By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

Pemalite said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Lol, is that so important?
Why? I am a poor Japanese in English. Sorry

Since your question has already been solved, can you answer my question?

Your question on why Microsoft didn't demonstrate Unreal Engine 5?

They probably did with Hellblade 2. They just didn't focus on the technology itself.

Oh, I see.

However, I think that it is insufficient for the next gen console.
Well, if MS wants to do that, that's fine, isn't it?

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

What I got from the tech interview is that they're using a lot of different techniques to work smarter rather than brute force it with hardware

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis

For example:

For shadows:

In lieu of triangle-based hardware-accelerated ray tracing, the UE5 demo on PlayStation 5 utilises screen-space as seen in current generation games to cover small details, which are then combined with a virtualised shadow map.

For light:

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

To achieve fully dynamic real-time GI, Lumen has a specific hierarchy. "Lumen uses a combination of different techniques to efficiently trace rays," continues Wright. "Screen-space traces handle tiny details, mesh signed distance field traces handle medium-scale light transfer and voxel traces handle large scale light transfer."

Dunno what they do about reflections, were there any in the demo?

Also for processing geometry, back to software instead of using hardware mesh shaders

"The vast majority of triangles are software rasterised using hyper-optimised compute shaders specifically designed for the advantages we can exploit," explains Brian Karis. "As a result, we've been able to leave hardware rasterisers in the dust at this specific task. Software rasterisation is a core component of Nanite that allows it to achieve what it does. (We can't beat hardware rasterisers in all cases though so we'll use hardware when we've determined it's the faster path.)

This is always a problem with hardware added for specific tasks. Better, smarter ways to handle things usually happen right along. It looks like the next Unreal engine will have all bases covered. (Apart from reflections so far)

Pretty much! And all to get the bast bang-for-buck visuals with acceptable hardware overhead.

Just irked me that people were claiming the demo wasn't using Ray Tracing -at all- which was actually false.

Reflections were in the demo, but they were on matte surfaces and I think they relied on screen space.

I think devs realized that something like advanced version of SVOGI/SVOTI is pretty much what they can expect from those specs in next gen (Lumen is more or less that), with some adiitional "real" RT sprinkled in.

It kinda reminds of time before the start of this gen, when Epic demoed UE4 and talked about real time SVOGI (only to pull back a bit when they got the real specs, which fall short of their expectations of 2.5TFLOPS)

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah DF guys just mentioned this (about 12,30 mins into their video).
This if 1440p upscaled to 4k, and its running 30fps.

Same demo is going to be 4k@30fps on XSX.

Oh God, another one. 4K has double pixel count of 1440p. XSX GPU is 18% more powerful than PS5. But if we are going this route, to load assets from ssd during ending flight in this demo XSX would need commercial brake half way or maybe even more than one.

This demo had no vegetation.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

black8jac said:
RolStoppable said:

Same demo is going to be 4k@30fps on XSX.

Oh God, another one. 4K has double pixel count of 1440p. XSX GPU is 18% more powerful than PS5. But if we are going this route, to load assets from ssd during ending flight in this demo XSX would need commercial brake half way or maybe even more than one.

1440P is 3,686,400 pixels.
2160P/4k is 8,294,400 pixels.

Difference of 125%.

No way will this demo go from 1440P @30fps on the Playstation 5 to 2160P @ 30fps on the Xbox Series X.
Maybe 1800P if you are lucky, really depends where the performance bottleneck on the Playstation 5 was.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Pemalite said:

Your question on why Microsoft didn't demonstrate Unreal Engine 5?

They probably did with Hellblade 2. They just didn't focus on the technology itself.

Oh, I see.

Of course. I don't think Microsoft has adequately showcased it's hardware with visual gaming representations appropriately just yet.
Their last Inside Xbox was a pretty big missed opportunity.

HoloDust said:
Pemalite said:

Pretty much! And all to get the bast bang-for-buck visuals with acceptable hardware overhead.

Just irked me that people were claiming the demo wasn't using Ray Tracing -at all- which was actually false.

Reflections were in the demo, but they were on matte surfaces and I think they relied on screen space.

I think devs realized that something like advanced version of SVOGI/SVOTI is pretty much what they can expect from those specs in next gen (Lumen is more or less that), with some adiitional "real" RT sprinkled in.

It kinda reminds of time before the start of this gen, when Epic demoed UE4 and talked about real time SVOGI (only to pull back a bit when they got the real specs, which fall short of their expectations of 2.5TFLOPS)

Yeah. I agree.
CryEngine was demonstrating this kind of technology at the start of the 8th gen...

And you can tell developers *really* wanted to go down this path with this current console cycle, just the hardware couldn't manage it just yet, almost, but not just yet.

But credit where credit is due, we ditched the allot of the baked effects from 7th gen in allot of games, which is why the 8th gen didn't seem like a big visual upgrade to many when it technically was.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Oh, I see.

Of course. I don't think Microsoft has adequately showcased it's hardware with visual gaming representations appropriately just yet.
Their last Inside Xbox was a pretty big missed opportunity.

Well, we'll see something by July.
I'd love to see their UE5 demo.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 15 May 2020

kirby007 said:

so barely 1440p @ 30fps without RT pardon me?

Pardon me but I thought you knew by looking at the demo,surely it's not like  people need to be told what res it is and whether or not it has rt.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

CuCabeludo said:

UE5 will be the next prostituted engine used by everybody. Epic announced with UE5 devs will only pay 5% royalty if the game cross 1 million bucks in sales. Currently the threshold for 5% UE4 royalty is 3000 bucks in sales.

So a better royalty arrangement is some how bad?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Oh Pemalite, why are you keep bringing RT, when i just literally said the demo is not using RT 

The demo is using Ray Tracing. It's what Global Illumination is.
It uses bounce lighting.

It's just not done on the Ray Tracing cores.

Yeah it's not path tracing but it's part of Ray Tracing, you are correct tho . GI is part of RT but not the same with path tracing that were used on Nvidia GPU 

DonFerrari said:
victor83fernandes said:

If you think next gen consoles will be able to have these kind of graphics on open world games at 4k 60fps with full Ray tracing, you'll be hugely disappointed. This was just a tech demo, most likely ran on a PC.

Demos for the UE4 years ago also looked impressive and we never saw anything like that on ps4 pro or xbox X.

Most likely not a ps5 with only 10teraflops.

Did you even watched it? Because it is clearly said that the demo is running realtime on PS5 and then captured.

Oh you are one of those that just believes. You must be young. I was like that many years ago.

Also the Avatar movie plays on the ps3 and looks amazing. It means nothing.