By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We will get UE 5 level of graphic on games from PS5 year one (2020 -2021)

Tagged games:

What do you think

Nah we will see it day one 9 23.68%

Yeah agree 11 28.95%

Nah probably another two years 18 47.37%

Water is wet 0 0%

Total:38
Trumpstyle said:

Having watch the UE 5 demo 2 times now, I will say textures and the light effect are the most impressive thing. But it barely beats God of War, I don't see what special here. We are really seeing diminish returns in graphics, ever since Crysis 3 we have just seen small improvements in graphics. God of war and Star wars Battlefront 1 being the most impressive games this gen.

If next-gen will look like something we just saw in UE 5 demo or CGI-quality screenshots (second screenshot looks even worse than current-gen) we are in for a disappointment.

Edit: Hmm taking another look at CGI-quality screenshots, the first 3 screenshot just don't look good. The last two I think looks pretty good.

This post is as reliable and true as your leaks.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

Having watch the UE 5 demo 2 times now, I will say textures and the light effect are the most impressive thing. But it barely beats God of War, I don't see what special here. We are really seeing diminish returns in graphics, ever since Crysis 3 we have just seen small improvements in graphics. God of war and Star wars Battlefront 1 being the most impressive games this gen.

If next-gen will look like something we just saw in UE 5 demo or CGI-quality screenshots (second screenshot looks even worse than current-gen) we are in for a disappointment.

Edit: Hmm taking another look at CGI-quality screenshots, the first 3 screenshot just don't look good. The last two I think looks pretty good.

I don't think screen shots do the tech demo justice, and I guess it all depends on your expectations of what next gen graphics should look like. Some say, native 4k and 120fps, but what Sony has shown has a lot more to do with boosting assets variation and removing bottle necks that'll make for a dramatic leap in level/ world design and how you can move around in them. Something like that will have a much bigger impact on immersion than just some new effects and a boost in fps/ resolution.

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

As for the second screenshot, I just can't see what you find impressive there.

Look at the animal, there's no detail, the entire animal look fuzzy, same for the background mountains and trees. It have the same problems as first screenshot, nearby tree has flat leafs, the bush in down-right corner the leafs also look flat. The character skin just don't look good, it reminds me of horizon zero down characters, it has same kind of dollish/plastic look to it. Even the last of us remaster beats it.

Same for the hair, the shadows at the hair make it not look detailed.

Look how they make the skin look natural in the last of remaster and god of war.

Hmmm... let's see.

"Fuzzy Animal"...

Yes. It has actual fur, not just a plane with a flat texture applied to it (or NVIDIA Hairworks either). It is complete geometry that won't require an ON/OFF switch. 

Call me crazy, but I just don't see the 'plastic'. I see perspiration (appropriate for a character in her situation), deforming of the elbows, hands, and torso, raytraced reflections of the eyes and skin, geometrical vellus hairs on the arms and abdomen, and a few other features most current gen characters lack (yes, I know Drake, Kratos, and TLOU: Pt II are top tier, but no quite on this level and most current gen characters aren't even close). It's not just the graphical look but the tech that went in. Current gen couldn't replicate it this way. This will be more of a standard in Gen 9.

The rest? I won't bother. You think Crysis 3 actually looks as good as Battlefront II.  

I don't know if I did this correctly but this is how that fuzzy animal looked when I zoomed in:

For Crysis 3, I recommend everybody to play it on 1440p, 2-4x SMAA on either high/or max graphics. It looks much better than you expect.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Otter said:
dane007 said:

Why not. There have been native 4k games on big titles on xbox one x. Next gen consoles are more powerful so native 4k should be easily done :). We don't need 1080p games next gen. 

What looks betters, Halo 5 running at 4k on Xbox One X or the Unreal Engine 5 demo running at 1440p on PS5? ;)

There you have your answer. Xbox One X runs an Xbox One games at 4k, but it wouldn't be able to produce the PS5 tech demo. Ultimately developers have to choose where they put the consoles power. Without direct comparison, most people wouldn't be able to tell with the naked eye whether they're looking at a (Good) upscaled 4k (from 1440p) or a native 4k. Especially if we're talking about TVs and not computer moniters.

We will for sure see plenty of native 4k PS5/Xbox One games, but they won't be the most graphically impressive. Once the gen hits its stride I think we will see 1440(PS5) 1800p (XSX) as common targets. As upscalling gets better I'm sure more devs will more boldly go to 1080p to achieve stunning next gen visuals at 60fps.

I wouldn't use halo 5 as an amazing lookjng game lol. I would have use games such as red dead redemption which was native 4k and that game had stunning visuals. There was gears if war 5 which was native 4k and 60fps on xbox one x.. That game was quite stunning for current gen. Then you have far cry series that is native 4k on xbox one x. That game too looks amazing at 4k.  If those games can be achieved on current gen with stunning visuals and at 4k, then i dont see why either next gen consoles can't do it with alot more power. I dont think we will ever see 1080p games next gen unless its one of the indie developers. 

