By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

DonFerrari said:

Well you answered to a lot of people. So I'll just adress some points.

Yes you are right that RT and lighting have been improving a lot each gen. But my point was more on PS5 and XSX have put dedicated HW for RT on their chips but they haven't promissed full RT or anything of the like. The most we had was Mark Cerny saying they have implemented some techniques in some games and it didn't tax the system substancially. We will keep improving but RT isn't fully implemented yet.

About the Demo being feasible on PS5 and not on XSX yep, that specific demo isn't possible, but certainly they could make a different demo that would be a little lighter on the IO/SSD speed but increase on the GPU load to increase the pixel count or IQ of it. I'm just surprised that some people on the forum try to pretend the SSD difference is nothing more than "it will load a couple seconds faster". Each console have its strenght even if for graphics itself XSX is ahead while on performance and some effects the SSD will give PS5 a small edge.

No one can promise full hardware Ray Tracing yet... Because the technology simply doesn't exist.

Whilst consoles use PC technology, they are at the mercy of the PC hardware development cadence from AMD, Intel and nVidia... Thus if the PC can't do something (Like full hardware accelerated Ray Tracing for everything!), then consoles certainly cant.

The PC will be getting 2nd generation Ray Tracing hardware this year, so it will be interesting to see how nVidia improves on things and where that will take Ray Tracing going forward.

But I think the Ray Tracing hardware in consoles will be limited to a few effects like reflections rather than full Ray Traced lighting... It's far to taxing given our current hardware.

...Until then Ray Traced lighting which is computationally done on the GPU's shader pipelines and makes a few "cutbacks" to make it more performant is likely going to be the approach for the 9th gen... But it's to early to tell. - Some developers may offload some of that work to the Ray Tracing cores so the shaders get freed up to work on something else.
That's not a bad thing, it's effective use of the hardware.

The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 both have Pro's and Con's and that will be showcased visually in different ways in games, that's a good thing, we don't need consoles to be exact clones of each other every single generation, that gets boring.

The SSD in the Playstation 5 has tangible advantages that shouldn't be understated... And the Xbox Series X has tangible advantages in a multitude of other areas that should also be recognized.

This is what competition is all about, now we just need to wait for a price war for us consumers to win. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Well you answered to a lot of people. So I'll just adress some points.

Yes you are right that RT and lighting have been improving a lot each gen. But my point was more on PS5 and XSX have put dedicated HW for RT on their chips but they haven't promissed full RT or anything of the like. The most we had was Mark Cerny saying they have implemented some techniques in some games and it didn't tax the system substancially. We will keep improving but RT isn't fully implemented yet.

About the Demo being feasible on PS5 and not on XSX yep, that specific demo isn't possible, but certainly they could make a different demo that would be a little lighter on the IO/SSD speed but increase on the GPU load to increase the pixel count or IQ of it. I'm just surprised that some people on the forum try to pretend the SSD difference is nothing more than "it will load a couple seconds faster". Each console have its strenght even if for graphics itself XSX is ahead while on performance and some effects the SSD will give PS5 a small edge.

No one can promise full hardware Ray Tracing yet... Because the technology simply doesn't exist.

Whilst consoles use PC technology, they are at the mercy of the PC hardware development cadence from AMD, Intel and nVidia... Thus if the PC can't do something (Like full hardware accelerated Ray Tracing for everything!), then consoles certainly cant.

The PC will be getting 2nd generation Ray Tracing hardware this year, so it will be interesting to see how nVidia improves on things and where that will take Ray Tracing going forward.

But I think the Ray Tracing hardware in consoles will be limited to a few effects like reflections rather than full Ray Traced lighting... It's far to taxing given our current hardware.

...Until then Ray Traced lighting which is computationally done on the GPU's shader pipelines and makes a few "cutbacks" to make it more performant is likely going to be the approach for the 9th gen... But it's to early to tell. - Some developers may offload some of that work to the Ray Tracing cores so the shaders get freed up to work on something else.
That's not a bad thing, it's effective use of the hardware.

The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 both have Pro's and Con's and that will be showcased visually in different ways in games, that's a good thing, we don't need consoles to be exact clones of each other every single generation, that gets boring.

The SSD in the Playstation 5 has tangible advantages that shouldn't be understated... And the Xbox Series X has tangible advantages in a multitude of other areas that should also be recognized.

This is what competition is all about, now we just need to wait for a price war for us consumers to win. :)

All you said is true, strange that some users are complaining that the demo didn't use RT (full or otherwise) instead of their own solution on UE5 that would be less taxing for a good quality result. And perhaps if given a little more time this demo would be using the RT cores and looking even better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

second  it has GI which also a dynamic real time lighting and slightly cheaper than RT but has the same quality with RT when it comes to Lighting 

Ray Tracing isn't just one method, it's multiple methods to approach the same problem. The Global Illumination in this Unreal Engine 5 demo -is- Ray Tracing, it's using bounce lighting, it's just using a few tricks to increase performance with a slight quality hit.

It's also not using the actual Ray Tracing hardware.

CryEngine has been doing this for years now. Ray Tracing isn't actually a new technology, it's a very old one.

HollyGamer said:

There is no PR stunt, and there is no smoke and mirror , it's running on real time,  gameplay demo on PS5 old devkit,  no CGI no trick and better then Microsoft Inside gaming when it comes showing how next gen look. All games that showed on inside Xbox is just old gen games and and no gameplay at all. 

