By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

IcaroRibeiro said:
Why are Nintendo 1st party game digital sales not included ?

Nintendo likes to give everyone a handicap to make things fair ;)

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
Why are Nintendo 1st party game digital sales not included ?

Nintendo likes to give everyone a handicap to make things fair ;)

Yikes. So Animal Crossing is probably the second best selling game in US in April rather than Call of Duty

trunkswd said:
tbone51 said:

Super Nintendo.... Star Fox 2 came out in 2018 ;)

I wouldn't count SNES Mini 😋

If we count SNES Mini to count Star Fox 2 then it wouldn't be after system was discontinued right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:
tbone51 said:

I wouldn't count SNES Mini 😋

Hey it’s under the NSO SNES program so it counts :P

tbone51 said:
trunkswd said:

That is crazy. I wonder what is the most amount of years between a console's release and/or discontinuation and when the final game gets a release on it.

Pfft, I've had access to Starfox 2 on a real SNES since about 2008, and that version is superior to the SNES Mini release. :P

Seriously though, the Mini's not even the same hardware. The last official SNES release was Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut in 2000, so 10 years after the system's launch.

Around the Network

Jk aside I could of sworn I heard 1 game maybe 2018 that came out on a system that was old, not sure if it was SNES, Sega Saturn? Something damn can’t remember

brute said:
DonFerrari said:
For reference the last releases per relevant console (will count discontinuation at the time the successor arrived)
NES (83 to 90) had Warrio Woods in 95 - so 12 years after launch or 5 years after discontinuation
SNES (90 to 96) to Star Fox 2 in 2017 via the classic, or Fire Emblem in 2000 - So last real game was 10 years after launch or 4 years after discontinuation
N64 (96 to 2001) Tony Hawks 3 in 2003 or 7 years after launch 2 years after discontinuation.
GC (2001 to 2006) Madden NFL 2008 in 2007 or 6 years after launch 1 year after discontinuation (worse support for Nintendo in consoles)
Wii (2006 to 2012) - Still receives Just Dance so at least 14 years after launch or 8 years after discontinuation
PS1 (94 to 2000) - Black/Matrix 2004 or 10 years after launch and 4 years after discontinuation
PS2 (2000 to 2007) - Fifa 14 in 2013 or 13 years after launch and 7 years after discontinuation (best for Sony, bested by Just Dance)
PS3 (2006 to 2013) - Fifa 19 in 2018 or 12 years after launch and 5 years after discontinuation
Master System (85 to 88, but still in production in Brazil) - Sonic in 92 and Smurfs in 96 so 7 to 11 years after launch and 4 to 8 years after discontinuation
Mega Drive (88 to 94 ) Batman Forever 95 or Tanglewood 2018 so 7 years after launch 1 year after discontinuation or 30 years after launch and 26 years after discontinuation (record???)
Saturn (94 to 98) Primal Rage in 98 so 4 years after launch and on the year of discontinuation
Dreamcast (98 to 2001) NHL 2K in 2002 so 4 years after launch and 1 year after discontinuation... so Sega is the worse supporter for consoles
Xbox (2001 to 2005) Madden NFL 2009 in 2008 so 7 years after launch and 3 years after discontinuation
X360 (2005 to 2013) Just Dance 19 in 2018 so 13 years after launch and 5 years after discontinuation.

I believe Ps2 slightly beats Wii. 

I believe Pro Evo 2014 released on Ps2 November 2013. So about 13.5 years since it's Japan release.

Just Dance 2020 released November 2019. So that would be 13 years.

A Just dance 2021 would give Wii the win though.

Forgot to comment earlier but the last Dreamcast game is also wrong.

Karous released for Dreamcast (Japan only) March 2007. 

Triggerheart Exelica released in February 2007.

I remember one of these caused a shock and surprised a few people here in VGChartz back in the day.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Heh, the funny thing is that Just Dance 2020 (Wii) was the second most popular version of the game on Amazon. There are a lot of people out there still playing the Wii and buying new games for it. If Nintendo can't get this group to buy a Switch, then Ubisoft might be selling Just Dance on the Wii for several more years.

tbone51 said:
Jk aside I could of sworn I heard 1 game maybe 2018 that came out on a system that was old, not sure if it was SNES, Sega Saturn? Something damn can’t remember

Genesis, but I didn't count it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Heh, the funny thing is that Just Dance 2020 (Wii) was the second most popular version of the game on Amazon. There are a lot of people out there still playing the Wii and buying new games for it. If Nintendo can't get this group to buy a Switch, then Ubisoft might be selling Just Dance on the Wii for several more years.

that group that nintendo brought that won't buy another console but still want yearly just dance... it is a niche but quite significant