By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look af the PS5 controller. The DualSense

Dig it?

Yay 90 69.23%

Nay 40 30.77%

Total:130

This is old news, but I thought it was worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/fx5yam/dualsense_is_now_highest_liked_gaming_tweet_ever/

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Even some journalists don't understand what the adaptive triggers are. It's not haptics like the Xbox Triggers. 

My understanding is that the Xbox triggers have traditional rumble motors in them, they are fairly advanced rumble motors with multiple modes, but definitely rumble motors, these can give a nice bit of haptic feedback, allowing you to feel rumble each time you pull the trigger in a shooter, or feel different road surfaces with different rumble modes in racing games. DualSense triggers have voice coil actuators inside of them, that are designed to adjust the force the triggers impart on the fly. The example that was given was pulling back a bow string, much like how a real compound bow gets harder to pull back the farther you pull it, until you reach the sweet spot at full draw where less force is required, the DualSense triggers can emulate that, increasing the force needed to push the the triggers the further you push it down. The haptics in the DualSense are in the grips, not the triggers. The two work together to provide a more advanced level of haptics than the Xbox controller can provide. 

20 years ago that was called forcefeedback and MS joystick for PC had them =] ... well not the same technology, but you had progressively harder controls the more you pushed and the vibration and resistance was also variable to simulate the activity.

My wheel have that as well, but that was a 500 USD wheel =] not a 60 controller.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

HollyGamer said:
the-pi-guy said:

Even some journalists don't understand what the adaptive triggers are. It's not haptics like the Xbox Triggers. 

I just read  IGN article about comparison between Dual Sense and Xbox Controller, i am baffled why they cannot understand the difference. I can understand if teh one who made the article are amature or small game news company, but IGN is different. 

Well, you can't write ignorant or ignorance withou IGN.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
It might be because I'm a robot but I have no issue picking up any controller from SEGA to TG16 to Sony to Xbox to Nintendo and finding them easy to hold and knowing without looking where the button placement is of each letter/symbol. Xbox uses SEGA's layout. Nintendo uses the same one since SNES. Sony for whatever reason uses X to confirm in the US but O in Japan which makes more sense but still easy to adapt to. Wii U sticks gave me no issues either. I actually kinda miss the 6 button layout of Genesis/Saturn controllers. I don't get why 20 years later the placement of sticks is still such a hot topic. If you have an issue, get a 3rd party or one of those adapters to let you use an Xbox controller on PS.

If you want to know why... nintendo is overly popular in japan, so the control layout for japanese games for RPGs matches up with the SNES controller, ergo, nintendo's, while it matches sega/xbox (lets be real xbox is the sucessor to the dreamcast... considering the dreamcast can run windows). also cultural difference, x means no in japan, O means yes. in america, you check things to mark it yes, also x marks the spot, while circle doesn't have the yes meaning in america. so japanese devs followed the SNES way, the american devs (which sega, later xbox and sony had a ton on thier side) used the sega/xbox way.

Even though some of the console renders look pretty decent based on the DualSense, I hope a two tone console also means that SNY will go with a PS3 type launch in terms of color availability. Having the option of dominant white, black, or grey would be nice. Maybe the black version being all blacked out to match most entertainment centers? Not a fan of white electronics other than as show pieces.

Would SNY come out with a design lab like MS, for a completely custom designed controller, as well as console?

Around the Network

I use PS4 controller to play on Stadia and plan to buy a dualsense.