By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal 5 Demo vs Series X Reveal

Which event got you more impressed?

Xbox Series X Gameplay Event 25 27.17%

Unreal Engine 5 PS5 Demo 67 72.83%

Total:92

Well, we didn't see anything yet pushing XSX or PS5. But yes, I agree the Demo running on PS5 was very impressive, and more impressive than anything showed for XSX so far. It's too early to make any judgement, as the interesting stuff has yet to come for both. Probably around July we will have a better idea.

I'm very curious about Halo Infinite and the brand new 343 Slipspace engine. Developers put insane effort on it and it appears they are trying to deliver a fantastic experience on XSX even though the Game will run on XBox One as well, thanks to extremely well done scalability on many departments.

About PS5, I can't wait to see what Sony are preparing for us, it will be mindblowing.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Machiavellian said:

You really cannot compare an E3 event to a streamed small event like MS showed we need some context.  Neither Sony or MS has showed their hand so can we not act like that small streamed event was the only thing they will be doing for this year.

The fact is, you are comparing a tech demo to a game showing and trying to find meaning.  The meaning is that one is a ways off from realization and the other is around the corner.

I will give you this, MS should know by now how gamers are.  If you are not blowing their minds then you are garbage.  There usually no middle ground and they should just follow Sony play book.  Show them trailers of stuff years off from completion to get the wow factor going even if those games may never see daylight.  What was that capcom dragon game that never came out and was exclusive to the PS4.

True, if MS wanted to wow people and get them excited for next gen, they should have followed Sony's playbook. The only thing is that they've been pretty clear about their strategy and don't want to be in another platform war with Sony. MS's strategy is a lot more about building GP subscribers through a ton of different devices (including the Xone) as their end game is reaching billions of mobile gamers through Cloud gaming. It's a very ambitious strategy that does make total sense from a business standpoint for MS. However, it will also be a marketing nightmare for selling a next gen console. 

In the end, both companies pretty much showed what they promised. Sony will be pushing next gen graphics and want people to migrate asap, while MS was being more consumer friendly and showed a bunch of smaller GP titles that won't require people to upgrade. I got a feeling we'll be seeing the same thing in July for their 1st party games, except that they'll have some bigger franchises like Halo and Forza with an "optimized for Series X" logo.

I have to disagree with the last paragraph, Sony has not shown us anything on their strategy for next gen graphics since this was a UE5 demo not a Sony demo.  We still need to see what games Sony will launch with for the PS5 before any claims can be made about their next gen plans.  If Sony only shows games in production that are 2 years out that will be pumping out next gen graphic then nothing really change between either vendor because that would be the expectations from both MS and Sony.

KratosLives said:
According to the guy at unreal engine, it was running at 1440p and 30fps, near the gpu max on ps5. Can you make a game of this scale with alot of onscreen action, multiple npc and particle effects? I guess with this engine we can forget about getting games looking like this running at 60fps. maybe if they drop the 8k textures to 4k. Or with more console optimisations. I wonder if mesh shading/variable rate shading works with this tech.

I think you are forgetting we are talking about Sony :)  And this demo was done 7 months before PS5 release.  Wait untill Santa Monica, GG, etc push PS5 to its limit and you will quote yourself again on this :D

You are not ready to see what XSX and PS5 can do if fully maxed out, righ now; but like any new generation, we will need some time.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
KratosLives said:
According to the guy at unreal engine, it was running at 1440p and 30fps, near the gpu max on ps5. Can you make a game of this scale with alot of onscreen action, multiple npc and particle effects? I guess with this engine we can forget about getting games looking like this running at 60fps. maybe if they drop the 8k textures to 4k. Or with more console optimisations. I wonder if mesh shading/variable rate shading works with this tech.

I think you are forgetting we are talking about Sony :)  And this demo was done 7 months before PS5 release.  Wait untill Santa Monica, GG, etc push PS5 to its limit and you will quote yourself again on this :D

You are not ready to see what XSX and PS5 can do if fully maxed out, righ now; but like any new generation, we will need some time.

