By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:

Did you even watched it? Because it is clearly said that the demo is running realtime on PS5 and then captured.

Oh you are one of those that just believes. You must be young. I was like that many years ago.

Also the Avatar movie plays on the ps3 and looks amazing. It means nothing.

This demo was to be made available at CES for devs and journalists to try. They confirmed during the interview it was being played in real time and captured through hdmi out, straight from the early ps5 dev kit. Do you have any evidence this wasn't the case?

Didn't think so either...

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Impressive what HW that won't cost more than $500 will be able to do.

Great use of Irony. We all know PS5 isn't capable of those graphics at 4k, which will most likely be a demand for all next gen games. Even a current 2000dollars PC can't do that without heating issues, or huge fan noise, or frame drops.

Xbox series X could be closer to be able to, but it won't cost only 500dollars, I even have my doubts if PS5 will be only 500dollars.

Yes, PR wording, or even strategical lack of words, could make people imply that was full fledged RT and 4k on a PS5, while it was lower res, on a devkit on a PC more powerful than PS5 and it used a kind of lighting less computing heavy than full fledged RT. Anyhow, although 4k on $500 HW makes me smile too, GPU real world performances growth is always less than theoretic one and medium-low-power consumption GPUs, as those viable for a console APU, are still far from delivering that, if that HW will be able to offer acceptably good FX at a stable 60Hz or more at 1080p or slightly better, I'll be quite happy, as not too later PCs with low power Zen 3 CPUs and low range RDNA 2 GPUs will most probably offer a respectable 1440p with good framerate and decent FX that would make power lovers unhappy, but surely will make me happy (after staying turned off a month my old PC died and as I'm forced to do it earlier than I wanted, I'm gonna build a new one with a cheap Ryzen 2600, 16GB RAM, luckily found at a very few euros more than 8GB, and recycling the old fanless  R7 250 GPU, waiting for much more powerful low power consumption HW to make a real major upgrade, for a temporary upgrade Zen+ as cheap as possible made more sense than a much more expensive Zen 2 that, except the most powerful, power-hungry and expensive models, will be outperformed soon even by mid or even mid-low range Zen 3, and the most powerful current fanless GPUs are really outdated and desperately needing RDNA 2 successors, as except on laptop models, they are two evolutions old compared to the latest full-power models, and except the next custom models for consoles, current APUs aren't in a better situation).

Last edited by Alby_da_Wolf - on 15 May 2020

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sales2099 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Now I remember ,that you've always doubted the PS5's raytracing.

Say those words to yourself.

By the way, Aaron said that the XBOX could do the same .Then you should wonder why they didn't make the  demo like ps5.

Sony money might have something to do with it ;)

The irony is that more Xbox studios use UE then PS. The Coalition with Gears 5 and NT with Hellblade is some of the best use of UE on consoles this gen. 

You're right, there's a deep connection between MS and EPIC.
And you're behaving as if MS financial power doesn't exist here.
That's why Sony's money can't be an excuse.

That said, we will be able to see the day UE5 works on  the xbox.
I'm not doubt it.
But, MS seems to be behind Sony.
Don't you think so?

Perhaps you won't see my reply though.

Its a great showcase, but the naughtydog engine is better, even crytek. The only thing I didn't like was the water effects. The ripple effect seemed abit un realistic. But the triangle count and texture scans is amazing. I still remember how big of a deal it was when gran turismo car models were of 5000 polygons, and now it's just insane what tech can reach.

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:

Did you even watched it? Because it is clearly said that the demo is running realtime on PS5 and then captured.

Oh you are one of those that just believes. You must be young. I was like that many years ago.

Also the Avatar movie plays on the ps3 and looks amazing. It means nothing.

And you are a FUD spreader, I have seem many on VGC. You just pass rumors as facts and facts as lie depending on your convenience

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
Its a great showcase, but the naughtydog engine is better, even crytek. The only thing I didn't like was the water effects. The ripple effect seemed abit un realistic. But the triangle count and texture scans is amazing. I still remember how big of a deal it was when gran turismo car models were of 5000 polygons, and now it's just insane what tech can reach.

Judging engines on graphics is not a good idea. Engines are tools, you can get any visual result with any modern engine. The difference is the work required and the performance, i.e. the things you absolutely cannot see in a tech demo.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

I think devs realized that something like advanced version of SVOGI/SVOTI is pretty much what they can expect from those specs in next gen (Lumen is more or less that), with some adiitional "real" RT sprinkled in.

It kinda reminds of time before the start of this gen, when Epic demoed UE4 and talked about real time SVOGI (only to pull back a bit when they got the real specs, which fall short of their expectations of 2.5TFLOPS)

Yeah. I agree.
CryEngine was demonstrating this kind of technology at the start of the 8th gen...

And you can tell developers *really* wanted to go down this path with this current console cycle, just the hardware couldn't manage it just yet, almost, but not just yet.

But credit where credit is due, we ditched the allot of the baked effects from 7th gen in allot of games, which is why the 8th gen didn't seem like a big visual upgrade to many when it technically was.

Hopefully next time (in 7-8 years) they ditch the polygons...

The very same Tim Sweeny in an interview many years ago on Gamastura stated that for fully voxel based worlds, hardware needs to be around 25 or 27TFLOPS (my memory is bit hazy on exact number). By the time we finally get there I don't think it will be voxels per se, but whatever it is I honestly can't wait for that volumetric future and all the physics it brings with itself.

vivster said:
This demo had no vegetation.

To be fair, vegetation has been one of the easiest things to make look great in games for some reason. I'm sure it'll look great in UE5 too.

CGI-Quality said:
kirby007 said:

So with this nanite you stream detailed geometry in the scene from memory and depending on the resolution, it is determined how many polygons are used to display that geometry. The hdd or ssd must supply that data to the memory. How much room is this going to cost on it?

That depends on the use. For example, 1-2 million triangles/quads on a character is different from that much on the environment. This is because of dynamics and physics. A character will be moving, morphing, shifting (plus any hair, belts, straps, cloth, etc, etc), where as a rock mountain is a stationary prop that can have so much thrown at it (as was the case with this demo). 

So, the cost should be minimal.

It's triangles and or quads because those are the best geometric figures to make shapes with right?

Or does it also include that those figures have the best/better aimed reflections?

Dev noob right here. :P

https://nintendoeverything.com/unreal-engine-5-support-officially-confirmed-for-switch/ Sorry I know it's a Sony forum but eh I'm lazy. UE5 confirmed for Switch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!