By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look af the PS5 controller. The DualSense

Dig it?

Yay 90 69.23%

Nay 40 30.77%

Total:130

Design: Well it looks like they are using the XB1 design so that's a good thing.

Buttons: Things I like is the built in Mic and the Rumble Triggers which is necessary for FPS and Racing games these days.

Colour: Not a fan of the colour, however we know controllers will come out in colours in the future. But the lack of colour on the buttons and the 70% White and 30% Black just isn't doing it for me.

Price: This thing looks expensive.. people complaining about buying Play-and-Charge kits for the Xbox might be in for a surprise with the price of this controller. I see the Series X controller selling for around $50 to $60 where as I see this thing coming close to $70 to $90. But that's just speculation.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Left analog stick and d-pad still in the wrong place. Guess Sony is content to keep this glaring design flaw created by a slapdash mid-generation redesign back in the 90s for a fifth generation.

It consistently keeps Sony's controller design at the bottom every generation (except maybe the original Xbox controller). It's a company embarrassment.

Elaborate.

I think this is a step forward from DS4. I like the shape of this controller and I think the haptic feedback will significantly help to create immersion. Also a better battery is highly welcomed. I only wish that the face buttons were coloured and that they swapped the placement of the left stick and the dpad, but that's probably never gonna happen.

SvennoJ said:
TheBraveGallade said:

I mean, at this point at least HALF of the population of a first world country should be using a USB-C device.

Even IPADS have the port.

I got my wife an iPhone 11 not long ago, that still has the lightning connector. The iPad we have is a 4 mini lol. I still use mini USB for old Move controllers and micro USB for new Move controllers and other controllers. Micro USB works best imo, snaps on nice and tight. Mini USB is too loose, lightning cables suck.

Then of course the old HDMI cables, HDMI 2.0 cables, next we'll need HDMI 2.1 cables and there's also mini HDMI cables. I love all these standards! My wife always makes fun of me when I pull out the old box with my cable collection going back to Coax, Serial and Parallel cables, RCA, S-VHS, different headphone cables and all the connectors and converters that come with them for different consoles, PCs, audio and video equipment.

But sure, still looking forward to a 'standard' cable!

Thats just either apple being stubborn, though lightning DOES have its merits and it came out quite a bit before USB-C and is still leagues better than micro usb exept for the standerdization factor.

EVERYTHING can be run on USBC, it just takes time to transition.

NightlyPoe said:
Xxain said:

Elaborate.

The analog stick is the default control option for 3D games.  It's in the inferior secondary position.

The original Playstation controller was basically an SNES with a grip and extra couple of buttons in the back.  Perfectly functional in the 2D 4th generation, but then the N64 controller came along and made non-analog controllers obsolete as gaming headed into 3D space.  Instead of rethinking their controller design from scratch, Sony's response was to basically to slap a couple of analog sticks at the bottom of their controller.  This left the 2D control scheme the dominant default and the 3D scheme secondary.  Good for retro games that wouldn't see a resurgence for about 15 years, but a poor design choice for the majority of games.

I've expressed this opinion a few times around here.  The Sony controllers' backwards design have always bugged me.  So many people have grown up with the controller always like that, though, that it's just a design flaw that most people don't think about and even defend.

Ahhh. For whatever the reason I not did that was what you were talking about, but I somewhat dont agree. I find SONY's placement to be more balanced(even if it slightly favors 2D for what is generally a 3D games console) and I'm sure they keep it that because of its history being a platform for many vs N64 and XBOX where their controllers were designed to cater to specific genres. Its more awkward to have the d-pad not be inline with the buttons vs the ladder. I couldn't imagine playing a fighter with d-pad being where the analog is.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Anonymous1796 said:

I needed to search a little harder I guess, lol.

Those look like the Mario gamecube controller they released lol 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

EricHiggin said:

I like this mock up of the two tone better with majority black. It's still not great but more palatable. Black sticks probably would've looked good here too. Plain buttons on the right would have also been better here I think in this case.

I would really like to see a mock up of the official here, but replace the black bottom portion with a similar shade of blue to match the blue LED light. I think that would actually look pretty decent. Maybe the sticks and shoulder buttons should be the same shade of blue as well, but keep the PS logo silver. I've seen some where they replaced the white portion with blue (as well as other colors), but left the bottom black, and I'm still not a fan.

the top one looks waaaay better. Not sure why they decide to do white buttons and not keep the 4 colours of those buttons. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

shikamaru317 said:

Oh god that is hilarious 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Captain_Yuri said:
JRPGfan said:

Make a entirely white one? and a console thats also white..... please.

*edit:
I dont like the mix and match look of it.... make one a solid colour please.
Pure white, or pure grey/black please.

Like this? It's a fan mock up.

That look soooooo much better to me.

NightlyPoe said:
Xxain said:

Elaborate.

The analog stick is the default control option for 3D games.  It's in the inferior secondary position.

The original Playstation controller was basically an SNES with a grip and extra couple of buttons in the back.  Perfectly functional in the 2D 4th generation, but then the N64 controller came along and made non-analog controllers obsolete as gaming headed into 3D space.  Instead of rethinking their controller design from scratch, Sony's response was to basically to slap a couple of analog sticks at the bottom of their controller.  This left the 2D control scheme the dominant default and the 3D scheme secondary.  Good for retro games that wouldn't see a resurgence for about 15 years, but a poor design choice for the majority of games.

I've expressed this opinion a few times around here.  The Sony controllers' backwards design have always bugged me.  So many people have grown up with the controller always like that, though, that it's just a design flaw that most people don't think about and even defend.

"Dominant default" is entirely subjective to how users learned to hold controllers. If people are comfortable with the placement of right stick used consistently for the majority of modern games which rely on camera aiming. Why would mirrored placing of the left stick be a problem. Also by this logic should the right stick and buttons be swapped since the generations biggest games rely more on camera control + shoulder buttons/trigger buttons more then face buttons?

People learn how to hold controllers differently which mean that even through user research, user bases will have different preferences. You'll be astonished by how some people hold controls (there is no right or wrong). Playstation has biggest user base, they should keep listening to that userbase and I would assume their user research did.

What is so wrong and uncomfortable about what the right hand is doing? If there is no problem, I'm not sure a symmetrical design is an inherent flaw versus a personal preference.

To me the only difference aside from your habit of how you're used to holding the control is if you prefer symmetry or no symmetry. I've had all consoles through generations, fortunately I've never had any annoyance jumping between symmetry/no symmetry. The biggest problem for the dualshock was poor quality thumbs sticks and they fixed that with DS4's revisions.

Anyway for people who hate the symmetry, hopefully is a third party control for that. 

Last edited by Otter - on 08 April 2020