By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

I am totally stranger to this series. Is it like a spin off or a main episode ? I am just surprised that they drop it in a trailer and not keeping it for an announcement in a direct.

Around the Network

i cannot wait or this game. I just hope it is long, fun and with lots of replay values.

Switch!!!

Amnesia said:
I am totally stranger to this series. Is it like a spin off or a main episode ? I am just surprised that they drop it in a trailer and not keeping it for an announcement in a direct.

The Paper Mario series only has main games. There was one crossover with Mario & Luigi, but that's a Mario & Luigi game. 

Here's how the Paper Mario series stands.

Classic/RPG: Paper Mario, PM: The Thousand-Year Door

Super Paper Mario

New Style: PM: Sticker Star, PM: Color Splash

PM: Origami King

I separated Origami King because it so far seems to have differences from Sticker Star and Color Splash, but does not seem to be like the original two games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 14 May 2020

This game looks great. The beginning is creepy and cult-like, and the rest of it looks equally charming. I haven't played a Paper Mario before though so maybe I wouldn't like this is I was already a fan per se. But looks really neat either way.

Also, Nintendo has such big dick energy releasing a title like this only 2 months after it's announcement

Around the Network

Hmm, I'm on the fence. Not fully convinced yet. However, I appreciate the announcement two months before relase instead of 5-12 years in advance.

Odd timing, and I would say any game announced a few months before they comes out are usually not the best. Given covid-19 I will trust Nintendo on this one. I enjoyed Color Splash more than most, so I am excited to play this one as well. Between Bug Fables later this month and Paper Mario in July it will be great to get a few games in the same vein in such a short period of time.

Looks good. Not quite sure of the battle mechanics yet, but am excited to play it.

Looks great will be my first Paper Mario since Super Paper Mario

Moren said:
Hard pass.

This is the same design philosophy from the past two games, only with a shiny new coat of paint.

Could be worse. They could go back to the Super Paper Mario formula... *shivers*