By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which next gen console are you looking forward to the most?

Which next gen console are you looking forward to the most?

PS5 1,101 69.33%

Xbox Series X 487 30.67%

Total:1,588
Intrinsic said:
vivster said:

I think you're vastly overestimating developers willingness to design specifically around high SSD speeds when there is next to no benefit compared to traditional design. You will always have a fast experience with an SSD no matter if the game was designed for it or not. Hell, you don't even need SSDs at all for fast loading times. All you need is enough RAM and a predictive loader. Modern GPUs hold everything they need in VRAM without the need to constantly stream large amounts of data from storage. The use cases where lots of data needs to suddenly be streamed to RAM/VRAM are limited and mostly only occur when you start up a game. This is great for the instant game resume feature on the consoles but less useful from within the game.

Take a normal use case for example. An open world game is the most taxing thing when it comes to heavy visual applications. Lots of of high quality assets at the same time that need to be constantly loaded in to be rendered. Pop ins are basically eliminated on SSDs despite games not being designed specifically for SSDs. Now imagine fast traveling between two far away places with completely different textures. Another very taxing activity as lots of assets will have to be exchanged within the VRAM. In this case you will have a loading screen for HDD users while for SSD users it's barely there and the bottleneck lies within the CPU and GPU to construct the scene. Now if you designed that for SSD only you will maybe completely lose the loading screen that pops up for a second but it'll be replaced by something else, a one second black screen or other kind of transition. Because even with the fastest SSDs loading won't be instantaneous. If it is instantaneous then the data was already present in RAM since memory bandwidth is about 100 times faster than the fastest SSDs.

So in that case "optimizing for SSD" would mean nothing else but replacing a loading screen with something else while loading just as fast. Maybe you can name a specific use case where it is needed to specifically code with SSDs in mind to get a significant speed boost.

Isn' RAM more expensive than an SSD? I mean you can get a 250GB SSD for under $50 right now and I am guessing those prices would continue to drop. And have you tried playing star citizen without an SSD? I don't know why the PC folk on here seem to have some sort of selective intelligence, but there isn't a debate here. There hasn't been a game designed for an SSD on PC outside SC... and even with that one it's debatable. Make no mistake, you would see SSDs become minimum requirement for PCs by the end of this year and onwards for games on the PC.

Why do our PC friends have a way of invading all console threads?

We stop invading console threads as soon as you stop saying nonsense about PC. So I guess we never will.

I will counter your claim and say that SSDs won't be in the minimum requirements of even 1% of PC games by the END of the next gen, even though 99% of gaming PCs will have one.

Last edited by vivster - on 05 May 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Intrinsic said:

Isn' RAM more expensive than an SSD? I mean you can get a 250GB SSD for under $50 right now and I am guessing those prices would continue to drop. And have you tried playing star citizen without an SSD? I don't know why the PC folk on here seem to have some sort of selective intelligence, but there isn't a debate here. There hasn't been a game designed for an SSD on PC outside SC... and even with that one it's debatable. Make no mistake, you would see SSDs become minimum requirement for PCs by the end of this year and onwards for games on the PC.

Why do our PC friends have a way of invading all console threads?

We stop invading console threads as soon as you stop saying nonsense about PC. So I guess we never will.

I will counter your claim and say that SSDs won't be in the minimum requirements of even 1% of PC games by the END of the next gen, even though 99% of gaming PCs will have one.

Saying nonsense about PCs?

Who said shit about PCs in this thread before you rode in on whatever horse you name in n? Like someone says something about consoles and hat they are excited for and you guys jump in what your shit about PC had this and PC did that... like who gives a F*** really?

And just to be clear... you are saying SSDs wouldn't be in the minimum requirement for 1% of games on PC by the end of the next-gen? I just hope you have the integrity to come back here and say you were wrong as soon as 2023...

I'll even double down on that... 8 core CPUs, 16GB of RAM, SSD... those would be in the recommended specs of any multiplatform age on the PC passion as the ending of this year and would be in pretty much all of them by 2022. 

Like I am really curious to see what nonsense was said about PCs in this thread. You guys just can't help yourselves. 

m0ney said:
What is there to look forward to? Short loading times? We have that on PC since forever.

