By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

newwil7l said:
KLXVER said:

Could be worse. They could go back to the Super Paper Mario formula... *shivers*

As flawed as SPM was it was still significantly better than SS and CS.

I disagree. SPM had no turn based combat and just felt like a way worse Mario platformer.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

We got tweets about Nintendo's Q&A with investors last week. The English transcript should go up on Nintendo's corporate website within the next seven ways. One thing that Nintendo said is that their forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2021 assumes that all games can be launched as planned, so the current state of things is that all games are on schedule. That's why I am not surprised that we are getting a July game.

That is fantastic news! Maybe well get Odyssey 2 or BotW2 this year after all? 

Looks like Tearaway....
https://www.nintendo-insider.com/miyamoto-caught-playing-media-molecules-tearaway/amp/

I feel I must defend Paper Mario 2. Fun story (best in the series after TTYD) and unique gameplay that blended exploration with classic Mario platforming. It didn't always work perfectly, but that's what happens when you try out new ideas, and for the most part it worked.

BOLLOCKS said:
Looks like Tearaway....
https://www.nintendo-insider.com/miyamoto-caught-playing-media-molecules-tearaway/amp/

Well hopefully it wont be as boring as that. Only played the PS4 version though. Heard the Vita one was way better.

Around the Network

The only two PM games I played before were Super Paper Mario and Color Splash, and I enjoyed both immensely. This looks like a great time too!

Very excited. I am just confused why they didn't show this in the last direct. Depending on how this goes, do you think this could mean the end of Directs in general?

1doesnotsimply

Only played Color Splash, I really enjoyed it.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:
I feel I must defend Paper Mario 2. Fun story (best in the series after TTYD) and unique gameplay that blended exploration with classic Mario platforming. It didn't always work perfectly, but that's what happens when you try out new ideas, and for the most part it worked.

What do you mean by Paper Mario 2?

I meant super Paper Mario.  Dunno why I ended up typing it that way.  

SpokenTruth said:
The Metroid segment at the end has me thinking 3 things.

1. A teaser for an upcoming Metroid Prime 4 announcement.
2. "Is he....battling something?" Perhaps a Paper Mario addition to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
3. I see a Goomba and Donkey Kong paper-mache heads on the shelf along with the Samus suit helmet. Might suggest unlockable partners or skins for Paper Mario: Origami King.

This kind of reminds me of when Reggie would like wear an Earthbound pin and people would be like OMGZ MOTHER 3 LOCALIZATION CONFIRMED!

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

Yeah hopefully this puts to bed people's worries that Nintendo just wasn't gonna release any games the rest of the year. If they didn't have a Fall / holiday lineup then this would have gotten pushed back there to fill the gap. So now we know they'll have good stuff lined up this Fall.

And omg you haven't played Super Mario RPG? It's a million times better than any paper mario game. Paper Mario is actual shit compared to Mario RPG. You're gonna love it!