By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

DonFerrari said:
Mar1217 said:
Can't wait for May numbers hehehe !

Why? I can give you a spoiler, Switch broke record for that month, PS4 still selling great even on last year, Xbox doing much better than last year.

With all the shortages going on, this might be lower than expected though, especially for Switch

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Jk aside I could of sworn I heard 1 game maybe 2018 that came out on a system that was old, not sure if it was SNES, Sega Saturn? Something damn can’t remember

Most consoles get some games from small indie developers every year. Some of them totally original, some being fangames (like that Halo "port" for the Atari 2600), and a couple even commercial releases.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yep: https://www.amazon.com.au/Just-Dance-2020-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B07SG1521N

That is crazy. I wonder what is the most amount of years between a console's release and/or discontinuation and when the final game gets a release on it.

You can also play the wii version on the wiiU.  Right?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Pyro as Bill said:

$300 without a game that offers the value Wii Sports did is still a lot to ask for those who only want a Wii. RFA+Switch have been hitting WiiFit+Wii holiday prices on Ebay so there are positive signs. Despite the claims that the Switch installments have dropped the 'casual' and are now more core, the reality is they're more casual too. More accessible controls (autodrive/steer in MK8D), more minigames (28 in 12S, 51 in CHG), better motion control (ARMS v Wii Boxing), more intense exergaming (RFA/ARMS).

Looking back maybe Nintendo should have unbundled and delayed Wii Sports and cancelled or delayed Mario Kart Wii. Launch with New Play Mario Tennis/Golf alongside Double Dash Deluxe w/wheel instead. The casuals would have still come eventually and the slow build could have stopped some of the shortages. Maybe Wii Fit should have come before Wii Sports too.

This is a decent point.  This crowd may just need a really good holiday bundle to "switch" over from the Wii.  For them Mario Kart and a price drop or Mario Kart + another Wii like game (Mario Party, 2D Mario, ect...) may be enough to convince them to get a Switch.

If their current offerings, Switch Sports and adding some of the Wii catalog to Nintendo Online can't bring them back, what will?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

konnichiwa said:
trunkswd said:

That is crazy. I wonder what is the most amount of years between a console's release and/or discontinuation and when the final game gets a release on it.

Wii U is fully backwards compatible with Wii games, so yes.

The last Just Dance game actually released on the Wii U was JD2019, so the Wii outlasted it's own successor by a year.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
konnichiwa said:

The last Just Dance game actually released on the Wii U was JD2019, so the Wii outlasted it's own successor by a year.

Yeah was the point I wanted to make, You don't have to make a Wii U version because you can sell the Wii version while selling the WiiU version only wouldn't work for Wii only owners.

PS4 is coming for 130m easily

konnichiwa said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah was the point I wanted to make, You don't have to make a Wii U version because you can sell the Wii version while selling the WiiU version only wouldn't work for Wii only owners.

Ah, I didn't realize you were being rhetorical. Yes, that follows. Like the PS3/360 versions, the Wii U version seemingly wasn't selling enough to be worth producing any more. Support for all three ended with the 2018 game.

curl-6 said:
konnichiwa said:

Well that is if we don't have JD21 for Wii next year, probably will since it sold more thna PS4 and X1.

About it being BC, they could just do a quick port and call WiiU since a lot of people wouldn't know they can buy the Wii version.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Well that is if we don't have JD21 for Wii next year, probably will since it sold more thna PS4 and X1.

About it being BC, they could just do a quick port and call WiiU since a lot of people wouldn't know they can buy the Wii version.

I think i recall Ubisoft saying back before the release of JD2020 that it would the last entry for Wii, a send-off of sorts. 

Wii U honestly just isn't worth bothering with in any way at this point tbh.