By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I wonder what % of Just Dance 2020's sales were the Wii version. It's still so insane to be that we got a retail release for the original Wii in late 2019.

It'd be interesting to see a platform breakdown for it. Obviously the Switch would lead but would be very keen to see how Wii compares to PS4/Xbone.

according to wikipedia:

the Nintendo Switch version accounting for 55% of sales, followed by the Nintendo Wii at 21%, PlayStation 4 at 14%, and the Xbox One at 10%

Wow. I feel like after RingFit adventure success. Nintendo can look to make the next Motion controls game that has a theme of sports in their next project. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
yo33331 said:

according to wikipedia:

the Nintendo Switch version accounting for 55% of sales, followed by the Nintendo Wii at 21%, PlayStation 4 at 14%, and the Xbox One at 10%

Wow. I feel like after RingFit adventure success. Nintendo can look to make the next Motion controls game that has a theme of sports in their next project. 

Fit Boxing is now over 700k as well so they have found a market for fitness games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I wonder what % of Just Dance 2020's sales were the Wii version. It's still so insane to be that we got a retail release for the original Wii in late 2019.

It'd be interesting to see a platform breakdown for it. Obviously the Switch would lead but would be very keen to see how Wii compares to PS4/Xbone.

according to wikipedia:

Seems like the bulk of the Just Dance crowd is on Nintendo. Could as well be exclusive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Heh, the funny thing is that Just Dance 2020 (Wii) was the second most popular version of the game on Amazon. There are a lot of people out there still playing the Wii and buying new games for it. If Nintendo can't get this group to buy a Switch, then Ubisoft might be selling Just Dance on the Wii for several more years.

that group that nintendo brought that won't buy another console but still want yearly just dance... it is a niche but quite significant

You might be right, but I think this depends a lot on what Nintendo does.  Switch actually has several games that feel like Wii games: Mario Kart, Ring Fit Adventure, Arms, 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party and Clubhouse Games (soon).  Add to that the third party games that fit this theme, like Just Dance, and there are enough games to attract most or all of the Wii crowd over.

But I think there is a decent chunk of this crowd that needs more marketing.  With the Wii, it was obvious that it was about motion controls from the marketing.  Switch is not marketed this way.  Some of that Wii crowd may not realize that there are games for them on the Switch, so they just keep playing it on the Wii instead.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

that group that nintendo brought that won't buy another console but still want yearly just dance... it is a niche but quite significant

You might be right, but I think this depends a lot on what Nintendo does.  Switch actually has several games that feel like Wii games: Mario Kart, Ring Fit Adventure, Arms, 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party and Clubhouse Games (soon).  Add to that the third party games that fit this theme, like Just Dance, and there are enough games to attract most or all of the Wii crowd over.

But I think there is a decent chunk of this crowd that needs more marketing.  With the Wii, it was obvious that it was about motion controls from the marketing.  Switch is not marketed this way.  Some of that Wii crowd may not realize that there are games for them on the Switch, so they just keep playing it on the Wii instead.

I would love if Ninty was able to again bring more of the non-gaming crowd back, it expands the market and expenses and part of that money can be used on the gaming community, as long as Ninty and others don't forget the regular gaming crowd I think it is positive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

What I find weird is that according to latest Financial Report of Nintendo, Brain Training for Nintendo Switch wasn't released in North America. I checked with Wikipedia, no release date either for NA. Why they don't release it in that market???

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

according to wikipedia:

Thanks man!

So the Wii was the second highest selling version, above PS4 and Xbone, far out. No wonder they still kept making them for Wii this long, despite the console itself having been discontinued ages ago.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2020

When people do finally start to use their brain and not making the state making decisions for them? Are people aware that the state is parenting us and taking away our free will? Charlatans have to be eliminated but people should be mature enough to judge for themselves if a Brain Training game is actually just a game for fun or if it really has good effects on your brain functionality. People must take their health into their own hands. It is your body, your psyche. When they finally start to take care of their own property? Here's a secret: The state will be happy if you die just when you get retired. That way you will not cause unnecessary costs for the state and taxpayer. Just keep that in mind!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

$300 without a game that offers the value Wii Sports did is still a lot to ask for those who only want a Wii. RFA+Switch have been hitting WiiFit+Wii holiday prices on Ebay so there are positive signs. Despite the claims that the Switch installments have dropped the 'casual' and are now more core, the reality is they're more casual too. More accessible controls (autodrive/steer in MK8D), more minigames (28 in 12S, 51 in CHG), better motion control (ARMS v Wii Boxing), more intense exergaming (RFA/ARMS).

Looking back maybe Nintendo should have unbundled and delayed Wii Sports and cancelled or delayed Mario Kart Wii. Launch with New Play Mario Tennis/Golf alongside Double Dash Deluxe w/wheel instead. The casuals would have still come eventually and the slow build could have stopped some of the shortages. Maybe Wii Fit should have come before Wii Sports too.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

$300 without a game that offers the value Wii Sports did is still a lot to ask for those who only want a Wii. RFA+Switch have been hitting WiiFit+Wii holiday prices on Ebay so there are positive signs. Despite the claims that the Switch installments have dropped the 'casual' and are now more core, the reality is they're more casual too. More accessible controls (autodrive/steer in MK8D), more minigames (28 in 12S, 51 in CHG), better motion control (ARMS v Wii Boxing), more intense exergaming (RFA/ARMS).

Looking back maybe Nintendo should have unbundled and delayed Wii Sports and cancelled or delayed Mario Kart Wii. Launch with New Play Mario Tennis/Golf alongside Double Dash Deluxe w/wheel instead. The casuals would have still come eventually and the slow build could have stopped some of the shortages. Maybe Wii Fit should have come before Wii Sports too.

This is a decent point.  This crowd may just need a really good holiday bundle to "switch" over from the Wii.  For them Mario Kart and a price drop or Mario Kart + another Wii like game (Mario Party, 2D Mario, ect...) may be enough to convince them to get a Switch.