It's more or less a demonstration of some "possible" effects that games might employ, not an accurate representation that all games on the Playstation 5 will only be 1440P@30fps. (And personally I think 1440P is fine and a big step up over 1080P, provided they dial up the visuals.)

Obviously I would prefer 4k and have it super sampled down to 1440P, but you know.. Tomato, Potato.

Oh Pemalite, why are you keep bringing RT, when i just literally said the demo is not using RT 

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

Ray Tracing isn't just one method, it's multiple methods to approach the same problem. The Global Illumination in this Unreal Engine 5 demo -is- Ray Tracing, it's using bounce lighting, it's just using a few tricks to increase performance with a slight quality hit.

It's also not using the actual Ray Tracing hardware.

CryEngine has been doing this for years now. Ray Tracing isn't actually a new technology, it's a very old one.

It's more or less a demonstration of some "possible" effects that games might employ, not an accurate representation that all games on the Playstation 5 will only be 1440P@30fps. (And personally I think 1440P is fine and a big step up over 1080P, provided they dial up the visuals.)

Obviously I would prefer 4k and have it super sampled down to 1440P, but you know.. Tomato, Potato.

Oh Pemalite, why are you keep bringing RT, when i just literally said the demo is not using RT 

The demo is using Ray Tracing. It's what Global Illumination is.
It uses bounce lighting.

It's just not done on the Ray Tracing cores.

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

The demo is using Ray Tracing. It's what Global Illumination is.
It uses bounce lighting.

It's just not done on the Ray Tracing cores.

What I got from the tech interview is that they're using a lot of different techniques to work smarter rather than brute force it with hardware

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis

For example:

For shadows:

In lieu of triangle-based hardware-accelerated ray tracing, the UE5 demo on PlayStation 5 utilises screen-space as seen in current generation games to cover small details, which are then combined with a virtualised shadow map.

For light:

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

To achieve fully dynamic real-time GI, Lumen has a specific hierarchy. "Lumen uses a combination of different techniques to efficiently trace rays," continues Wright. "Screen-space traces handle tiny details, mesh signed distance field traces handle medium-scale light transfer and voxel traces handle large scale light transfer."

Dunno what they do about reflections, were there any in the demo?

Also for processing geometry, back to software instead of using hardware mesh shaders

"The vast majority of triangles are software rasterised using hyper-optimised compute shaders specifically designed for the advantages we can exploit," explains Brian Karis. "As a result, we've been able to leave hardware rasterisers in the dust at this specific task. Software rasterisation is a core component of Nanite that allows it to achieve what it does. (We can't beat hardware rasterisers in all cases though so we'll use hardware when we've determined it's the faster path.)

This is always a problem with hardware added for specific tasks. Better, smarter ways to handle things usually happen right along. It looks like the next Unreal engine will have all bases covered. (Apart from reflections so far)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

What I got from the tech interview is that they're using a lot of different techniques to work smarter rather than brute force it with hardware

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis

For example:

For shadows:

In lieu of triangle-based hardware-accelerated ray tracing, the UE5 demo on PlayStation 5 utilises screen-space as seen in current generation games to cover small details, which are then combined with a virtualised shadow map.

For light:

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

To achieve fully dynamic real-time GI, Lumen has a specific hierarchy. "Lumen uses a combination of different techniques to efficiently trace rays," continues Wright. "Screen-space traces handle tiny details, mesh signed distance field traces handle medium-scale light transfer and voxel traces handle large scale light transfer."

Dunno what they do about reflections, were there any in the demo?

Also for processing geometry, back to software instead of using hardware mesh shaders

"The vast majority of triangles are software rasterised using hyper-optimised compute shaders specifically designed for the advantages we can exploit," explains Brian Karis. "As a result, we've been able to leave hardware rasterisers in the dust at this specific task. Software rasterisation is a core component of Nanite that allows it to achieve what it does. (We can't beat hardware rasterisers in all cases though so we'll use hardware when we've determined it's the faster path.)

This is always a problem with hardware added for specific tasks. Better, smarter ways to handle things usually happen right along. It looks like the next Unreal engine will have all bases covered. (Apart from reflections so far)

Pretty much! And all to get the bast bang-for-buck visuals with acceptable hardware overhead.

Just irked me that people were claiming the demo wasn't using Ray Tracing -at all- which was actually false.

Reflections were in the demo, but they were on matte surfaces and I think they relied on screen space.

Pemalite said:

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

If UE5 supports Series X,

Don't you wonder that MS didn't  show the tech demo off on an XseX?

Unreal Engine 5 is supported on all major platforms. (With the Switch in question for obvious reasons)

Wow! I have never doubted that the UE5 supports Series X.

And you haven't even answered my question.

Did you just want to have a conversation with me?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Pemalite said:

Unreal Engine 5 is supported on all major platforms. (With the Switch in question for obvious reasons)

Then why use "if" as if to assert that it's a "maybe?"

Pemalite said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Lol, is that so important?
Why? I am a poor Japanese in English. Sorry

Since your question has already been solved, can you answer my question?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Pemalite said:

Lol, is that so important?
Why? I am a poor Japanese in English. Sorry

Since your question has already been solved, can you answer my question?

Your question on why Microsoft didn't demonstrate Unreal Engine 5?

They probably did with Hellblade 2. They just didn't focus on the technology itself.