By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

NightlyPoe said:

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I recall that being the rumor when we heard there would be no Nintendo E3 Direct.  We didn't really talk about it because no one made a thread I think, but let me just go ahead and call complete bull on the notion that a company that just reported $3.3 billion in operating profit can't put together a decent internet video within 45 days because they have employees working from home.

Why not this isn't exactly like a standard office job as you don't want people taking development tools and media home where it can easily by access by outside parties especially a company as secretive as Nintendo so making any media likely involves people having to go into work and not all studios are in the same location either. The trailer shown was likely put together by few people from the team behind it making commutes to the office and back which is likely what they're doing with other trailers at this point.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Love it!! Glad Nintendo surprised us instead of leakers ruining it

It was actually leaked earlier this year that they had a Paper Mario game coming soon, you just (luckily) must have missed it. ;)

At any rate, while I'm not into Paper Mario, it's very reassuring to see that Nintendo have a significant new game to kick off the second half of the year, hopefully this is a sign they can keep the rest of 2020 reasonably supplied with games in spite of everything.

curl-6 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Love it!! Glad Nintendo surprised us instead of leakers ruining it

It was actually leaked earlier this year that they had a Paper Mario game coming soon, you just (luckily) must have missed it. ;)

At any rate, while I'm not into Paper Mario, it's very reassuring to see that Nintendo have a significant new game to kick off the second half of the year, hopefully this is a sign they can keep the rest of 2020 reasonably supplied with games in spite of everything.

That was a rumour not an actual leak so it was subject to whether it was fake or not.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

That was a rumour not an actual leak so it was subject to whether it was fake or not.

Same thing really; when a source leaks something, as happened with Paper Mario, it gets labelled a "rumor" until substantiated.

Wman1996 said:
Amnesia said:
I am totally stranger to this series. Is it like a spin off or a main episode ? I am just surprised that they drop it in a trailer and not keeping it for an announcement in a direct.

The Paper Mario series only has main games. There was one crossover with Mario & Luigi, but that's a Mario & Luigi game. 

Here's how the Paper Mario series stands.

Classic/RPG: Paper Mario, PM: The Thousand-Year Door

Super Paper Mario

New Style: PM: Sticker Star, PM: Color Splash

PM: Origami King

I separated Origami King because it so far seems to have differences from Sticker Star and Color Splash, but does not seem to be like the original two games.

Yeah, to me it looks more like they took the world and combat design from the first two games and the exploration from Super Paper Mario (and the origami that seems to follow Mario around reminds me of Tippi), and bring back the combat compagnons from those games, and give the whole thing an art style a bit more reminiscent of Color Splash.

JWeinCom said:
I feel I must defend Paper Mario 2. Fun story (best in the series after TTYD) and unique gameplay that blended exploration with classic Mario platforming. It didn't always work perfectly, but that's what happens when you try out new ideas, and for the most part it worked.

If you meant Super Paper Mario by that, I have to agree. I missed TTYD, but I actually find SPM superior to the first title in the series on the N64.

SpokenTruth said:
The Metroid segment at the end has me thinking 3 things.

1. A teaser for an upcoming Metroid Prime 4 announcement.
2. "Is he....battling something?" Perhaps a Paper Mario addition to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
3. I see a Goomba and Donkey Kong paper-mache heads on the shelf along with the Samus suit helmet. Might suggest unlockable partners or skins for Paper Mario: Origami King.

I was thinking that those could be more like Minigames that Mario could play when he's wearing those helmets. Like Origami versions of those games.

On the other hand, it could also simply work like the Goomba Hat in the Mario titles, where it makes you pass enemies as they don't recognize you as a foe anymore.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 14 May 2020

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

Yeah hopefully this puts to bed people's worries that Nintendo just wasn't gonna release any games the rest of the year. If they didn't have a Fall / holiday lineup then this would have gotten pushed back there to fill the gap. So now we know they'll have good stuff lined up this Fall.

And omg you haven't played Super Mario RPG? It's a million times better than any paper mario game. Paper Mario is actual shit compared to Mario RPG. You're gonna love it!

Yeah, that is what I expected would happen until I saw this trailer had dropped.  I thought any potential summer releases would be pushed back until fall and just let Animal Crossing do all the heavy lifting in the summer.  But this trailer shows they have summer games.  Awesome!  They've still got a full slate of games for the year.

Also, yeah I've heard good things about Super Mario RPG, especially since Squaresoft was involved in their prime.  This pandemic has really given me a chance to make a serious dent into my backlog.  I finished several Switch games first.  Then I went and finished Phantasy Star 4, and I'm on Shining Force 2 right now.  Since I'm already in the 16-bit era of RPGs, Super Mario RPG seems like a good next choice.  It will also give me a chance to see if it has aged well or not.  I've often heard people compare Final Fantasy 6 and Phantasy Star 4.  I only finished FF6 a few years ago, but it was awesome.  It aged far better than PS4.  On the other hand I'm really loving Shining Force 2 right now.  It has also aged well.  I hope Super Mario RPG has aged well too.

BOLLOCKS said:
Looks like Tearaway....
https://www.nintendo-insider.com/miyamoto-caught-playing-media-molecules-tearaway/amp/

No one remembers Tearaway. Except me, of course. Gorgeous game. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Looks really promising.

Outside the very basic character design for the enemies and the like compared to the first games, if they at least can pull a good characterization with them, is a step in the right direction. Mario teaming up with baddies, that at least writing wise, is going to be extremely fun. Also an original plot again.

Also hope they can outdo Color Splash's music, because god damn, what a glorious soundtrack that was.

The whole trailer just screams, adventure.

I'm excited.

NightlyPoe said:
Oh, and I forgot to comment on the game. Looks okay, but I don't trust the current development team at all. The fast turnaround from the last game (only about 3.5 years) doesn't help either. If the game gets hype, then I'll look into it. Until then, I'll probably still be playing Xenoblade in July.

3.5 years isn't that fast for a game of this type. It's not like it's a complex and ambitious AAA affair. Not everything needs a 4-5 year cycle. Heck, Xenoblade 2 had a 2.5 year turnaround from the last game.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Odd timing, and I would say any game announced a few months before they comes out are usually not the best. Given covid-19 I will trust Nintendo on this one. I enjoyed Color Splash more than most, so I am excited to play this one as well. Between Bug Fables later this month and Paper Mario in July it will be great to get a few games in the same vein in such a short period of time.

unlike other companies, nintendo usually tends to announce their longer projects (mainline FE,mainline zelda, mainline mario, mainline xenoblande, mainline metroid, ect )closer to realese then other companies.

usually its around 6 months before realese, but givin current circumstances and that this seems to be what would have been a available now type thing for e3,....