By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We will get UE 5 level of graphic on games from PS5 year one (2020 -2021)

Tagged games:

What do you think

Nah we will see it day one 9 23.68%

Yeah agree 11 28.95%

Nah probably another two years 18 47.37%

Water is wet 0 0%

Total:38
CGI-Quality said:

Just because she became a bit of a topic in here, I figured I'd give a little background and compare/contrast to developers who's characters either are (such is the case with The Last Of US Pt. II) or will incorporate faces that are not just graphically advanced, but capture a true-to-life face and skin-grafting body textures. 

Now, in real life, skin grafting, a type of graft surgery, involves the transplantation of skin. This is usually how doctors treat burn victims. However, some in the 3D art world use that term when they mention how they come up with their skins for a character (it is essentially photogrammetry of the skin). 

With Ithr (my created character), I skin-graft the body textures, so she would look natural, while still keeping some of the 'style' that I was aiming for.

Latest version (not seen in any of the above images/scenes)...

This is important because to get faces that look more natural, a lot the techniques I use are used by some of today's to developers. Many of the NPCs and Ellie use them, and if you look closely at any of the new footage (I take the liberty of only looking at one gif in particular - no spoilers for me :P), it is evident. What I have above may look like some pre-rendered character that'd never make it into a game, but in reality, she is rendered using game engines of today. Next generation character models should be as smooth, as detailed, and as 'full' as Ithr (*note, the sword still sues raytracing, but the other one was an early prototype for the final and only designed to show extreme reflections — so no 'downgrade' there :P).

The idea that characters will take on a more 'CG' look is very true for next gen. That is why I some of the pre-release doubt about characters like Senua will prove to be a little too cautious. She will very much look like that, and while techniques can always be turned up a notch in a scene not designed for player interaction, the visual makeup will pretty much be 1:1.

*Note: this one rendered in 8K for better viewing purposes, so it may take a while to load

Another thing that will be apparent within the next gen family is just how much softer skin will look. In the past, characters looked overly sharp and too processed (and that was generally down to hardware restrictions and older techniques from the artists). Next gen will see a huge reduction of this and characters will look much more realistic (as we naturally progress that way with such significant gains in hardware).

Finer, up close details will also see an upgrade. In the past, when you got fairly close to a character, the 'flatness' was immediately noticeable. Next gen should see this almost eradicated altogether. I'm sure we'll still see a few games here or there with this issue, but games that are sincerely taking advantage of the better tech will really show this advancement.

People tend to forget Project: MARA → probably my most anticipated thing of next gen (I love when games are mysterious like this, as Heavy Rain was in the beginning). Hopefully, they truly release it and not just use it as an experiment (ala Kara). For Xbox Series X/PC...

(yes, that is what she'll look like)

Also, muscle deformation. I know people have heard me speak about this before, but I'm reiterating. This will be a serious part of next gen. Yes, The Last Of US Pt II display it in all of its glory, but outside of that and, perhaps, God of War, most games didn't head this route. Next gen machines will allow this with ease, so Ithr's body definition isn't pushed for 'pretty effect', rather, shows what can be accomplished in a more general sense. Plus, those up close body hairs (vellus), I again reiterate, will be in full display (Senua does as good of a job at showing this as Ithr). All stranded-based, real geometry.

And speaking of hair (one of these is an upgraded pic from earlier in the thread)...

I decided on a dreadlock style for Ithr because, A. it is much more complex, and B. appropriate for her setting. But, the point is, fibermesh has been long overdue for game characters. Hair often still looks flat, unresponsive to light, and just very unrealistic. Yes, this will see some incredible gains next gen thanks to have the memory and graphical might to finally appreciate how complex hair is. 

Again, think:

In all, hopefully I've given you a better idea of where things are headed. It never gets old helping/teaching people less tech savvy about this stuff, so don't worry about asking questions/presenting criticisms., even if they are plastically wrong.

This shot from Senua looks fantastic. And I'm also looking forward to Project Mara.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
-snip-

New model looks great.

I hope more effort is put into hair physics as well (for long hair) as well.

CGI-Quality said:

Much of the raytracing you will get next gen will be subtle, but just enough to make a big difference. 

Here, reflections and shadows are raytraced. The latter using soft shadowing to aid with a dimly lit scene, offering a much better quality of shadows than previous gens and an appropriate amount of light given then makeup.

Then there's skin/environment blending. What is that? It is when the character's skin blends in better with its surroundings (unlike previous gens when the character and environment where clearly disconnected due to a lack of this feature). 

All-in-all, I've shown what I can. Come back and visit things I've said on June 4th. :)

With this model i want to make some hentai games LOL 

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 29 May 2020

CGI-Quality said:

Much of the raytracing you will get next gen will be subtle, but just enough to make a big difference. 

Here, reflections and shadows are raytraced. The latter using soft shadowing to aid with a dimly lit scene, offering a much better quality of shadows than previous gens and an appropriate amount of light given then makeup.

Then there's skin/environment blending. What is that? It is when the character's skin blends in better with its surroundings (unlike previous gens when the character and environment where clearly disconnected due to a lack of this feature). 

All-in-all, I've shown what I can. Come back and visit things I've said on June 4th. :)

Loved the lake it really ressembles natural reflection.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."