might not work completely as intended in boost mode. Plus it's not just whether it will run, different controller, different resolution (text sizes), blurry (low res) hud elements are all part of QA.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

Can you show us his quote about that?

The latest statement of Sony is that PS5 compatibility is mandatory only for new PS4 games which are submitted for certification beginning 13th July 2020.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-29-new-ps4-games-must-be-playstation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

Ensuring PS5 compatibility for all the other >4000 PS4 games is "strongly recommended". And it doesn't seem to happen automatically on a system level, but the burden of patching the games is with the game developers (if they still exist).

It's funny people twist Quality Assurance into a bad thing. The PS5 will play all ps4 games, yet it's always possible something doesn't work quite as intended. it won't be any different with XSX. (Why would you need smart delivery otherwise...)

Most games won't need any patches or fixes. It's basically boost mode on ps4 pro. Most games, no issues, yet some might not work completely as intended in boost mode. Plus it's not just whether it will run, different controller, different resolution (text sizes), blurry (low res) hud elements are all part of QA.

Source that PS5 will play ALL PS4 games, please!

Source that most PS4 games won't need any patches or fixes to run on PS5, please!

These are just assumptions and Sony's current statements are speaking a totally different language... I really hope that they are just miscommunicating, since I want to replace my PS4 with a PS5 as soon as possible (and I don't have infinite HDMI ports + space to keep them both connected).

And no one said that quality assurance is a bad thing.

Guess what: Microsoft does that too: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/

"With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately."

SvennoJ said:
sales2099 said:

Well it’s Xbox and 360 in addition to Xbox One. BC spanning 3 gens is an exclusive feature that they are and should be pushing. Preservation of ones library and games legacy is something all gamers can get behind. 

There is demand. That ign survey of most requested PS5 features (bc). A lot of twitter comments, it’s not a niche request. People can buy a new console but still want to revisit games or play ones they haven’t got to. It could be the very simple logic that nobody really wants to go through the effort of hooking up a old console when one box can do it all. 

In the end, Xbox does have the power advantage. So Ms will play that card when they see fit. 

Oh really?

How many GC and Wii games have I played in the last decade, zero. (WiiU still connected, kids still play MK8 once or twice a year)
How many ps1, ps2, ps3 games have I played in the last 12, 10, 5 years, zero. (PS3 still connected, for blu-ray player)

Preservation of game legacy is great, SotC remake on ps4 and Windwaker on WiiU are amazing highlights. I loved playing Grim Fandango again, Rez Infinite is a masterful fit for VR. Yet BC, I never use it and find it rather pointless for preservation purposes. I rather have remakes or proper remasters, same as scanning the original 35mm movie prints, clean up the scratches in 8K and remix the soundtrack for movies. Even though I can pop the dvd into an upscaling 4K player. (And I never heard anyone say, we need DVD support in next gen players to preserve movie libraries)

Conina said:

You can’t use yourself in a survey. Hey look I can do it too! This year alone I played Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Odyssey, Army of Two, Sonic Generations, Earth Defence Force 2017, Grand Theft Auto 5 (campaign), and Banjo Kazooie. Games I missed back in the day and I’m glad I was able to beat them via back catalog/Game Pass. Because Xbox allowed me access to them. People like you who don’t revisit generations past aren’t alone, but then again neither are people like me. It’s part of why I’m team Xbox. 

I get it, you prefer to keep paying money for remasters but call me crazy I like to play upgraded games for free. Like I said, people really only talk about BC in the launch period. That’s why Ms is pushing their distinct advantage in this area.  But they still have the power advantage and will showcase it when they see fit. Sony just trying extra hard to prove they arent weak in their own right despite being less powerful. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 02 June 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

Source that most PS4 games won't need any patches or fixes to run on PS5, please!

These are just assumptions and Sony's current statements are speaking a totally different language... I really hope that they are just miscommunicating, since I want to replace my PS4 with a PS5 as soon as possible (and I don't have infinite HDMI ports + space to keep them both connected).

Guess what: Microsoft does that too: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/

"With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/21188585/sony-ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps4-games-support-majority-plus-titles

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh really?

You can’t use yourself in a survey. Hey look I can do it too! This year alone I played Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Odyssey, Army of Two, Sonic Generations, Earth Defence Force 2017, Grand Theft Auto 5 (campaign), and Banjo Kazooie. Games I missed back in the day and I’m glad I was able to beat them via back catalog/Game Pass. Because Xbox allowed me access to them. People like you who turn your back on history aren’t alone, but then again neither are people like me. It’s part of why I’m team Xbox. 

I get it, you prefer to keep paying money for remasters but call me crazy I like to play upgraded games for free. Like I said, people really only talk about BC in the launch period. That’s why Ms is pushing their distinct advantage in this area.  But they still have the power advantage and will showcase it when they see fit. Sony just trying extra hard to prove they arent weak in their own right despite being less powerful. 

