By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We will get UE 5 level of graphic on games from PS5 year one (2020 -2021)

Tagged games:

What do you think

Nah we will see it day one 9 23.68%

Yeah agree 11 28.95%

Nah probably another two years 18 47.37%

Water is wet 0 0%

Total:38
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

Tbh it was disappointing the demo ran at 30. 60 would have been ideal and if a tech demo can’t pull that off the future didn’t seem so impressive. 

Nah.

lol it’s subjective. 30fps is too low imo given the pacing. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
chakkra said:
CGI-Quality said:

Nah.

Well, to be fair that demo featured only one girl walking in a cave. If they had had 10 more characters on screen shooting explosives at her, while she used some psychic powers on them ala Control, I'm inclined to think that would have made the demo more complex, and therefore more representative of what is actually going to be on a game using that engine. Not to mention the fact that they did not use any foliage or reflective surfaces whatsoever.

Things aren't that simple. There are plenty of moments in the likes of uncharted where its just Drake in an environment with no foliage and no enemies and the game doesn't suddenly jump to 60fps. Would make zero sense to have a 60fps presentation in the demo and for it to drop like a rock when the characters flies through the massively open world with crumpling debris everywhere. That moment and the stability of the 30 FPS should tell you everything that you need to know.

The only logical thing to do with that demo is to compare it like for like with similar moments we've played in games this gen.

I mean not the best quality screen shots but you get the picture. Its a night and day difference, and again the stability shown in the busier sections show that there is definitely room for more to be happening on screen.

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

lol it’s subjective. 30fps is too low imo given the pacing. 

The quote had nothing to do with 30fps. :)

In that case I’m sure graphics will match the demo if we all ready making sacrifices. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Having watch the UE 5 demo 2 times now, I will say textures and the light effect are the most impressive thing. But it barely beats God of War, I don't see what special here. We are really seeing diminish returns in graphics, ever since Crysis 3 we have just seen small improvements in graphics. God of war and Star wars Battlefront 1 being the most impressive games this gen.

If next-gen will look like something we just saw in UE 5 demo or CGI-quality screenshots (second screenshot looks even worse than current-gen) we are in for a disappointment.

Edit: Hmm taking another look at CGI-quality screenshots, the first 3 screenshot just don't look good. The last two I think looks pretty good.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 28 May 2020

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

You wont. U will see some truly next gen games like what we got with ryse and killzone. It will be closer yo half way till see thise benefits from the new ue5 engine

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

Having watch the UE 5 demo 2 times now, I will say textures and the light effect are the most impressive thing. But it barely beats God of War, I don't see what special here. We are really seeing diminish returns in graphics, ever since Crysis 3 we have just seen small improvements in graphics. God of war and Star wars Battlefront 1 being the most impressive games this gen.

If next-gen will look like something we just saw in UE 5 demo or CGI-quality screenshots (second screenshot looks even worse than current-gen) we are in for a disappointment.

Edit: Hmm taking another look at CGI-quality screenshots, the first 3 screenshot just don't look good. The last two I think looks pretty good.

Fair enough. What's wrong with them?

That was a fast respond.

I'm not a graphic expert, if we look at first screenshot the background mountains and trees don't look detailed, they look fuzzy. The grass just looks okey, the character also just looks okey. The leafs on the nearby tree, we can still see they look flat. That was my impression looking at it.

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

Machiavellian said:

It seems some people miss the title of what the OP asked. Will we see a release game in the PS5 first year on the same level as the UE5 demo. I have no doubt we will see Sony first party studios surpass that demo but in the first year of the console release well, I just doubt it. We will probably see some hype trailers but will we see release dates within the year of the console release, this is what I am doubting.

For the UE5 demo, thinking about it, it took 6 months to create and it really has nothing in it. What I mean by that its not a fully developed game but basically a walking simulator. I would be surprised if we see anything on that order within the first year unless its some very basic type of game. A fighting game comes to mind but nothing on the order of Horizon 2 but I am willing to be surprised.

It's not that there was nothing in that demo. It showed a whole game world and the foundations for an actual game. Obviously there were no enemies or actual gameplay mechanics but building that with just 24 people in 6 months time, is pretty impressive, especially considering Sony's first party studios generally have between 200 and 400 staff. 

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

That was a fast respond.

I'm not a graphic expert, if we look at first screenshot the background mountains and trees don't look detailed, they look fuzzy. The grass just looks okey, the character also just looks okey. The leafs on the nearby tree, we can still see they look flat. That was my impression looking at it.

Character...

pic

What about her could be improved? Low poly? SSS? What current gen characters beat her? Why? What details?

I'll get to the environment after, given that isn't mine specifically, but the character is, so I'm curious. Trust, the answers matter.

Hmm I just wanted to give my opinion about this thread, as for the character I think she looks okey. But it just have too much artificial look, it just doesn't look real. You should play god of war, look at first interaction between kratos and Baldur, those characters just look so natural. Haven't seen anything beating them.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 28 May 2020

I think we'll know the answer in less than a week

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

Hmm I just wanted to give my opinion about this thread, as for the character I think she looks okey. But it just have too much artificial look, it just doesn't look real. You should play god of war, look at first interaction between kratos and Baldur, those characters just look so natural. Haven't seen anything beating them.

I've played and beaten God of War. Excellent models, don't look real. And there in lies one of the issues — people think devs are chasing "real". They are not. Yes, visuals are naturally progressing to a more realistic state, but most of them are not aiming for real. You said "the second screenshot looks worse than current gen", but then didn't really provide specifics, telling me you're looking for real rather than any practical advancements (which is weird, given you think Crysis 3 is actually as good as the best from this gen). 

Also, you mention interaction. Can't get much of that from a screenshot :P

As for the second screenshot, I just can't see what you find impressive there.

Look at the animal, there's no detail, the entire animal look fuzzy, same for the background mountains and trees. It have the same problems as first screenshot, nearby tree has flat leafs, the bush in down-right corner the leafs also look flat. The character skin just don't look good, it reminds me of horizon zero down characters, it has same kind of dollish/plastic look to it. Even the last of us remaster beats it.

Same for the hair, the shadows at the hair make it not look detailed.

Look how they make the skin look natural in the last of remaster and god of war.