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

That was a fast respond.

I'm not a graphic expert, if we look at first screenshot the background mountains and trees don't look detailed, they look fuzzy. The grass just looks okey, the character also just looks okey. The leafs on the nearby tree, we can still see they look flat. That was my impression looking at it.

Character...

What about her could be improved? Low poly? SSS? What current gen characters beat her? Why? What details?

I'll get to the environment after, given that isn't mine specifically, but the character is, so I'm curious. Trust, the answers matter.

I know you are not asking me, but I would make her boobs bigger. 😁

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

I hope so because I was hardly impressed with the demo and screenshots. I wish more developers would drop UE and go back to creating their own in-house engines just because I seem to not really enjoy many UE games. I'd rather games cycles take two extra years and deliver better and more diverse products with unique animation systems. Of course I don't want game development to take longer, but that would be the obvious trade off. I am more interested in consistent frame rates or loading times than the small bump in graphics. One thing that could make it easier for graphics to improve quickly is that people can import games from UE 4 so they could just adjust textures and such after the import. Not that simple I'm sure, but at least it will save a lot of the work.

Last edited by FormerlyTeamSilent13 - on 28 May 2020

we talking PS exclusives here, than yeah, first year we are going to have things above UE5 demo.

dane007 said:
Otter said:

What looks betters, Halo 5 running at 4k on Xbox One X or the Unreal Engine 5 demo running at 1440p on PS5? ;)

There you have your answer. Xbox One X runs an Xbox One games at 4k, but it wouldn't be able to produce the PS5 tech demo. Ultimately developers have to choose where they put the consoles power. Without direct comparison, most people wouldn't be able to tell with the naked eye whether they're looking at a (Good) upscaled 4k (from 1440p) or a native 4k. Especially if we're talking about TVs and not computer moniters.

We will for sure see plenty of native 4k PS5/Xbox One games, but they won't be the most graphically impressive. Once the gen hits its stride I think we will see 1440(PS5) 1800p (XSX) as common targets. As upscalling gets better I'm sure more devs will more boldly go to 1080p to achieve stunning next gen visuals at 60fps.

I wouldn't use halo 5 as an amazing lookjng game lol. I would have use games such as red dead redemption which was native 4k and that game had stunning visuals. There was gears if war 5 which was native 4k and 60fps on xbox one x.. That game was quite stunning for current gen. Then you have far cry series that is native 4k on xbox one x. That game too looks amazing at 4k.  If those games can be achieved on current gen with stunning visuals and at 4k, then i dont see why either next gen consoles can't do it with alot more power. I dont think we will ever see 1080p games next gen unless its one of the indie developers. 

So you think the detail in Red Dead Redemption 2 or Gears is comparable to that UE5 demo? 

Otter said:
dane007 said:

So you think the detail in Red Dead Redemption 2 or Gears is comparable to that UE5 demo? 

My comment was in reference to otter saying that next gen wont be doing native 4k games. Was pointing out that current gen games are already doing native with amazing visuals. Hence why i provided examples that have stunning graphics with 4k res :). So if current gen can do it, then why not next gen. 

The amount of detail they put into the rdr2  game based on current gen hardware is impressive. There was alot detail work put into it.  For me the demo was good but it didnt stun me as the world they showed was quite empty and there wasnt much happening in the background. Cant wait to see proper games using the tech. 

Trumpstyle said:
CGI-Quality said:

Hmmm... let's see.

"Fuzzy Animal"...

Yes. It has actual fur, not just a plane with a flat texture applied to it (or NVIDIA Hairworks either). It is complete geometry that won't require an ON/OFF switch. 

Call me crazy, but I just don't see the 'plastic'. I see perspiration (appropriate for a character in her situation), deforming of the elbows, hands, and torso, raytraced reflections of the eyes and skin, geometrical vellus hairs on the arms and abdomen, and a few other features most current gen characters lack (yes, I know Drake, Kratos, and TLOU: Pt II are top tier, but no quite on this level and most current gen characters aren't even close). It's not just the graphical look but the tech that went in. Current gen couldn't replicate it this way. This will be more of a standard in Gen 9.

The rest? I won't bother. You think Crysis 3 actually looks as good as Battlefront II.  

I don't know if I did this correctly but this is how that fuzzy animal looked when I zoomed in:

For Crysis 3, I recommend everybody to play it on 1440p, 2-4x SMAA on either high/or max graphics. It looks much better than you expect.

So you zoomed in a far from the plane of view to say it is blurry? You do know that the farther from the player something is the lower details it will be draw to save on memory and processing power right?

And on your recommendation to @CGI-Quality he probably run the game on 4k ultra and with mods to improve the graphic.

The same way you were talking out of your league on HW with @Pemalite you are out of your league on rendering, model, IQ, etc with CGI.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."