I'm part of all gamers though. Only need one to disprove your all statement :p

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

When I read this
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/guide_ps5_backwards_compatibility_-_can_you_play_ps4_games_on_playstation_5_which_playstation_4_games_work_on_ps5_and_does_ps5_play_ps1_ps2_or_ps3_games

I do not get the impression the language is totally different and only a few games will work. You can insert the disk, the game will run. Some games could have compatibility issues. That's what I get from that.

MS always throws out big numbers, yet with XBox One BC they only released a handful BC titles a month. This gen should be a lot easier for BC, no big architecture changes. Both should be fine playing this gens games.

Anyway I'm most excited about this (since it will be a while before psvr 2 hits)

Sony has said that PlayStation VR will be fully backwards compatible with the PS5, meaning that you’ll be able to plug your current headset into the next-gen console and experience virtual reality. As the PlayStation 5 is also backwards compatible with PS4 software, this means that you’ll be able to play PSVR games on the PS5 – regardless of whether you own them digitally or physically.

Hopefully boost mode will make RE7 stick to higher res while running (it switches down to lower res on ps4 pro), or maybe even up the render resolution more. Load screens are also annoying in VR, from SSD that should be vastly reduced.

SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

When I read this
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/guide_ps5_backwards_compatibility_-_can_you_play_ps4_games_on_playstation_5_which_playstation_4_games_work_on_ps5_and_does_ps5_play_ps1_ps2_or_ps3_games

I do not get the impression the language is totally different and only a few games will work. You can insert the disk, the game will run. Some games could have compatibility issues. That's what I get from that.

MS always throws out big numbers, yet with XBox One BC they only released a handful BC titles a month. This gen should be a lot easier for BC, no big architecture changes. Both should be fine playing this gens games.

Anyway I'm most excited about this (since it will be a while before psvr 2 hits)

Sony has said that PlayStation VR will be fully backwards compatible with the PS5, meaning that you’ll be able to plug your current headset into the next-gen console and experience virtual reality. As the PlayStation 5 is also backwards compatible with PS4 software, this means that you’ll be able to play PSVR games on the PS5 – regardless of whether you own them digitally or physically.

Hopefully boost mode will make RE7 stick to higher res while running (it switches down to lower res on ps4 pro), or maybe even up the render resolution more. Load screens are also annoying in VR, from SSD that should be vastly reduced.

If the power difference is well used (perhaps patches for best titles) we could have reall 1080p120fps on PSVR and a very clear image so PSVR2 wouldn't even be needed for the next couple years since the problem of resolution and framerate was due to console not headset.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

If the power difference is well used (perhaps patches for best titles) we could have reall 1080p120fps on PSVR and a very clear image so PSVR2 wouldn't even be needed for the next couple years since the problem of resolution and framerate was due to console not headset.

It probably needs more work though. I found that native 120 fps produced more head movement lag, inducing nausea earlier. I forgot the name, but it was that weird shooter that runs at 120fps (bot on base and pro). You always move forward so you don't notice the extra lag, yet when you turn your head left and right you notice a bigger (albeit still tiny) delay then when the game runs in 60fps and the reprojection adjusts for head movements at 120 fps.

Of course a combination would work best, both just in time reprojection and rendering the game at 120fps. Dunno if a simple boost mode can do that. Dunno, at least NMS shouldn't suffer from slowdown anymore :)

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

It probably needs more work though. I found that native 120 fps produced more head movement lag, inducing nausea earlier. I forgot the name, but it was that weird shooter that runs at 120fps (bot on base and pro). You always move forward so you don't notice the extra lag, yet when you turn your head left and right you notice a bigger (albeit still tiny) delay then when the game runs in 60fps and the reprojection adjusts for head movements at 120 fps.

Of course a combination would work best, both just in time reprojection and rendering the game at 120fps. Dunno if a simple boost mode can do that. Dunno, at least NMS shouldn't suffer from slowdown anymore :)

Understood, didn't know about it, so yes patches will be needed;

SvennoJ said:
sales2099 said:

You can’t use yourself in a survey. Hey look I can do it too! This year alone I played Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Odyssey, Army of Two, Sonic Generations, Earth Defence Force 2017, Grand Theft Auto 5 (campaign), and Banjo Kazooie. Games I missed back in the day and I’m glad I was able to beat them via back catalog/Game Pass. Because Xbox allowed me access to them. People like you who turn your back on history aren’t alone, but then again neither are people like me. It’s part of why I’m team Xbox. 

I'm part of all gamers though. Only need one to disprove your all statement :p

And so am I. Seems we are at an impasse. Unless I say the universal truth that a console with more BC is nicer then a console with less for those who are even remotely interested. Not taking into account other features and platform specific games of course. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.