By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April NPD 2020: Switch 808k, PS4 411k, XB1 329k

newwil7l said:
chakkra said:

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you guys. I think this month is going to be big as well, but I think around next month is when we are going to start seeing the negative effects the pandemic has had on everyone's economy.

People overstate the impact of recessions on entertainment. The console and movie industries had some of their best years during 2009.

Movies may possibly take a hit, especially upcoming ones. I may be wrong, but a recession in 2009 is different to a recession, plus a pandemic, in 2020. With theaters being closed due to the pandemic and will likely not pick up where it left off once they reopen again, due to the need for social/physical distancing, the DVD/Blu-Ray and digital download sales would have to pick up the slack. Not to mention those areas have to compete with the various streaming services.

It's pretty incredible that the Switch, despite some stock issues, is picking things up at an incredible record-breaking pace. I am surprised that despite the utter dominance of the PS4 from 2013-17, the Switch is able to set new records for non-holiday months this generation, even reaching heights similar to that of the Wii, without the need of the "fad" gimmick.

I had no doubt about FFVIIR's performance. Even though its one out of who-knows-how-many parts, the remake was highly anticipated for a long-time. It's FFVII. Its among the biggest/important games in history.

Animal Crossing continues to do well, even without digital sales being noted in the NPD. It continues to be this crazy phenomenon that very few games reach. Not to mention its a life simulator, you don't hear a game like that take the world by storm unless you mention The Sims.

Trials of Mana ranking among the Switch's top 10 is nice to see. Hopefully, it will continue to do well to encourage more AA support for the Switch.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 22 May 2020

Around the Network
brute said:
Jranation said:

Complete Nintendomination! And Switch is leading the pack! It took over 10 years to beat the Wii record! 

Crazy how it took 10 years for any month to enter the top 10!

Super crazy. Just shows to never count Nintendo out. They will always find a way to break their own records. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It still feels surreal sometimes, after the down years of the Wii U, that the Switch is on track to blow passed the Wii. I was genuinely worried back in 2016 and early 2017 that they were done for. Truly a miraculous comeback.

trunkswd said:

Top 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch games for April 2020

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  2. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*
  3. Just Dance 2020
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  6. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  7. Luigi’s Mansion 3*
  8. Pokémon: Sword*
  9. Trials of Mana
  10. Super Mario Party*

Looks like Just Dance will live on, after finally leaving the Wii. A third party game placing above Smash, Pokemon, and BOTW is no small feat.

Great to see consoles doing well all around!

p0isonparadise said:
Largest non-holiday months*

1. Switch - 1,002,000 (March 2020)
2. Switch - 808,000 (April 2020)
3. Wii - 803,000 (October 2008)
4. DS - 783,000 (June 2008)
5. DS - 766,000 (June 2009)
6. Wii - 753,000 (February 2009)
7. Wii - 714,000 (April 2008)
8. Wii - 721,000 (March 2008)
9. DS - 701,000 (March 2010)
10. DS - 698,000 (March 2008)

*excludes hardware launches.

1.8m in two months in the US alone.  Switch basically got an extra holiday season this year.  Crazy. 

Metroid33slayer said:

This boom is going to do wonders for late spring/summer games like Xenoblade, PM origami, GOT and even TLOU 2 despite fan backlash. I expect ever greens to benefit hugely as well, MK8 deluxe to ship 2.5m worldwide for Q1.

Interesting to know if anyone made one of those bold sales predictions about MK8D? i know some guy or guys said Smash would sell 25m and Odyssey 20m and they were mostly told to stop living in cloud cukoo land. If Someone said 40m for MK8D back in 2017 then i think they would have faced ridicule like nothing seen before.

I hope this is close enough for you.  I included the "appropriate" reply in the link.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8915853

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
p0isonparadise said:
Largest non-holiday months*

1. Switch - 1,002,000 (March 2020)
2. Switch - 808,000 (April 2020)
3. Wii - 803,000 (October 2008)
4. DS - 783,000 (June 2008)
5. DS - 766,000 (June 2009)
6. Wii - 753,000 (February 2009)
7. Wii - 714,000 (April 2008)
8. Wii - 721,000 (March 2008)
9. DS - 701,000 (March 2010)
10. DS - 698,000 (March 2008)

*excludes hardware launches.

1.8m in two months in the US alone.  Switch basically got an extra holiday season this year.  Crazy. 

Metroid33slayer said:

This boom is going to do wonders for late spring/summer games like Xenoblade, PM origami, GOT and even TLOU 2 despite fan backlash. I expect ever greens to benefit hugely as well, MK8 deluxe to ship 2.5m worldwide for Q1.

Interesting to know if anyone made one of those bold sales predictions about MK8D? i know some guy or guys said Smash would sell 25m and Odyssey 20m and they were mostly told to stop living in cloud cukoo land. If Someone said 40m for MK8D back in 2017 then i think they would have faced ridicule like nothing seen before.

I hope this is close enough for you.  I included the "appropriate" reply in the link.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8915853

You even said 50m! That was bold. I agree, the way things are playing out i think the game will finish closer to 50m than 40m. This would make it the best selling game on a single console in history and no i don't count the free pack in that was wii sports.

Sorry guys, i'll update the thread as soon as possible!

thread update

Insanity. Impressive considering how supply constrained they all are. It’s rare to actually see any of these consoles in the wild around here.

Didn’t know Switch eclipsed one million in March. Got damn.

If Xbox One can sell this much given its market share, Series X has nowhere to go but up. I think taking back the US is a strong possibility. Quite possibly all of North and South America. Canada’s habits mirror the states and the brand is strong in Latin America

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.