By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look af the PS5 controller. The DualSense

Dig it?

Yay 90 69.23%

Nay 40 30.77%

Total:130
Leynos said:
EricHiggin said:

It's known as the DualSense 5. DS5 for short...

You keep referring to Sony as SNY. It seems silly

I got your point, but I also use XB, and Nin like many others. Not sure what's so silly about those. Just a shorter form for each that's still clear enough to understand. What is the proper cut off for short forms? I was just pointing out you used a short form in as silly a way as I do, so to each their own as far as I'm concerned. Except for NIN. Never, ever, use NIN. Unless you're referencing music that is.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Leynos said:

I got your point, but I also use XB, and Nin like many others. Not sure what's so silly about those. Just a shorter form for each that's still clear enough to understand. What is the proper cut off for short forms? I was just pointing out you used a short form in as silly a way as I do, so to each their own as far as I'm concerned. Except for NIN. Never, ever, use NIN. Unless you're referencing music that is.

Sony is 4 letters. It's pretty pointless and silly looking. Nintendo is 8 letters so that makes sense. Are we going to cut The down to TE? It's really lazy honestly. Sry I men lzy. Xbox Series X down to XBSX or XSX would make sense. Xbox to XB? If you mad ea topic "I got an XB" for all I know you got Xenoblade.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
EricHiggin said:

Sony is 4 letters. It's pretty pointless and silly looking. Nintendo is 8 letters so that makes sense. Are we going to cut The down to TE? It's really lazy honestly. Sry I men lzy. Xbox Series X down to XBSX or XSX would make sense. Xbox to XB? If you mad ea topic "I got an XB" for all I know you got Xenoblade.

It's four... letters.

But hey, who's counting?

EricHiggin said:
Leynos said:

Or talk like a Ninja

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
HollyGamer said:

The problem with Xbox controller is why would they named "share button" instead another named if they want to copied at least make it with new name or improve it. Dual sense not just copying, they are improving to another level. Sony are the best re- innovator in technology industries (well every company should do that). There is nothing wrong with copying, but blatantly steal the idea without improving is a laughing matter.  

Don't be so gullible. Every company takes something to improve on it. The Impulse triggers in the X1 controllers were major improvements over any previous rumble designed controller in the past, so credit to where credit is due. HD Rumble was another evolution Nintendo took over previous methods as well. But to rename something that is basically the same thing in another controller does not make it any different.

All companies call there analog sticks.. analog sticks, or the D-Pad a D-Pad.. these were names basically by Nintendo, how come Sony and MS didn't change the names on them? Because like the Share Button, its the same thing, no different to Sony copying Xboxes Home Button etc. They all do it, but lets not praise one company every time they copy others and act like others haven't put in good enough effort. Infact for 3 generations Sony did barely anything to there designs on the Duelshocks aside from add in features that others did first. Sony tried copying Kinect with the PS Camera, and that wasn't better then Kinect 2.0. Sony used cheaper Analog stick material than other controllers leading into quicker wear and tear or a inferior battery life compared to others etc so to claim Sony always improves on something isn't true either. I can name many examples to prove that point here.

The impulse trigger is just a trigger with rumble, nothing new. No new enhancement. 

HD rumble is new they took it from haptic feedback from Apple Macbook touchpad and now it's common use on iPhones screens. Nintendo took it and use it with different names . The same thing with Dual sense haptic feedback they are inspired by Apple and smartphones. Also Dual stick is far from Nintendo joystick , it's improve a lot instead 4 ways like Nintendo 64 it's now rotate 360 degree movement with rubber as base (big improvement from Sony).

Kinect were inspired by Eye toys from PS2 not the other way around, but Eye Toys were inspired from Super Nintendo Toy camera as well. I can praise Microsoft for kinect by improving the tech. 

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Azzanation said:

Don't be so gullible. Every company takes something to improve on it. The Impulse triggers in the X1 controllers were major improvements over any previous rumble designed controller in the past, so credit to where credit is due. HD Rumble was another evolution Nintendo took over previous methods as well. But to rename something that is basically the same thing in another controller does not make it any different.

