By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

trunkswd said:
kopstudent89 said:
THE CONSOLE MARKET IS ALIVE

It is not just alive, it is THRIVING!! 

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you guys. I think this month is going to be big as well, but I think around next month is when we are going to start seeing the negative effects the pandemic has had on everyone's economy.

Around the Network

Oh wow i wasn't expecting that from the low JP sales.. i was wondering how numbers was low since they up production. But this makes sense. Guess they priorities NA and Europe cause there is more competition.

Switch is still killin' it, as expected. This month yields great results all around too!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

chakkra said:
trunkswd said:

It is not just alive, it is THRIVING!! 

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you guys. I think this month is going to be big as well, but I think around next month is when we are going to start seeing the negative effects the pandemic has had on everyone's economy.

People overstate the impact of recessions on entertainment. The console and movie industries had some of their best years during 2009.

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

European countries have run programs to secure employment and keep people paid, so ultimately only a single digit percentage of the population could be seriously affected, and it's probably going to be a small single digit percentage at that. The financial crisis of the late 2000s didn't have a significant negative effect on video game sales and said crisis lasted a lot longer than the current corona crisis where the cause for uncertainty is clearly identified and can be dealt with much faster. The USA isn't handling it as well as Europe, but the video game market should be fine nonetheless.

The biggest danger for the video game market is a potential valley in demand that is caused by people being happy to be allowed outside without any restrictions again. More appreciation for that freedom is going to be detrimental for video game sales, but I don't expect a prolonged valley because it won't take long until said freedom is perceived as nothing special again.

After this valley (which may not even happen), sales will be back to what they would have been without impact by a crisis. Switch sales will be good because the console is in the middle of its life, PS4 and XB1 sales will be sluggish because they are approaching the end of their lives.

Or to put it in other words, the question here is whether or not the current net plus in console sales will be erased in the near future. I don't see it happening. Perhaps a small dent, but most of those corona gains will remain throughout the rest of this year.

I hope you´re right man. I really do.

Around the Network

Switch continues in beast mode, as expected

p0isonparadise said:
Largest non-holiday months*

1. Switch - 1,002,000 (March 2020)
2. Switch - 808,000 (April 2020)
3. Wii - 803,000 (October 2008)
4. DS - 783,000 (June 2008)
5. DS - 766,000 (June 2009)
6. Wii - 753,000 (February 2009)
7. Wii - 714,000 (April 2008)
8. Wii - 721,000 (March 2008)
9. DS - 701,000 (March 2010)
10. DS - 698,000 (March 2008)

*excludes hardware launches.

Insane, simply insane.

Also, congrats to Final Fantasy VII Remake, amazing how it broke the all-time record for the series.

PS4 and Xbone did great.

The game industry is one of the few that benefits big from COVID-19. People stuck inside for weeks on end and kids not in school need to be entertained, no pro sports on TV, no new movies in theaters, and there's only so much worth watching on Netflix.

Seems like PS4 hold out on the month and FFVIIR gave a bump on sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jranation said:
p0isonparadise said:
Largest non-holiday months*

1. Switch - 1,002,000 (March 2020)
2. Switch - 808,000 (April 2020)
3. Wii - 803,000 (October 2008)
4. DS - 783,000 (June 2008)
5. DS - 766,000 (June 2009)
6. Wii - 753,000 (February 2009)
7. Wii - 714,000 (April 2008)
8. Wii - 721,000 (March 2008)
9. DS - 701,000 (March 2010)
10. DS - 698,000 (March 2008)

*excludes hardware launches.

Complete Nintendomination! And Switch is leading the pack! It took over 10 years to beat the Wii record! 

Crazy how it took 10 years for any month to enter the top 10!

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Shadow1980 said:
mk7sx said:

Michael Pachter has confirmed actual unit sales of all three hardware.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/npd-april-video-game-disc-sales-up-8/

NSW: 808,000
PS4: 411,000
XBO: 329,000

Holy shit!

I guess that $1200 really was burning holes in a lot of pockets. The Switch I can understand being up, but I'm especially surprised that so many people are willing to splurge on PS4s and XBOs just six months before the PS5 and XSX debut.

I'm not at my computer right now, but I'll try to get some charts up sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Not just the $1200 but the added unemployment benefits have some people making more money now than they did when they were working.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.