By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look af the PS5 controller. The DualSense

Dig it?

Yay 90 69.23%

Nay 40 30.77%

Total:130

Controller looks like a crab.

Reveal the console Sony! My body is ready.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Best one yet.

this one is slightly better done.

NightlyPoe said:
Xxain said:

Elaborate.

The analog stick is the default control option for 3D games.  It's in the inferior secondary position.

The original Playstation controller was basically an SNES with a grip and extra couple of buttons in the back.  Perfectly functional in the 2D 4th generation, but then the N64 controller came along and made non-analog controllers obsolete as gaming headed into 3D space.  Instead of rethinking their controller design from scratch, Sony's response was to basically to slap a couple of analog sticks at the bottom of their controller.  This left the 2D control scheme the dominant default and the 3D scheme secondary.  Good for retro games that wouldn't see a resurgence for about 15 years, but a poor design choice for the majority of games.

I've expressed this opinion a few times around here.  The Sony controllers' backwards design have always bugged me.  So many people have grown up with the controller always like that, though, that it's just a design flaw that most people don't think about and even defend.

Yes, preposterous, I almost wasn't able to play for 4 generations because of the analog stick positions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Signalstar said:
sales2099 said:

A button isn’t the same as the general design. People see the design similarity much clearer then a button. 

That's ridiculous. A button influences the function of the controller and fundamentally alters how we interact with our games. Of the features introduced on the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One controllers only the DualShock 4's Share button has become a standard. That's the effect of being an innovator and market leader.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/441792/phil-spencer-discusses-xbox-series-x-design-name-controller-games-more/

The Xbox Series X controller is not much different from the Xbox One controller. It does feature a new share button in the middle and a different d-pad. The new controller is slightly smaller than the Xbox One controller, which at first glance most will not notice.

"There were certain things that we've learned through doing the Elite controller and just listening to fans," said Spencer. "One of them is on the d-pad we have a new hybrid d-pad that we've been working on that we think is important, so you'll get a sense of that in the new Xbox wireless controller.

"We do have a share button. We've heard the feedback. We're not the first ones to do a share button, so we're not going to say that we invented that, but we've heard feedback that sharing is such a part of a gaming experience now for many of our players that I wanted a dedicated hardware button to share, so you'll see that. We'll still have all the rumble triggers and haptic feedback that you've had in the console before."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-controller/

Xbox Wire: Why did you decide to add a Share button?

Ryan Whitaker: Gaming is an important way people connect with each other. It’s often how friends hang out and stay in touch. Capturing and sharing epic or meme-worthy moments are part of that experience and should be as quick and unobtrusive as possible. Adding a Share button is the best way to make capturing and sharing instantaneous. It’s easy to just grab a screenshot or record a video without needing on-screen menus. Then you can easily access and share content with your favorite social platforms or directly with friends.

And they made the controller smaller, using sales logic that was because of DS4 being better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

JRPGfan said:
Leynos said:

Best one yet.

this one is slightly better done.

Nah don't like it/ The d-pad and buttons are grey so it no longer resembles the PS1 controller. PS4 had the best one (I bought mine 5 years ago but yet to use it)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
sales2099 said:
Looks like a Xbox controller and DualShock had a baby. I like it, because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Yeah the Xbox Series X and Switch controllers are both very flattering for including the DualShock 4's Share button.

HD Rumble (Switch) and Haptic Feedback Triggers (XB1) say hi. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 09 April 2020

Azzanation said:
Signalstar said:

Yeah the Xbox Series X and Switch controllers are both very flattering for including the DualShock 4's Share button.

Dude, cut it out. We get it. all controllers take from other controllers, that's sort of how gradual evolution happens in technology. you're not clever for pointing it out and neither is anyone else in this thread. You're all just making yourself look like fools for caring about something so trivial. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

EricHiggin said:
Lafiel said:

my theory is that the buttons might light up in the classic colours once the controller is on, but we'll see

edit: that said the blue part might already show it's on..

If the shapes are clear and the LED light glows through, that would kick ass. Maybe it's optional? Gamers have been asking SNY for the option to shut off the DS4 light bar. Maybe all the lights can be shut off on the DS5? The directional arrows on the D-Pad also look to be the same, if they are transparent.

The illuminated buttons idea looks pretty cool in this mock up.

Azzanation said:
Signalstar said:

Runa216 said:
Azzanation said:

Dude, cut it out. We get it. all controllers take from other controllers, that's sort of how gradual evolution happens in technology. you're not clever for pointing it out and neither is anyone else in this thread. You're all just making yourself look like fools for caring about something so trivial. 

Sharing is caring.

As far as I'm concerned, SNY knows they have more than a few XB360 'traitors' who jumped out and onto the PS4 train. Many of them like the general XB controller shape and layout, and some PS4 owners like it as well, or are ok with it anyway. The Switch Pro controller even has that same general shape and layout now, and the DS4 was a step in that direction anyway.

I no doubt think SNY not only saw the move to this overall controller design, but also thought about how best to try and keep that new XB crowd and decided to split the difference. They were never going to change the symmetrical sticks, but changing the body shape was doable because DS4's shape feels more like an XB controller than it does an old DS. If you look at the controllers two tone colors, based on what they've shown us, the white portion (minus the touch pad) looks to be XB design brought in, while the black portions are PS DS design carried over. Makes you wonder if that was somewhat intentional in the artistic design.

NightlyPoe said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, preposterous, I almost wasn't able to play for 4 generations because of the analog stick positions.

(◔_◔)

Please point to the sentence in those three paragraphs where I said the DualShock was virtually unplayable.

No?  Then cut the snark and actually engage instead of reducing everything down to a strawman.

When you stop pretending that what you said is fact.

Hundred million people are perfectly fine with dualshock design for decades, symmetrical included, and a big portion prefere it like that. But they are all wrong, Sony is dumb and lazy, but you know better than everyone. Prefer it like that?