You are right, after seeing what kojima did with death stranding and upcoming lastofus2 on base ps4 with tech from 2013 , I believe in greatness on ps5 :) 

goopy20 said:
Immersiveunreality said:
At the ending years of next gen this demo will probably look outdated compared to what the games will show us then,just like the U4 trailer compared to games coming out now.

You're probably right. The biggest take away is that Sony's SSD tech isn't just there for giggles and does a lot more than just shaving off a couple of seconds of loading time. It's going to be interesting to see what Sony's 1st party studios can do with it with their own propitiatory engines.

Playstation 5 can't guarantee 4k, 60fps though. PC can do it.

black8jac said:

Despite You ignoring it, my point still stands. There is fraction of the fraction of one percent PC users who has multi SSDs in RAID0, what makes them irrelevant. Mainstream is what matters. There is one more thing. PS5 is equipped with controller with 12 Direct Memory Access channels, not to mention hardware compression/decompression, coherency management etc. All that together makes it a top solution at the moment. Not only transfer speeds. 

The point is refuted, you just don't like it, the number of users are ultimately irrelevant.
We are talking in purely technical superiority terms here and the PC still has a significant edge over next-gen consoles.

The PC isn't limited to just an 8-core CPU and 16GB of Ram, It's not limited to 5.5GB/s of SSD bandwidth, it's not limited to a single RDNA2 GPU, it's not limited to just 4k.

Do you even know what DMA is? Do you even know if the PC uses hardware compression and decompression? Do you actually understand what coherency actually means in a gaming aspect?

HollyGamer said:

That's correct , PC will relied more on system ram , Vega GPU has what it called HBCC , i believe RDNA 2 will feature this costume to be available on the GPU and Nvidia will relied on more VRAM and some sort of bigger L chace .

But it still need to fill that 16 GB VRAM on the fly in less then a second , i bet 64 GB or 128 GB DDR4 is still not enough unless some assets are compress and GPU raw power help with the decompression.

The more data you store in memory, the less that needs to be streamed in, which means a reduction in I/O transfers, so you need less bandwidth.

In saying that, the PC doesn't stand still, there is some interesting SSD developments happening at the moment and the Playstation 5 isn't even out yet.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

You're probably right. The biggest take away is that Sony's SSD tech isn't just there for giggles and does a lot more than just shaving off a couple of seconds of loading time. It's going to be interesting to see what Sony's 1st party studios can do with it with their own propitiatory engines.

Playstation 5 can't guarantee 4k, 60fps though. PC can do it.

black8jac said:

Despite You ignoring it, my point still stands. There is fraction of the fraction of one percent PC users who has multi SSDs in RAID0, what makes them irrelevant. Mainstream is what matters. There is one more thing. PS5 is equipped with controller with 12 Direct Memory Access channels, not to mention hardware compression/decompression, coherency management etc. All that together makes it a top solution at the moment. Not only transfer speeds. 

The point is refuted, you just don't like it, the number of users are ultimately irrelevant.
We are talking in purely technical superiority terms here and the PC still has a significant edge over next-gen consoles.

The PC isn't limited to just an 8-core CPU and 16GB of Ram, It's not limited to 5.5GB/s of SSD bandwidth, it's not limited to a single RDNA2 GPU, it's not limited to just 4k.

Do you even know what DMA is? Do you even know if the PC uses hardware compression and decompression? Do you actually understand what coherency actually means in a gaming aspect?

HollyGamer said:

That's correct , PC will relied more on system ram , Vega GPU has what it called HBCC , i believe RDNA 2 will feature this costume to be available on the GPU and Nvidia will relied on more VRAM and some sort of bigger L chace .

But it still need to fill that 16 GB VRAM on the fly in less then a second , i bet 64 GB or 128 GB DDR4 is still not enough unless some assets are compress and GPU raw power help with the decompression.

The more data you store in memory, the less that needs to be streamed in, which means a reduction in I/O transfers, so you need less bandwidth.

In saying that, the PC doesn't stand still, there is some interesting SSD developments happening at the moment and the Playstation 5 isn't even out yet.

