By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

CGI-Quality said:
victor83fernandes said:

If you think next gen consoles will be able to have these kind of graphics on open world games at 4k 60fps with full Ray tracing, you'll be hugely disappointed. This was just a tech demo, most likely ran on a PC.

Demos for the UE4 years ago also looked impressive and we never saw anything like that on ps4 pro or xbox X.

Most likely not a ps5 with only 10teraflops.

Yes, but those demos were also made with the highest quality assets and were not concerned with gaming, totally at odds with what this demo is doing.

This demo, just like the tech demos for ps2, ps3 and ps4 all have one goal, to hype gamers a few months before launch day. The more impressive the demos, the higher the price that sony will be allowed on the console. It's all marketing.

It doesn't bother me much because I have experience from previous generations.

Also next gen I'm going full PC, I am most likely leaving consoles after 30 years of gaming.

I realised PC gaming is way cheaper. Free online which costs 350 dollars in 7 years on consoles, much cheaper games and sales, can replace my laptop too, can play all kinds of media, ps4 doesn't even read HEVC or ALAC which is ridiculous. And PC is much more versatile, as in I can upgrade whenever I want, do not need to buy a full new system like I did this generation with Xbox X and ps4 pro. 

Then I can put whichever cooling system I want, it was a nightmare this generation with loud ps4 and ps4 pro.

And then thousands of backwards compatible games all with free graphics upgrades, unlike my ps4 pro which didn't upgrade half the games such as driveclub or assassins creed 4.

PS - I might change my mind if the ps5 would upgrade the graphics of all ps4 games, such as AA. And if my ps4 pro controller would be compatible, I can't deal with that horrible ps5 controller, I know what I suffered with the ps4 controller.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yes, but those demos were also made with the highest quality assets and were not concerned with gaming, totally at odds with what this demo is doing.

This demo, just like the tech demos for ps2, ps3 and ps4 all have one goal, to hype gamers a few months before launch day. The more impressive the demos, the higher the price that sony will be allowed on the console. It's all marketing.

It doesn't bother me much because I have experience from previous generations.

Also next gen I'm going full PC, I am most likely leaving consoles after 30 years of gaming.

I realised PC gaming is way cheaper. Free online which costs 350 dollars in 7 years on consoles, much cheaper games and sales, can replace my laptop too, can play all kinds of media, ps4 doesn't even read HEVC or ALAC which is ridiculous. And PC is much more versatile, as in I can upgrade whenever I want, do not need to buy a full new system like I did this generation with Xbox X and ps4 pro. 

Then I can put whichever cooling system I want, it was a nightmare this generation with loud ps4 and ps4 pro.

And then thousands of backwards compatible games all with free graphics upgrades, unlike my ps4 pro which didn't upgrade half the games such as driveclub or assassins creed 4.

PS - I might change my mind if the ps5 would upgrade the graphics of all ps4 games, such as AA. And if my ps4 pro controller would be compatible, I can't deal with that horrible ps5 controller, I know what I suffered with the ps4 controller.

You are really a broken record throwing FUD.

We all know you are going to PC.

PS5 BC mode was confirmed by Mark Cerny to improve the performance of PS4 games, and days later Sony complimented that it is expected to work on almost all games (the comment on the top 100 tested was just that they tested those already not that it would only work on those).

You haven't even touched DS for PS5 and already know it will be terrible to use, you are incredible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OTBWY said:
I want to see it running on the Series X cause this was 1440p 30fps with no raytracing.

And how different do you expect a Series X version will look like?  The difference in power between the PS5  and the XSX is not that big (except the SSD).  

Lol, people are bickering like these systems will be vastly different. Spoiler alert, they won't.

Just enjoy this look at what next gen will bring to both consoles.

Also gotta love people needing DF to confirm what resolution it is, then proceeding to be dissapointed in spite of their eyes not being able to tell the difference in the first place.

Glad to see there are no upscaling artefacts

Last edited by Otter - on 14 May 2020

victor83fernandes said:
Otter said:

I think this was intentional. On one hand it's just a tech demo so it wouldn't make sense to pour efforts into crazy mechanics that wouldn't end up in a product.

On the other hand the demo clearly starts off by displaying the kind of experiences we've come to expect albeit in unaparreled detail (including the loading trick between rocks), then they rip the curtains down and unveil the same detail in an instantly transportable open world that has never been possible before. 

Remembering this is a Game Engine showcase and not a PS5 game reveal, the effort is put on what the engine means for creators. 

I had a similar lack of enthusiasm for the mechanics but couldn't help but get excited about what this could mean for my favourite franchises. 

Thats even worse than I thought before, if its like the ps3 and ps4 demos, it means we will not get to see those graphics until late in the next generation. Full games never get to look as good as tech demos until years after.

Please show me one of those playable ps3/Ps4 tech demos.

Around the Network
finalrpgfantasy said:
OTBWY said:
I want to see it running on the Series X cause this was 1440p 30fps with no raytracing.

And how different do you expect a Series X version will look like?  The difference in power between the PS5  and the XSX is not that big (except the SSD).  

The Xbox Series X is more powerful, people are fooling themselves and clinging to the magic power of the SSD. Imagine the ridicule if the Xbox Series X was a little weaker and MS talked about the power of the SSD. 

Otter said:
victor83fernandes said:

Thats even worse than I thought before, if its like the ps3 and ps4 demos, it means we will not get to see those graphics until late in the next generation. Full games never get to look as good as tech demos until years after.

Please show me one of those playable ps3/Ps4 tech demos.

This one comes to mind.

Some of you guys would do well to keep in mind that we're going to be seeing all the major launch titles for these consoles over the course of the next 2 months or so, as well as some sneak peeks at what's in store down the road. Might wanna consider that before boldly proclaiming that so and so can't do such and such. Your posts may not age particularly well.

CGI-Quality said:
OTBWY said:

This one comes to mind.
-vid

That's a poor example because by the end of the gen, the PS3 had games that looked better (Beyond: Two Souls instantly comes to mind). That also wasn't really playable, but yeah, point made.

Depends what is meant with playable. I mean yeah you don't move stuff around but it was a demo that you could interact with. It is a stretch i admit. However, some of the details here were waaay beyond what was possible in the beginning. Only very very late could you see stuff like this, I'm not even mentioning the dynamic lighting on this.

OTBWY said:
finalrpgfantasy said:

The Xbox Series X is more powerful, people are fooling themselves and clinging to the magic power of the SSD. Imagine the ridicule if the Xbox Series X was a little weaker and MS talked about the power of the SSD. 

It's more powerful but not a 50% difference in power like some people think (it's actually way less than that).  Do you actually expect the XSX to run a demo like this at full 4k60 fps and raytracing enabled?