All companies call there analog sticks.. analog sticks, or the D-Pad a D-Pad.. these were names basically by Nintendo, how come Sony and MS didn't change the names on them? Because like the Share Button, its the same thing, no different to Sony copying Xboxes Home Button etc. They all do it, but lets not praise one company every time they copy others and act like others haven't put in good enough effort. Infact for 3 generations Sony did barely anything to there designs on the Duelshocks aside from add in features that others did first. Sony tried copying Kinect with the PS Camera, and that wasn't better then Kinect 2.0. Sony used cheaper Analog stick material than other controllers leading into quicker wear and tear or a inferior battery life compared to others etc so to claim Sony always improves on something isn't true either. I can name many examples to prove that point here.

The impulse trigger is just a trigger with rumble, nothing new. No new enhancement. 

HD rumble is new they took it from haptic feedback from Apple Macbook touchpad and now it's common use on iPhones screens. Nintendo took it and use it with different names . The same thing with Dual sense haptic feedback they are inspired by Apple and smartphones. Also Dual stick is far from Nintendo joystick , it's improve a lot instead 4 ways like Nintendo 64 it's now rotate 360 degree movement with rubber as base (big improvement from Sony).

Kinect were inspired by Eye toys from PS2 not the other way around, but Eye Toys were inspired from Super Nintendo Toy camera as well. I can praise Microsoft for kinect by improving the tech. 

And people always forget the boomerang and that PS3 since the start was already looking at movement of the control as mean of gameplay.

Can we say that it was very likely that Wii motivated development of PSMove? Yes. But we can also say that it was already a project before, and it was pushed more because of it. Also very hard to call a copy of the gyroscope (that was already in DS3) of Wii and infrabar, when eyetoy already existed to capture motion and PSMove although similar to Wii isn't really that similar.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
HollyGamer said:

And people always forget the boomerang and that PS3 since the start was already looking at movement of the control as mean of gameplay.

Can we say that it was very likely that Wii motivated development of PSMove? Yes. But we can also say that it was already a project before, and it was pushed more because of it. Also very hard to call a copy of the gyroscope (that was already in DS3) of Wii and infrabar, when eyetoy already existed to capture motion and PSMove although similar to Wii isn't really that similar.

Wii was kinda ripping off Xavix Port even tho Xavix Port was a POS. Motion Capture,we can go back to SEGA Activator on Genesis or Dreamcast Fishing Rod or Nintendo NES U-Force. People like to go on an on that X ripped off Y so, therefore, Y is better. Tech is always evolving from borrowed ideas. Hell,Dreamcast had a camera that had an online video sharing service. Famicom had a SHARP system that could capture gameplay and I think SEGA WonderMega could as well. Gaming is now 50 years old. Half a century. There have been so many consoles people never heard of and accessories. It's pointless for those to boast. So many ideas have been floating forever. Online gaming with Gameline in the 80s,X-band in the 90s. You name it that someone thinks is a modern concept,you can find the idea was at least attempted before. So not sure why people care so much who borrowed from who. Everyone has and always will borrow ideas/designs whatever.

HollyGamer said:

"The impulse triggers is just a trigger with rumble, nothing new. No new enhancements"

You do know the X1 controllers have haptic feedback right ontop of impulse triggers or did you forget that part? It consists of 4 motors, two tiny ones in each trigger and 2 bigger ones in the handles for heavy rumbles.

You play Forza and you can feel which side of your car starts spinning out. This is just now coming to PS, tech that is 7 years old.

To say it is nothing new, than praise Sony for adding it 7 years later and claiming its new and improved.. is baffling.

HD rumble and Haptic feedback is not new tech, maybe for you but its tech that competitors are already using.

https://www.gamesradar.com/how-will-the-ps5-dualsense-adaptive-triggers-work-look-to-the-xbox-one-controller-for-answers/

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 April 2020

HollyGamer said:
Azzanation said:

HD Rumble (Switch) and Haptic Feedback Triggers (XB1) say hi. 

The problem with Xbox controller is why would they named "share button" instead another named if they want to copied at least make it with new name or improve it.

If Microsoft had given it a different name you would probably argue now "Why are they trying to hide that it is a share button".

And we don't know yet if they improved the sharing process compared to the PS4... the software scripts triggered by the button can allow much more options and post processing on PS5 and XSX for screenshots and videos... just take a look at Nvidia Ansel.

View on YouTube

Recording and sharing screenshots and videos wasn't something new in 2013... PC gamers have done that since the early 2000's and "Let's Plays" became popular since 2007:

Last edited by Conina - on 10 April 2020

My 2003 PC had a capture card. Then there is the print screen button on a keyboard.