Well even PCs can warranty 4k60fps for all games coming out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

If you invest in the hardware, you can do 4k, 60fps across every game one way or another.

On console, you don't have such a choice. - Even the "4k twins" . - Aka. Xbox One X and Playstation 4 couldn't guarantee 4k... At the end, developers made decisions to sacrifice resolution to bolster other aspects of their games like framerates or effects.

The difference with PC is the individual user gets to make that choice, not the developer, not the console manufacturer. - Can't run a game at 4k today? Then upgrade your PC tomorrow and you can. - There are a few games on Xbox One X which will only operate at 720P because developers didn't patch in higher resolution support, meaning that new shiny hardware did nothing.

It's also a little bit of a smirk-situation, pubslishers/developers repackage and resell the same old games the following generation as a "remaster" to try and take advantage of faster hardware, which often is just a resolution/framerate bump. - That kind of support exists for free on the PC the day the game releases, you don't need to rebuy the game.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

If you invest in the hardware, you can do 4k, 60fps across every game one way or another.

On console, you don't have such a choice. - Even the "4k twins" . - Aka. Xbox One X and Playstation 4 couldn't guarantee 4k... At the end, developers made decisions to sacrifice resolution to bolster other aspects of their games like framerates or effects.

The difference with PC is the individual user gets to make that choice, not the developer, not the console manufacturer. - Can't run a game at 4k today? Then upgrade your PC tomorrow and you can. - There are a few games on Xbox One X which will only operate at 720P because developers didn't patch in higher resolution support, meaning that new shiny hardware did nothing.

It's also a little bit of a smirk-situation, pubslishers/developers repackage and resell the same old games the following generation as a "remaster" to try and take advantage of faster hardware, which often is just a resolution/framerate bump. - That kind of support exists for free on the PC the day the game releases, you don't need to rebuy the game.

I want to reinforce the "all games", because I remember seeing threads on VGC were it was mentioned that even very beefy PCs weren't running 4k60fps for some games, not saying the fault is of the PC lack of strength (that as you say in many threads you solve by putting even better HW) but problems on the code itself (perhaps on those threads they were just talking about regular arrangements like at most a Titan with normal SSD and compatible RAM instead of a very exotic exagerated setup).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

I want to reinforce the "all games", because I remember seeing threads on VGC were it was mentioned that even very beefy PCs weren't running 4k60fps for some games, not saying the fault is of the PC lack of strength (that as you say in many threads you solve by putting even better HW) but problems on the code itself (perhaps on those threads they were just talking about regular arrangements like at most a Titan with normal SSD and compatible RAM instead of a very exotic exagerated setup).

PC hardware doesn't stop evolving. High-end hardware of today will eventually be low-end hardware tomorrow.

Crysis for example was a struggle to even run at 720P on PC when it was released with the fastest hardware available, today a low-end notebook is capable of running the game at 720P... And decent hardware can run that game at 4k.

PC and graphics in games can continuously improve on PC as new hardware comes available, especially when you start injecting new graphics effects/modding and so forth.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

PC hardware doesn't stop evolving. High-end hardware of today will eventually be low-end hardware tomorrow.

Crysis for example was a struggle to even run at 720P on PC when it was released with the fastest hardware available, today a low-end notebook is capable of running the game at 720P... And decent hardware can run that game at 4k.

PC and how the graphics in games can continuously improve on PC as new hardware comes available, especially when you start injecting new graphics effects/modding and so forth.

Pretty much true. But current HW available at this time can run absolutely every game already launched and for the next 5 years with 4k60fps no fault?

I had the impression of note, but again, because of the code wrote by the developers not fault on the HW itself. Because let's say that current gen game would all run on PS5 and XSX at 4k60fps high quality and since PC are much stronger they would run with even higher quality, but we get games like wonderful 101 that on today thread was said that on PS4Pro is 1080p (despise being much stronger than WiiU that received 720p) and doesn't do 60fps while even on PCs it have frame drops because of poor optimization (sure in the future patches or mods can correct it).