Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

Oh wow i wasn't expecting that from the low JP sales.. i was wondering how numbers was low since they up production. But this makes sense. Guess they priorities NA and Europe cause there is more competition.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
trunkswd said:

It is not just alive, it is THRIVING!! 

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you guys. I think this month is going to be big as well, but I think around next month is when we are going to start seeing the negative effects the pandemic has had on everyone's economy.

European countries have run programs to secure employment and keep people paid, so ultimately only a single digit percentage of the population could be seriously affected, and it's probably going to be a small single digit percentage at that. The financial crisis of the late 2000s didn't have a significant negative effect on video game sales and said crisis lasted a lot longer than the current corona crisis where the cause for uncertainty is clearly identified and can be dealt with much faster. The USA isn't handling it as well as Europe, but the video game market should be fine nonetheless.

The biggest danger for the video game market is a potential valley in demand that is caused by people being happy to be allowed outside without any restrictions again. More appreciation for that freedom is going to be detrimental for video game sales, but I don't expect a prolonged valley because it won't take long until said freedom is perceived as nothing special again.

After this valley (which may not even happen), sales will be back to what they would have been without impact by a crisis. Switch sales will be good because the console is in the middle of its life, PS4 and XB1 sales will be sluggish because they are approaching the end of their lives.

Or to put it in other words, the question here is whether or not the current net plus in console sales will be erased in the near future. I don't see it happening. Perhaps a small dent, but most of those corona gains will remain throughout the rest of this year.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

chakkra said:
trunkswd said:

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you guys. I think this month is going to be big as well, but I think around next month is when we are going to start seeing the negative effects the pandemic has had on everyone's economy.

It is possible there will be negative effects in game sales from the pandemic at some point. It sounds like Sony will be limiting PS5 stock at launch. While things are starting to reopen, there is always the chance if a second wave due to that. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

xMetroid said:
Oh wow i wasn't expecting that from the low JP sales.. i was wondering how numbers was low since they up production. But this makes sense. Guess they priorities NA and Europe cause there is more competition.

Neither was I and clearly neither didn't the VGChartz algorithm. I've gone and adjusted up our sales to match the NPD figures. And adjusted up our sales in the rest of the Americas and Europe, so they increases by a similar percent. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch is still killin' it, as expected. This month yields great results all around too!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Around the Network
chakkra said:
trunkswd said:

People overstate the impact of recessions on entertainment. The console and movie industries had some of their best years during 2009.

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

European countries have run programs to secure employment and keep people paid, so ultimately only a single digit percentage of the population could be seriously affected, and it's probably going to be a small single digit percentage at that. The financial crisis of the late 2000s didn't have a significant negative effect on video game sales and said crisis lasted a lot longer than the current corona crisis where the cause for uncertainty is clearly identified and can be dealt with much faster. The USA isn't handling it as well as Europe, but the video game market should be fine nonetheless.

The biggest danger for the video game market is a potential valley in demand that is caused by people being happy to be allowed outside without any restrictions again. More appreciation for that freedom is going to be detrimental for video game sales, but I don't expect a prolonged valley because it won't take long until said freedom is perceived as nothing special again.

After this valley (which may not even happen), sales will be back to what they would have been without impact by a crisis. Switch sales will be good because the console is in the middle of its life, PS4 and XB1 sales will be sluggish because they are approaching the end of their lives.

Or to put it in other words, the question here is whether or not the current net plus in console sales will be erased in the near future. I don't see it happening. Perhaps a small dent, but most of those corona gains will remain throughout the rest of this year.

I hope you´re right man. I really do.

Switch continues in beast mode, as expected

p0isonparadise said:
Largest non-holiday months*

1. Switch - 1,002,000 (March 2020)
2. Switch - 808,000 (April 2020)
3. Wii - 803,000 (October 2008)
4. DS - 783,000 (June 2008)
5. DS - 766,000 (June 2009)
6. Wii - 753,000 (February 2009)
7. Wii - 714,000 (April 2008)
8. Wii - 721,000 (March 2008)
9. DS - 701,000 (March 2010)
10. DS - 698,000 (March 2008)

*excludes hardware launches.

Insane, simply insane.

Also, congrats to Final Fantasy VII Remake, amazing how it broke the all-time record for the series.

PS4 and Xbone did great.

The game industry is one of the few that benefits big from COVID-19. People stuck inside for weeks on end and kids not in school need to be entertained, no pro sports on TV, no new movies in theaters, and there's only so much worth watching on Netflix.

Soundwave said:

The game industry is one of the few that benefits big from COVID-19. People stuck inside for weeks on end and kids not in school need to be entertained, no pro sports on TV, no new movies in theaters, and there's only so much worth watching on Netflix.

Yes, exactly this. Without sports to watch and movie theaters closed people have video games, Netflix and regular TV for entertainment.