By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

Just a question, wouldnt next gen consoles help reduce the cost of using RT? The reason is because next gen consoles wont be able to use the full force of it, so developers will find ways to optimize it so that they can have while having other bells and whistle. My take we wont see the beenfit of proper rt until last year of next gen and early next next gen

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah DF guys just mentioned this (about 12,30 mins into their video).
This if 1440p upscaled to 4k, and its running 30fps.

Same demo is going to be 4k@30fps on XSX.

Probably 60 fps 4k@.

34 years playing games.

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

The irony is that more Xbox studios use UE then PS. The Coalition with Gears 5 and NT with Hellblade is some of the best use of UE on consoles this gen. 

As was Days Gone and many of the Indie games that were built on PS4 first (Outlast and various horror games). Something to keep in mind.

Ah thank you, someone with knowledge on the subject. Is that truly it? No Naughty Dog games, Guerilla, Santa Monica? You know, the big AAA hitters. 

Because if Days Gone is the most high budget exclusive that uses UE, the irony here is delicious. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

JRPGfan said:
kirby007 said:

Yes, i believe it is generated on the PS5 without a doubt, but its not made by Sony

But Tim Sweeny did say that the same Tech demo wouldnt be possible on anything but the PS5 currently.
So its not made by Sony, but "for" the PS5.

Basically the load on the SSD to run this level of detail, with the 8k textures, ect would be too demanding for the XSX.
They would have to do work to get it running on XSX, and might have to lower quality of textures or amounts, because it couldnt load them as fast as the PS5 does.

Where do you guys get your information from?

Let me paste here the same answer I did in another thread:

"A number of different components are required to render at this level of detail," says Sweeney. "One is GPU performance and GPU architecture to draw an incredible amount of geometry. You're talking about a very large number of teraflops being required for this. The other is the ability to load and stream it efficiently."

Would this demo run on my PC with a RTX 2070 Super? Yes, according to Libreri, and I should get "pretty good" performance. For comparison, the PlayStation 5 GPU the demo video was captured on achieves 10.28 teraflops, while the RTX 2070 Super hits just over 9 teraflops. 

Regarding loading and streaming, though, Sweeney says that the PlayStation 5's SSD architecture is "god-tier" and "pretty far ahead of PCs," but that you should still get "awesome performance" with an NVMe SSD, which I'm using."

https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engine-5-tech-demo/

This is a piece of the PCGamer interview with Epic Games.

Otter said:
victor83fernandes said:

Disappointing, I was already expecting great graphics, but coming from ps4 pro and xbox X, I was hoping for new gaming mechanics. I don't see any big difference from this to uncharted 4, looks like a corridor exploration adventure game, even has the same climbing and between rocks squeeze.

Sure great graphics and fast loadings, nothing game changing for me.

I think this was intentional. On one hand it's just a tech demo so it wouldn't make sense to pour efforts into crazy mechanics that wouldn't end up in a product.

On the other hand the demo clearly starts off by displaying the kind of experiences we've come to expect albeit in unaparreled detail (including the loading trick between rocks), then they rip the curtains down and unveil the same detail in an instantly transportable open world that has never been possible before. 

Remembering this is a Game Engine showcase and not a PS5 game reveal, the effort is put on what the engine means for creators. 

I had a similar lack of enthusiasm for the mechanics but couldn't help but get excited about what this could mean for my favourite franchises. 

Thats even worse than I thought before, if its like the ps3 and ps4 demos, it means we will not get to see those graphics until late in the next generation. Full games never get to look as good as tech demos until years after.

Around the Network

Impressive what HW that won't cost more than $500 will be able to do.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Teriol said:
RolStoppable said:

Same demo is going to be 4k@30fps on XSX.

Probably 60 fps 4k@.

If you think next gen consoles will be able to have these kind of graphics on open world games at 4k 60fps with full Ray tracing, you'll be hugely disappointed. This was just a tech demo, most likely ran on a PC.

Demos for the UE4 years ago also looked impressive and we never saw anything like that on ps4 pro or xbox X.

Most likely not a ps5 with only 10teraflops.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Impressive what HW that won't cost more than $500 will be able to do.

Great use of Irony. We all know PS5 isn't capable of those graphics at 4k, which will most likely be a demand for all next gen games. Even a current 2000dollars PC can't do that without heating issues, or huge fan noise, or frame drops.

Xbox series X could be closer to be able to, but it won't cost only 500dollars, I even have my doubts if PS5 will be only 500dollars.

kirby007 said:

@DonFerrari stop the echochamber and look for his actual statement

The PlayStation 5 has a huge amount of GPU power, but also a greatly improved bandwidth for access to the storage medium. That is going to be really critical, "said Keighley. He explains the importance of this." It is one thing to be able to render everything in memory. However, it only becomes really impressive if you can render a huge world that is several gigabytes in size. In addition, the new M.2 Solid-State drive from Sony comes into play. "

According to Keighley, the SSD used by Sony is so fast that there is currently no model on the commercial market for sale that can compete with it. He even goes so far as to say that the PlayStation 5 is at the forefront of the PC market and will encourage them to use faster SSDs. That is highly unusual, normally consoles lag behind what is possible in PCs, partly because of the cost of a console.

And is the Xbox SSD faster or slower than the PS5? So you can continue the thinking process and just arrive to the conclusion that you are avoiding.

I'll say, PS5 SSD solution is better than MS (which is something that you would have on PCI 4.0 on PC) so the demo wouldn't be feasible in XSX without changes to make it work on XSX.

Will you also comment the supposition that Sony paid for Epic to lie about it, or that Epic hates MS even if MS uses UE much more than Sony, or you just have problem with the part that is favoring Sony in the discussion?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

victor83fernandes said:
Teriol said:

Probably 60 fps 4k@.

If you think next gen consoles will be able to have these kind of graphics on open world games at 4k 60fps with full Ray tracing, you'll be hugely disappointed. This was just a tech demo, most likely ran on a PC.

Demos for the UE4 years ago also looked impressive and we never saw anything like that on ps4 pro or xbox X.

Most likely not a ps5 with only 10teraflops.

Did you even watched it? Because it is clearly said that the demo is running realtime on PS5 and then captured.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."