By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS needs to showcase XSX as well as UE5 showcased PS5

Meh, M$ doesn't need to push graphics that hard. Imo they should focus on performance. Those insane levels of graphical fidelity mainly benefit narrative driven games anyway.

I suppose hellblade 2 and whatever the initiative are working on will be their big graphical showcases, but ultimately most games already look more than "good enough." Most games however don't *play* good enough.

Around the Network

Using a tech demo has the advantage of showcasing fidelity at a much higher scale than a full game, because they only need to maintain it for ~5 minutes of gameplay, instead of 30 hours.

So matching that tech demo with gameplay from a full game may be difficult this year.
But I prefer a less impressive showcase from an actual full game. It still needs to have impact though. So Forza comes to mind as a game they could focus on for that.

Racing games can be very good at showcasing the power of a system.

Last edited by Hiku - on 02 June 2020

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:
Forza is a easy pick for graphical showcase I’m not worried.

It still is frustrating that Sony took credit for that demo...they don’t use UE. The Coalition with Gears 5, Ninja Theory for Hellblade, upcoming games like Inexiles AAA game, Hellblade 2, Obsidians AAA projects. These are games that showcased and will showcase UE in its glory.

Far as I’m concerned the UE5 demo advertised what Series X can do with developers that actually use it (XGS). Perhaps at an even higher frame rate with better lighting. To anyone who may look to report, this isn’t baiting. Sony got the win I just feel it was a dirty move.

That is because Sony thought it would be unfair to show their exclusives before hand because they would look even better than UE5 demo and would put MS in a bad light =p

Lol I’m aware it was a master stroke. Still a dirty move to showcase an engine the competition uses. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Otter said:
sales2099 said:
Forza is a easy pick for graphical showcase I’m not worried.

It still is frustrating that Sony took credit for that demo...they don’t use UE. The Coalition with Gears 5, Ninja Theory for Hellblade, upcoming games like Inexiles AAA game, Hellblade 2, Obsidians AAA projects. These are games that showcased and will showcase UE in its glory.

Far as I’m concerned the UE5 demo advertised what Series X can do with developers that actually use it (XGS). Perhaps at an even higher frame rate with better lighting. To anyone who may look to report, this isn’t baiting. Sony got the win I just feel it was a dirty move.

I'm sorry but this response is hilarious.

OP: MS will have hellblade 2 to show hopefully but based on their cross gen commitment I'm concerned for them that it maybe the only true next gen showcase in July.

Even with the more powerful hardware, PS5 may win the graphics war in the mind of consumers.

Meh, I think the July event and good ol digital foundry will do their jobs. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

If MS keeps focusing on that forward compatibility strategy while Sony takes the gaming experience to the next level thanks to the new capacibilities of the hw, I'm afraid MS will be in a worse spot than it is now in the next few years.

Around the Network
last92 said:
If MS keeps focusing on that forward compatibility strategy while Sony takes the gaming experience to the next level thanks to the new capacibilities of the hw, I'm afraid MS will be in a worse spot than it is now in the next few years.

In the end it’s only temporary. Xbox does have the upper hand long term. Right now it’s more in their interest to take the BC gaming preservation route because Sony has a bad service by comparison. BC is usually a requested feature in the first year until it dies off in the 2nd. We know Xbox is more powerful, MS will show it in due time. 

sales2099 said:

In the end it’s only temporary. Xbox does have the upper hand long term. Right now it’s more in their interest to take the BC gaming preservation route because Sony has a bad service by comparison. BC is usually a requested feature in the first year until it dies off in the 2nd. We know Xbox is more powerful, MS will show it in due time. 

However PS5 will have close to 100% backward compatibility too according to Cerny, it's not like it's a xbox exclusive feature. And I'm not sure early adopters are much interested in backwards compatibility anyway. They're not buying a new console in the first few years to play old games at higher resolutions or frame rates. People that are willing to spend for those things are on pc already. At the end of the day, the console running the most visually impressive and generally better games will win, as always, regardless of native rendering resolution, frame rate and BC.

sales2099 said:
Otter said:

I'm sorry but this response is hilarious.

OP: MS will have hellblade 2 to show hopefully but based on their cross gen commitment I'm concerned for them that it maybe the only true next gen showcase in July.

Even with the more powerful hardware, PS5 may win the graphics war in the mind of consumers.

Meh, I think the July event and good ol digital foundry will do their jobs. 

There is a genuine possibility and likeliness that with cross gen titles there will be no meaningful difference between Xbox Series X/PS5 performance and targets. You only see differences when hardware is being stressed. 

Last edited by Otter - on 02 June 2020

last92 said:
sales2099 said:

However PS5 will have close to 100% backward compatibility too according to Cerny, it's not like it's a xbox exclusive feature. And I'm not sure early adopters are much interested in backwards compatibility anyway. They're not buying a new console in the first few years to play old games at higher resolutions or frame rates. People that are willing to spend for those things are on pc already. At the end of the day, the console running the most visually impressive and generally better games will win, as always, regardless of native rendering resolution, frame rate and BC.

Well it’s Xbox and 360 in addition to Xbox One. BC spanning 3 gens is an exclusive feature that they are and should be pushing. Preservation of ones library and games legacy is something all gamers can get behind. 

There is demand. That ign survey of most requested PS5 features (bc). A lot of twitter comments, it’s not a niche request. People can buy a new console but still want to revisit games or play ones they haven’t got to. It could be the very simple logic that nobody really wants to go through the effort of hooking up a old console when one box can do it all. 

In the end, Xbox does have the power advantage. So Ms will play that card when they see fit. 

It was a tech demo at 1440p and 30fps. I would hope they’d strive for something not just as well with their software, but better.

Of course, better is subjective. It was a pretty generic narrative action adventure game demo, that genre plays well to great graphics at 30fps. Forza 8 at 60fps or more looking great would appeal more to me personally.