And this is what started this nonsense and why I say you guys can't just help your selves. Everyone was just responding to the thread and saying which console they wanted then boom, that dude comes and says that shit that isn't contributing t the thread at all. Insecure PC nonsense.

Then you come in here claiming we say nonsense about PCs ignoring what that dude said and did? If you are so Pro PC why even come into threads like these to begin with?

And you see what I quoted, that was the first mention of PCs in this thread.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 05 May 2020

The next "Switch"

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

With what we know about both, it has to be the Xbox Series X. Quite surprising considering I completely skipped the Xbox One after being primarily a 360 gamer last generation. They seem to be hitting all the right notes.

Sony really dropping the ball on building pre-launch hype for PS5 this year so far. Quite the opposite from what they did with PS4 throughout 2013.

Neither at the moment. Will eventually get one, most likely PS5.

Around the Network

This will be my third gen running doing this: PlayStation early (at launch hopefully) then upgrade my PC mid-gen. That should cover most of my gaming needs. I might subscribe to GamePass on PC here and there if anything catches my eye. Or maybe towards the end of the gen to have a huge load of Xbox Studios games to play on my PC. That said, my PC will need a big overhaul this time; not just more ram, videocard, and cpu but a whole new motherboard. I might have to get a switch too when it's cheaper and my son gets older to play with him.

The PlayStation exclusives are just not miss-able to me. Their output this gen has been stellar.

I saw this thread when it first came about and thought: why no option for a new Switch? Then I started reading and already some guys were stating just that: that they were looking forward to a new version of the Nintendo hybrid (as am I, but I'll go through that later).

Well, on topic, if I were to buy one of the next consoles it would probably be the PS5 only for retro compatibility (I have not owned a PS4). "Machine wise" though, I think the XSX has a lot of attractive features. But I will probably stick to the PC/Switch config that I have nowadays.

Talking of a Switch new version, I tend to feel the Switch as the nowadays NES: one of a kind in the market, a place where almost everyone wants to be, but limited by the hardware (even though I love mine, mind you). I expect (or at least wish) the next Nintendo Machine to be to the Switch what the SNES was related to the NES: a much, much more capable device, not necessarily in raw power, but in features designed to make it even more attractive to developers. That is the reason I'm looking much more forward to the next Switch. The concept is awesome, but there is so much room for improvement.

Xbox Series X

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Carl said:
With what we know about both, it has to be the Xbox Series X. Quite surprising considering I completely skipped the Xbox One after being primarily a 360 gamer last generation. They seem to be hitting all the right notes.

Sony really dropping the ball on building pre-launch hype for PS5 this year so far. Quite the opposite from what they did with PS4 throughout 2013.

This interests me, we pretty much know that all the big games will be reprised on their respective consoles and we also know that 3rd party will continue to support both so in many ways its a continuation of the present with the benefit of better hardware,sure there will be some who are attracted by  tflops numbers but speaking for myself I'm past the point of looking at blown up still images indicating a difference so minor that a pointer is needed and even if I had eagle eyes  most often in game I'm  to busy  taking action or moving through the game world to even look, so honestly I can't see any compelling reasons to move from one platform to the other and that includes moving in either direction.

Another thing that intrigues me is the excitement for all the new developers along with older ones being recast, why this interests me is history shows how damn hard it is to make a  game that becomes the next Halo uncharted etc, and there's more to it than how many teams you have or how talented your team is, one of the reasons why you sometimes see a successful franchise continued past it's use by date besides wanting milk money, is because its damn hard, making one great game/ franchise doesn't automatically lead to more.

In my case I will do what I have done since the PS3 slim  trade in old games and get both just not at once but the PS5 will remain my main platform because of my investment in that ecosystem and its games rather than me thinking its a better console, in that regard to me itI feels  pretty much even in so far as both will have exclusives that take that extra step and 3rd party will be pretty much standard across both systems.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 May 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Series X has the specs, better backwards compatibility, Game Pass is the best deal in gaming, and Halo Infinite headlining a beefed up first party studio lineup. Can’t wait to know them officially in the July event.

No TV, Kinect, or virtual reality bs...just a gaming machine.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.