By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

Story looks interesting, visuals look great. And there are characters besides random toads which is always nice. Need to see what's going on with the battle system before I can be properly excited.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

I love that game.  I hope it still holds up for you.  I think it has aged pretty well, but I played it when it first came out, so I'm probably not the best judge of that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Not touched one of these games since the one on Gamecube. Looks pretty but where are all the interesting new characters? This series can get a billion entries but still no Super Mario RPG 2? GAH!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nice, but will we get Super Mario All Stars 2 or not?

At the very least the story is returning to form of the traditional Paper Mario games what with Peach looking like the antagonist and Bowser an ally.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Moren said:
Hard pass.

This is the same design philosophy from the past two games, only with a shiny new coat of paint.

Could be worse. They could go back to the Super Paper Mario formula... *shivers*

As flawed as SPM was it was still significantly better than SS and CS.

Baddman said:
Looks great will be my first Paper Mario since Super Paper Mario

Same.

Well, this came out of nowhere!
A Paper Mario title wasn’t listed under their upcoming titles for the this fiscal year, was it?
Makes me wonder what else they must be hiding.

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I love this reveal for so many reasons.  First, I find the origami angle to be hilarious.  It's paper, but "Now in 3d"!  LOL.  I also love how Nintendo can just unveil their second biggest game of the year so far without a direct or anything.  Like a boss.

Most importantly this all gives the impression that they have plenty more games coming this year.  I didn't think I would see any new releases this summer, especially not first party physical releases.  I figured we'd get a direct in a few months and nothing until that time.  Nope.  Nintendo is just going to drop this game on us 2 months ahead of time, because they have way more other stuff to put into their next direct.  That's awesome.

Funny thing is I still haven't played Super Mario RPG.  Time to dust off the old SNES mini and give it a play first.

We got tweets about Nintendo's Q&A with investors last week. The English transcript should go up on Nintendo's corporate website within the next seven ways. One thing that Nintendo said is that their forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2021 assumes that all games can be launched as planned, so the current state of things is that all games are on schedule. That's why I am not surprised that we are getting a July game.

Now for my personal interpretation of what has been happening: What has not been going according to Nintendo's plan is that E3 got cancelled and that home office work made it harder for them to put together a Direct of the usual E3 Direct quality. The Direct in March covered everything up until the week before E3 (51 Worldwide Games releases on June 5th), then the E3 Direct was supposed to cover the rest of 2020. That Direct isn't happening though, so Nintendo will likely roll out the minor announcements in non-Direct fashion over the coming weeks, Paper Mario being the first one because it's the game closest to release. Cancelled Direct doesn't mean cancelled or postponed games, Twitter announcements don't mean that the next proper Direct will be super-stuffed.

Didn't know that (referring to bold).  I look forward to seeing the transcript. 

The beginning of Bowsette? O_o

Ha anyway this looks pretty great. Looks like something of a return to form in terms of the depth of Thousand Year Door. To be honest, while I'm a major Mario fans I was never huge on Paper Mario - only ever playing some of Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. The main reason being the abundance of largely mundane text to read. But if they dial that back somewhat, then I'm in. At least the story looks interesting, with the darker tinge and cultist Peach and whatnot..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden